Hello from Hampshire, England at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 11th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Hello from Hampshire, England

I recently quit college (not university) after studying English, Film and Media for six months! I only liked my film lessons and after learning the bare basics I decided education gives you a very limited amount of knowledge, people like Quentin Tarantino don't benefit from doing things by the books!
Anyway, I'm sixteen and do nothing during the week apart from watch films and go on the Internet. I told my family I would go back in September to do an intensive film course- but i'm way too impatient and want to start doin something now!
Last week I wrote a short film screenplay and an extract of an adapted novel, I then realised i'm not a screenplay writer, I'm going to be a film director. I sent off the two screenplays to the William Morris Agency very naively but if only for the fun of waiting for the post in the morning to see if they have any hints for me!
I would love to save up a load of money and move over to California but I can't find a job I like for that long. I work on Sundays at a supermarket but I want to get a full-time job at a film production studio locally but don't know how to go about it!

Can someone help me?
Lisa Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards!

I too live in Hampshire!

I too was in your shoes not to long a go. Once I left secondary school I decided that film and television was going to be my profession. I decided to go to college, but I also decided that I wanted to concentrate on 1 subject, so I choose a 3-year media/ video production course. The good thing about it was that 2 of the days you were doing filmmaking. Yes I also had to put up with some of the textbook stuff but it was all a learning experiencing.

From there I built up a rapport with the teachers. That’s a good thing because every now and again a phone call will come through from a company looking for somebody to "help out". During my time at college I spent a few days at a small production company, and filmed a few "presentations" for various organisations (using the colleges equipment/ my own). By the time I left, a company was looking for a junior broadcast support engineer, they phoned the college, who then phoned me. I applied for the position, and here I am nearly 3 years on still with that company. (I also do my own video stuff when I have the time). I now have my foot in the door...

You could argue that its a bit of luck. But if I didn't go to college, then I don't think I would be in the same position as I am now.

I guess my advice is: Go to college but focus on the subject that suits you. Put up with the textbook teaching; build rapport with your teachers. Give it time and keep knocking on Production Companies doors!

The path is open for you, but don't trip at the first hurdle!

All the best,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM   #3
New Boot

Thankyou very much for your words of wisdom. If there's one thing I won't do, that's give up my dream. I wish you all the luck in the world with your own career and well done for getting so far in such a short time, you are very lucky.
I don't think you will be able to convince me to go back to college but as you live so near I would be very grateful if you kept me in mind if there were any availabilities that would suit my situation at your place of work.

Thankyou
Lisa Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Wrangler

No worries!

All the best, just keep knocking on peoples doors.

cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Hello Lisa, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! Good to have you with us! I'm
from accross the pond myself.

These threads will be of interest to you:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=27043
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=38420
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=37644

To the best of my knowledge there are several (large) studios overthere
(in the London area [only]?) and lots of stuff in production every day of
the week (including some hollywood productions every now and then).

The best thing to do might be to check if you can find some industry
magazine in your country and subscribe to that. The web is a good source
of information this day and age, so try to find production and film companies
in your country and check to see if they have websites etc.

Good luck with your quest!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Lisa

My introduction to TV Land was a bit unorthodox but might be of interest.

A freind of mine took part in Robot Wars and loved it - so I helped him out with a radical new machine that was quite successful - appearing a number of time on the show. I spend a bit of time befriending the crew and just asking questions when they had a few moments free - and also just watching how it all fits together.
When you have been in front of the camera a few times you build confidence and learn the important lessons - like not looking into the camera lens, talking unnaturally slowly (compared to normal!) and also about takes - if you do it wrong - dont panic - take a deep breath and do it again whilst you remember what you did wrong!

As a result of this, I now don't mind doing interviews and get pushed to the front when my employer needs an "expert" for TV interviews. (5th Gear, Wrecks to Riches etc.) This means I get to talk to even more crews and fascinating people. If you time it right and ask sensible questions, most are very happy to talk to you. Building relationships and contacts like this is ABSOLUTELY vital if you want to get in the game. (I don't... but thats not the issue!)

So - why not apply for some game shows as a contestant - meet the crews - - befriend them - even offer to help out and work for free if you can - you never know where your lead in may come from...........

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood