Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Starting a light set up for interviews

Hello,

Not to clutter the board, but I wanted to refocus my questions about my potential light set up.

I've recently upgraded my camera to a PDX 10, and have a nice AT lav mic for audio. I'm shooting one-on-one interviews, fairly tight shots.

I am shooting an interview Monday night and would love to pick up something on Sunday to boost the current set up light-wise.

My lighting right now consists of a lone Lowel Pro Light. I'd like to create a set up organically, adding as I find the need, and am ready to add another piece.

I was originally considering just getting a mini light bank for the pro light, but when I check out B&H, I realize for the same price I could buy an additional light, which might be a smarter choice value-wise for me.

Can anyone recommend a good light that would work well with the Lowel Pro for interviews? I'm looking at spending $150-$250 (light & stand).

Thank you!
http://www.defkon.com
Konstantin Vilenchitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I too, am looking for a simple, not too expensive lighting

As the gentleperson above, I too, am looking for lights for interviews and for shooting small auditorium lectures. I beleive 500/1000 switchable soft boxes with one or two direct lighting would meet my needs.

Any suggestions...offers? I've listed a WTB in the classified. I am seeking advice here as well.

Thanks

billrankin@aol.com
Bill Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess these beginner questions get tiresome for more experienced A/V people.

Bill, how close are you shooting from? Do you already have a light set up that you're looking to expand on or are you starting from scratch?
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rankin
As the gentleperson above, I too, am looking for lights for interviews and for shooting small auditorium lectures. I beleive 500/1000 switchable soft boxes with one or two direct lighting would meet my needs.

Any suggestions...offers? I've listed a WTB in the classified. I am seeking advice here as well.

Thanks

billrankin@aol.com

Hey Bill,

500w-1000w softboxes should suit your auditorium shooting very well. I would also suggest a Lowel Rifa softbox for a key and a Lowel mini Pro as a back-light for your interviews. Buy dimmers and a good C-stand..
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, Stephanie. There are so many options it's hard to know where to confidently spend the money.

Would a Rifa 44 / 250 Watt be a sufficient key? I think for the moment I'll pick up a diffused glass filter for the pro light, and save a little for the proper Rifa set up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Vilenchitz
Thanks for the advice, Stephanie. There are so many options it's hard to know where to confidently spend the money.

Would a Rifa 44 / 250 Watt be a sufficient key? I think for the moment I'll pick up a diffused glass filter for the pro light, and save a little for the proper Rifa set up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Hello Konstantin,

Yes, the Rifa 44/250 watt would be a more than an adequate key light. The Pro-Light is alittle too focused for a key, in my opinion......even with the glass filter.

I have been shot down to my knees many times due to the superior knowledge that others have shared on this site. Please take this advice knowing that I am simply sharing what little I know..

You should expect a more intelligent reponse in the future,

All the best,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Wilson
Yes, the Rifa 44/250 watt would be a more than an adequate key light. The Pro-Light is alittle too focused for a key, in my opinion......even with the glass filter.
Good to know about the Rifa. Sounds like it has a very easy set up too, which is great. Look forward to eventually picking that up.

My first inclination was to to go with a softbox for my prolight but I feel like if I spend that money towards the Rifa, it would be a wiser investment.

I can only budget so much towards my vid equipment until it starts paying more bills! :) Thankfully the necessary supplies for graphic design are not as numerous, heh heh.
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You could also check out a florescent light you build yourself.

http://www.film-and-video.com/broadc...s-30bucks.html

Soft light quality, low wattage:light output ratio (so no blowing fuses or melting/burning things).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Here's another option you might consider, Konstantin. For $219.00, you can get a 500 watt softbox from JTL Everlight. To be perfectly honest, the JTL softlight will take about 5 minutes to set-up, and the Rifa will take about 5 seconds. But if you are on a tight budget, it might be worth investigating. here is a link to JTL, and here is a link to a retailer. But that's not all. Pony up another hundred bucks, and you can get a golf club case from SKB (standard model) that will provide the space for your lights, stands, stingers and the other gear you want to buy. With a carry handle and wheels, it should be subway friendly, if you don't make it too heavy to carry up and down those stairs. The JTL softbox light and the SKB golf case will cost you less than the Rifa alone. Just a thought.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
You could also check out a florescent light you build yourself.

http://www.film-and-video.com/broadc...s-30bucks.html

Soft light quality, low wattage:light output ratio (so no blowing fuses or melting/burning things).

Hello,

I read through the article quickly but didn't see any reference to where to get the lights.

Am I missing something?

Do you have a source?

Thanks !!
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Anthony, try this article:
http://www.dv.com/news/news_item.jht...2004/graff0404
registration required.

It has more information on those do-it-yourself lights.

You'll have to go to a hardware yourself and find some appropriate florescents.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks folks...

For the information and opinions. I am shooting in a small auditorium around christmas or shortly thereafter, so I think the soft boxes are all I'll need and perhaps one broad background light. The subject will be walking short distances on the stage.

I'll be shooting from approximately 50-70 feet away...there will be amply lighting from outdoors and recessed ceiling light...

Again, thanks everyone....

Last edited by Bill Rankin; August 8th, 2005 at 11:35 AM. Reason: PS
Bill Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Anthony, try this article:
http://www.dv.com/news/news_item.jht...2004/graff0404
registration required.

It has more information on those do-it-yourself lights.

You'll have to go to a hardware yourself and find some appropriate florescents.
Thanks Glenn
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Hehe

That film-and-video.com article on the DIY fluorescents mentions "A perfect example was a recent shoot for A&E's investigative documentary series titled American Justice with host Bill Curtis. "

My DVX100A was used on that shoot. I bought it used, from Bill Kurtis' production company, LOL. It's got pedigree. :P

Great people there, by the way.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I picked up light stands and the neon but I've had a hard time finding those silly pinch clips! I've hit 5 hardware stores in the City so far and they either don't carry them or are sold out. I guess a lot of Grafflights are being put together! :)

I saw them online though, so I'll have to just do that to finish the kit.

I'm really impressed by the pics that were in the article(s). I hope my strips turn out similar results.

Thanks for your tip as well, Wayne! That does seem like a good option. I'm even more enthusiastic about the case you suggested. That sounds ideal for me.
Konstantin Vilenchitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management