Videographers Wireless communication system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Videographers Wireless communication system

Hello,
I'm getting ready to buy the TD902VS - videographers special 2-person wireless intercom system for $375.

Is there another way that is less expensive to have good quality, effective communication between videographers at an event?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave K.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Major Player

FRS radios with earbuds and vox activated send. Be sure to find the variety that allow you to have the page mode set to silent.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a set (TD-902). I love it. You have to bend the headphones to a custom fit when you get them BTW - right out of the box they didn't fit. The range is excellent and you can even wisper and there's no problem hearing. I think it was worth the money.

I hate to disagree with Jimmy but VOX blows. FULL DUPLEX is best because it's just like a telephone - you can talk and hear at the same time and no one gets cut off.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks, guys.
All other suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Haven't done this with weddings, but I shoot some stuff for local TV stations and since a lot of the events are on weekends, I prefer to use a cell phone with a headset (free weekend minutes) =D
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The Eartec is a great system. We have used them for shoots and they have worked flawlessly.

hehe i tried vox and frs and the hands free phone. ill never do it again. Just invest the money for a good intercom system. it will be well worth it in the long run.
Gregory Doi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Craig: You never have to say you are sorry for offering a counter position to anything I keyboard upon this board. I just love the open dialogue and there is never any pressure when that 2 way info exchange happens. I love it! And I'll be the first to stand up and say how much I have learned and put into use from this great resource! Keep the tips coming.

The other less expensive route to go, as you indicated that you might like to keep costs down, is the vhf set from the low end electronics store. Clunky, short range and to concur with Craig, very true, the vox is poor.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #8
New Boot

Okay then. Thank you all for the input.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Do I need an intercom?

At the wedding rehearsal, I get my shots approved by B&G, so I've never felt the need for voice communication between my assistant and I once the ceremony has begun. We decide before the wedding who is covering what, and things work out fine; when I find during editing, however, that we're both zooming or panning at the same time, I patch up the timeline with cutaways shot before the wedding. I'm not saying that intercoms don't have their place in event videography, I just think that with planning, there should be little to talk about during the wedding ceremony.

Maybe I'll rent an intercom for my next multi-videographer shoot. If this will help me shoot better footage, I will invest in an intercom system. Heh. I like the cell phone idea for starters.

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #10
Tourist

I use PMR446's (Motorola XTNs) over here for any event I'm managing. I tend to stick to vox along with anyone whose mobile with a camera.
Static cameras (including tripods) I use a stealth earpiece allowing them a ptt button on their sleeve cuff.

Regards

Alastair
Alastair Weller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Does anyone know how the Eartec models compare with the Clear-com or the more expensive Porta-com sets?

I thought I read more about these Eartecs in another thread, but not much came up in the search forums function.
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The eartec are good for the price. You really won't get much more until you are spending $1000.

My shoot partner and I have been working together for years. We plan and communicate better than just about anybody else I have seen. With that in mind, the intercom was one of the best investments we have made.

Planning shots ahead of time is essential but it does not replace an intercom. Free and open (read: duplex) communication allows all kinds of control over shots. We can get so many more CU's and detail shots while making sure we are covered by the other shooter. He locks, I roam and vice versa.

They also are priceless when things start going sideways. I would not shoot a wedding without one again.
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
You never have to say you are sorry for offering a counter position to anything I keyboard upon this board.
As Lumford said in the cinematic classic, "Yeah, I'm going to sort of have to kind of .... disagree with you on that."
Roger Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #14
New Boot

Lumburg... it was Lumburg. Sorry that I haven't nothing technical to contribute to the post.
Matt Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
The eartec are good for the price. You really won't get much more until you are spending $1000.

My shoot partner and I have been working together for years. We plan and communicate better than just about anybody else I have seen. With that in mind, the intercom was one of the best investments we have made.

Planning shots ahead of time is essential but it does not replace an intercom. Free and open (read: duplex) communication allows all kinds of control over shots. We can get so many more CU's and detail shots while making sure we are covered by the other shooter. He locks, I roam and vice versa.

They also are priceless when things start going sideways. I would not shoot a wedding without one again.
I just bought theTD900 Pro series to test them out. They did not work. I am guessing that I have to set my own frequency on each one. The reception is not all that clear, but I will call Eartec on Monday to see what the issues may be. I had expected to use them "right out of the box" after charging up the batteries, but that was not the case. The headphones are also smaller than they appear in the photos. I hope that they will work out, but I am rather disappointed at my initial trial. :o(
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques