XL2 Feature Tour Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 4th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #1
DV Creators

XL2 Feature Tour Video

Hi, I wanted you folks to be the first to know about an "XL2 Feature Tour" movie we just uploaded- it's 35 minutes long and requires Quicktime 7, it's encoded in H.264 at about 400 kbps for the video (50 KB/sec) and AAC audio at 128 kbps (16 KB/sec).

I would appreciate some feedback on how long it takes the movie to start playing, if it plays consistently, and, oh yeah, about the content itself!! :)

We have not hosted a movie this big before so this is the first big stress test of our new server.

It's the link that says "Watch the XL2 Feature Tour Video" near the top of this page: www.dvcreators.net

Thanks and enjoy!

Josh

p.s. it will be on DVD soon
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

I can't even get the main site to respond. Maybe you got swamped with everyone trying to watch the video.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3
DV Creators

Greg, you are right, the server was down... it's back up now. I'm going to see how things go over the next few hours, I may have to pull the video and wait until I can hijack it playing off Canon's site ;)

But it's back up for the moment... sorry for the inconvenience!
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That was very nicely done. I liked it a lot.
Late
Jeff
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #5
DV Creators

Thanks!

Just FYI, it seems to be playing fine for everyone now...
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #6

Great!!

Josh,

Thanks for posting this. I just got my XL2 a few weeks ago so your video increased my XL2 knowledge by 1000%. The settings section explaining all of the various settings for different styles, looks, adjustments etc. (knee, cine, etc.) was just what I needed.

Canon should buy partial rights to this video from you guys and post it on their XL2 page.

As far as the viewing quality - streamed just fine. Loaded quick through my cable connection, no problems at all. It was fully loaded when the video was only about 1/10th of the way through. You all did a nice job with editing the video as well and made it a joy to watch... again and again :).

I've bookmarked DVcreators.net!!!!
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Trustee

Quicktime 7 preview 2 is not recommended on production machines as it's integration with many other applications is not final. For me it screwed up Adobe Premiere Pro and upon searching the Adobe forums this is a known issue of the beta. reinstalling QT 6.5 release version fixed it but now I can't see any of these h.264 quicktimes. Anyone else seeing this behavior? JUst wish apple would get the final out sooner.

For now I plan on installing the QT preview 2 on my laptop. BUt I thought I should forewarn anyone using Premiere Pro and Quicktime that there may be issues.

Chris, feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if this is not needed here. I just know many will download QT7 as a result of seeing this message and that might mess up some other software.

Thanks,
Marty

(I will comment on the video as soon as I get to see it!)
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

good job!

love the video
love the women.
I have two XL2's but after watching your video I need to go out and buy another!

Did you use Motion for 2D text and graphic effects?
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #9
Trustee

I just watched the video and it was excellent. Samples were great and really show off the camera. Top-notch! And it streamed excellent.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I want this camera... sigh.
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #11
DV Creators

Marty, thanks for the valuable heads-up on QT7 and Premiere Pro (we have a PP workstation here). I will encode an FLV version that should play for everyone, I am just experimenting with H.264 and that's why that was first.

We used After Effects for the intro and other animations, and used Motion for the diagrams, like the 2:3:3:2 pulldown, because you can animate along with the VO in real time, which gave it the edge over AE in those cases.
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I agree with Derek, Canon should put this on their website! Can't you show it to them somehow?
I'm sure it would be good for them, really nice and informative video!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Either I'm blind, tired, or the link has been removed... Guess that's what I get for spending more time at the hospital with my wife, than on the computer! :) Joking, joking....

I'd love to take a look at this vid if possible....
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #14

link was moved

The link was moved. Click the "shoot" button under the production section on the top menu. Then scoll down until you see a pic of the XL2, which is about mid-way through the page on the left. You'll see the link next to the XL2 photo.
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #15
Wrangler

Good stuff there, Josh. Finally got to see it here on the Imac. Looked really good and streamed well.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders