Converting DVD to AVI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting DVD to AVI

I came back from a vacation where you do this activity and the company videotapes it for you. So I've got a DVD with my family and a bunch of people I don't know on it. I want to take the DVD, convert it to AVI (best quality possible), and re-edit it so it's just my family. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of program I should use? Thanks.
Matthew Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Trustee

First rip the DVD to your hard drive with DVD Decrypter. Then convert it to an avi with DGMPGDec.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; June 1st, 2005 at 05:24 PM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Does DVD2AVI encodes it with DivX or can it make a raw AVI or Microsoft DV AVI?
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Trustee

I just learned that the original DVD2AVI had unfixed bugs. You should now use DGMPGDec, which is DVD2AVI with a bunch of bug fixes. I've updated my first post to reflect this.
Quote:
Does DVD2AVI encodes it with DivX or can it make a raw AVI or Microsoft DV AVI?
I honestly don't know. You'll just have to try it. You won't lose anything if it doesn't, as the program is completely free.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM   #5
Trustee

rip the mpeg's off of the dvd, but use the womble mpeg editor to cut out the stuff you don't want... that way you won't lose any video quality, because you won't be converting/re-encoding the mpeg's to another format.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
First rip the DVD to your hard drive with DVD Decrypter. Then convert it to an avi with DGMPGDec.
Jeez whiz. Are there instructions on how to use DGMPGDec? There doesn't seem to be any in the program itself, nor on the website.
Old June 18th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

you do not need to decrypt anything, since i doubt that a personal DVD comes with any kind of protection.
the best converter on the market is max DVD to avi.
http://www.dvd-converter.com/
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Trustee

the womble editor will edit the vob's directly, no need to "convert" anything... just copy the entire dvd right over to your hard drive.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Weitz
Are there instructions on how to use DGMPGDec? There doesn't seem to be any in the program itself, nor on the website.
A zip file that has an older version contains a Quick Start guide. You can download it at http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-14565.html.

I also found this guide, "How to frameserve DVD/MPEG2/HDTV to an advanced video editor", that shows how to edit the DVD contents in Premiere (or another editor) without actually converting the DVD to an avi.
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

i was just about to ask the same question here... but you beat me to it ;)
thanks!

I'll try the dgmpgdec -- hope it doesnt cause too much problem.

I was given footage for a DVD I'm creating, and need to include it in my multi-cam edit... So I'll have to figure out how to get the file to import into FCP

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring