PD150 on a Glidecam 2000 PRO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 25th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Major Player

PD150 on a Glidecam 2000 PRO

Possibly more suited to the Support Your Cam forums, but those guys own scarily big rigs, whereas I know everyone here at least has a PD150.

My rig is generally a PD150 w/ the Sony 0.7x and a 960 (think thats the right model#) 8hour battery on the back.

I haven't had time to try recently, but I've had an impossible time trying to balance the thing, Ive read the manual multiple times, but still no luck. Does anyone else have a GC2K for their 150/170 , if so what combo of weights are you using at least? That'll hopefully give me a kick in the right direction.. drop time seems to be ok, but I just can't keep the thing steady... argh!

(Never knew how heavy the whole thing would be too, I need to work out more!)
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Trustee

I flew my VX2100 this last weekend. I have 4 big washers on each side and the mast is about half down. You weigh a little more, but I would guess the same washers with a slightly shorter height.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Cheers for that, I'll start off with that as a base and see if I can get more joy out of it :) Thanks
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi James

I use a Glidecam 2000 with my PD-150. One thing that is different is that I use a Canon WD-58 WA lens, which is a little lighter than the Sony model. I also use a quick release plate, which adds weight as well.

I have the mast fully extended and I use 5 of the big weights.

Do you use your thumb and 1st finger on your left hand to help guide and steer the Glidecam?
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Major Player

I spent some of today balancing 5 GC2000’s with nearly the exact same set up (PD170s)

You need 4 disks on each side and as has been said, the post is about half way.

Good luck,

-Rick.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #6
Wrangler

James:

If the rig sits level when you aren't touching it, and the drop time is OK, it sounds like you either have a mechanical problem or an operating issue. If you have any way to post a short video of yourself doing a simple move with the rig, we would be able to critique your form and see if there is anything obvious that needs addressing.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can get a chance over the weekend to try it again, and if there's still no luck I'll shoot a quick video with my other camera. Much happier behind the lens mind! :)

Cheers
James Connors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)