Just a simple question, GL1 vs. HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 31st, 2005, 10:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Just a simple question, GL1 vs. HC1

Will this camera kick the poo out of the Canon GL1 I'm currently using? I don't want to shell out for the A1 because it's a little more than I want (I would rather put that $3500 towards an HVX200 but $2000 would be more acceptable).
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It's not a simple like for like, you are kind of falling half way between the HC1 and FX1 with the Canon.
If you go for the HC1 you are going to miss the form of the Canon, the 3ccd and the 20x optical lens and stabiliser, but you do get HDV and good dv 16 x9 in a small form. The FX1 aside from the extra cost seems a better deal and more of a match for features v HDV.
I have all 3 cams and my quick verdict would be-
Canon GL- Best Lens and Optical Stabiliser
FX1 -best HDV and DV, Good Manual control
HC1- HDV Very close to FX1 in Good light, Poor night shots
average electronic stabilisation but killer price
Regards
Paul
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Actually, I'm in a similar situation. I have a GL2 and I love it. I need a second camera for weddings and I'm stuck between going with another GL2 for matching colors between shots, or getting something that at least takes me into the realm of HDV. There's a rebate on the GL2 until September 30th.
If I knew Canon had something coming by the end of the year, I'd wait. I sure would like to see an HC-1 in person, though. Anybody know who carries them in Atlanta?
It seems like in good light, the HC-1 would be close to the GL1 or 2. I don't know how 1 CMOS sensor compares to 3 CCD's, though, especially as far as colors go. Hmmm....
- John
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Even though we're getting great reports about the image quality of the HC1 I would be concerned with a couple things. First, there seems to be no manual control of shutter speed and iris. Second, the tape loads from the bottom which means you have to remove it from a tripod.

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong about these things, or let us know how much of a problem they really are.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for your help guys. I too am worried about the lack of manual shutter and iris control. Also, it does indeed load from the bottom, I hadn't noticed that before and thought about the consequences. I guess it would be a fun camera to have, but if the image is close to the FX1's in a small package, then I guess I'll have to see one in person to make my full decision. Luckily, I'm going to San Francisco on Thursday, so I'll go to the Sony Metreon and (hopefully) take a look at one there.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Major Player

I bought my HC1 about two weeks ago. I recorded my nephew's batptism in church. They have mostly candles and natural light. It captured bright dressed persons fairly well but darker clothes wasn't that good. So low light performance is a problem. Esp when you can't light up the location (e g church).

Additionally you must consider any updates your editing solution might need. Of course you can output to DV.

Being the first camera I own I think it's very good. I have done some stuff with Canon XL-2 and I was quite sure that the XL-2 has better pictures. I am thinking of doing A-B test and blowing them up on a HD-screen a friend have.
I just reviewed some recording of same location with the XL-2 and HC1 (only a few weeks a part). HC1 is downconverted to DV. My eyes might be deceiving me but the HC1 pictures looks about the same. And it was shot on a cloudy day while the XL-2 had a bright day.

Initially I was gonna say that I wouldn't recommend a buy but now I am not sure. In a few months time when I have done some more stuff I know for shure.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

manual shutter control available

the HC1 does not have manual aperture but does have manual shutter control available.

Also, aperture can be controlled manualy but combined with gain. There are ways around (indirect) to figure out when gain kicks in.

I bought it and i like it. highly recommend it

maximo
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have FCP, so editing wouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering about whether to buy another GL@ or go to the HC1 or wait for whatever Canon comes out with.
- John
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo Salaberry
the HC1 does not have manual aperture but does have manual shutter control available.

Also, aperture can be controlled manualy but combined with gain. There are ways around (indirect) to figure out when gain kicks in.

I bought it and i like it. highly recommend it

maximo

From right to left; 18dB, 15dB, 12dB, 9dB, 6dB, 3dB and 0dB. Then the iris starts closing until you hit about f-stop 4.8. Everything beyond that may be built in ND filter because I heard someone mention that their HC1 "mysteriously" stops keeping track of aperture, even though it still gets darker as you move to the left. The furthest setting to the left is CLOSED iris.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Look, ma, no ND filter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
... Everything beyond that may be built in ND filter because I heard someone mention that their HC1 "mysteriously" stops keeping track of aperture, even though it still gets darker as you move to the left.
No built-in ND filters! CMOS has a higher dynamic range (14 bits), and uses it. The camera is simply trimming off bits to bring the range in line. So altogether the exposure control modifies three parameters: aperture, gain, and a sliding window across the signal values coming from the sensor. Check out my article on the subject:

http://hdvforever.com/hdv/exposure/

-Lorin
Lorin Thwaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Bottom line:

GL1 = more manual control
HC1 = HDV ability

DO NOT COMPARE CAMCORDERS JUST BECAUSE OF PRICE. The HC1 is a consumer camcorder with HDV ability while the GL1 is intended for prosumers. Totally different market.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jack, can I ask you why you are searching for (possibly) a GL1 instead of a GL2?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series