Newer ProHD EX camera: picture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Newer ProHD EX camera: picture

ProHD EX:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...is/img/p04.jpg

From page:

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...ml#futureReady

Seems to be Multi-bit rate, Multi-Format big brother to the HD100. I think this would be more worth the HD100's price.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

ProHD Ex - GYHD7000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
ProHD EX:
Seems to be Multi-bit rate, Multi-Format big brother to the HD100. I think this would be more worth the HD100's price.
I think that is the GY-HD7000.

Yeah, I'd take it for the HD100 price but unfortunately JVC will be looking for over 4 times that price for it based on the interview with JVC's Dave Walton:

http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...jsp?id=31724-1

"That’s where we have the next step covered, because this GY-HD7000 is a $27,950 camera—that’s including the lens—that will offer true high-end performance, either 720p or 1080i, and it’s switchable. It has 2/3” chips, interchangeable standard lenses, conventional form factor, and even an optional HD-SDI input and output, so you can take pool feeds, for example, in HD."
Don Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

There are some folks in this business who will tell you that $30k for such a camera is a bargain.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Hollywood Studio Rentals

I would be such a folk.

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer & DP
http://www.LAProHD.org
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sorry, there has been some confusion. There was 'rumour' talk of a camera between he HD100 and the $27K camera. I thought this in between camera might be the 7000. Does that picture really look like the $27K camera?

There is a large gap between their cameras, and I wondered what else they are going to put in between. I have recently heard that there is 1/3rd and 1/2 inch Altasens chips. I heard the 1/2 and 2/3rd are going mass production end of this month, at the time of the release of the 1/3rd, which will be a bit behind those. But all this should be taken as rumour, and not fact for the time being.
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Looks and matches the features close enough not to think it's a 3rd camera:
http://www.hdvinfo.com/articles/jvcp...cprohdgear.jpg

A 1/2" camera at ~$15K would be an interesting way to fill the gap. It would provide an easier migration path especially if HD100 owners are going to purchase 1/2" lenses.
Old April 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #7
Wrangler

I don't want to venture into Area 51 territory but I swear I remember seeing info about a so called HD400 model with 1/2 chips coming in at around $18K (lens included) during the initial talk of the HD100. Was to be released not long after the HD100 IIRC.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I see what you mean, from that side it does look more like it, except they're opposite sides ;) You might be right, well see what comes out. I think they should have gone 3K 6K and 15K cameras. Now well probably see 3K, 6K, 10K and 20K cameras.

More news on the new Altasens, yes it looks like 1/3inch and not the 1/2inch model, mass production looks to be months away. Still take it only as opinion on rumour again. By the way, what 1/3inch sensors is JVC using in the HD100. aren't they in house sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Crockett
Looks and matches the features close enough not to think it's a 3rd camera:
http://www.hdvinfo.com/articles/jvcp...cprohdgear.jpg

A 1/2" camera at ~$15K would be an interesting way to fill the gap. It would provide an easier migration path especially if HD100 owners are going to purchase 1/2" lenses.
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #9
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

There isn't much in this thread that seems accurate from my vantage point. Not enough that is accurate to form a comment around.
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Freed JVC
There isn't much in this thread that seems accurate from my vantage point. Not enough that is accurate to form a comment around.
Ken,

Can you say whether the "ProHD XE" depiction in the graph is referring to the GY-HD7000 or to some other camera or cameras to be announced in the next year+? What feaures does "ProHD XE" offer beyond what we've seen for "ProHD" ?

Any details you can fill in on "multi-format, multi-bit rate capability, and somethig more, and to establish a ProHD-XE" from:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...ml#futureReady

"the ProHD system is specifically designed to adapt to the changing needs and technologies of the future." Does this refer to future cameras or will the HD100 be upgradeable?

Thanks!

Don
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Ken,

How about the picture of the mockup shown at last year's NAB. Please look at the bottom of the front page of www.hdvinfo.net and you'll see the camera I was recalling in my post above. Whatever happened to this camera?

thanks and regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hmm, if it was 'totally' inaccurate you could totally dismiss it. Is it internal head office information?

Now that the HD100 has been released could I ask a favour for us JVC fans. I had a thread about a firmware patch to the HD series and PD1 in Japan to output 720p at 24fps (25fps for Pal), I think through Firewire. Would JVC now allow this patch to be released? The HD10 suffers here (Australia) because no 25fps mode, and the PD1 because no 720p mode. The HD100 is so much better than the HD10/PD1 that such a patch is no real threat to it's sales, but will help existing users.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=36574

Also something that would be nice, is it possible to get uncompressed output through Firewire, component, or hidden ports?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems