bogen/manfrotto tripod suggestion please? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 16th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

bogen/manfrotto tripod suggestion please?

Hello, everybody

Tripods and video heads aren't really my specialty, and I need a bit of guidance for purchasing a bogen or manfrotto tripod and video head. I'm undecided as to a tripod, but I'll be using an 8ft. crane on it eventually (I'm going to need a good load cpacity). As for a video head, I think the manfrotto 316 (10mm bowl) looks the best, but it may be too expensive; I'm not sure how much it costs. I need a 100mm bowl head (or one that doesn't give "sea-sickness"), that can rotate 360 degrees or close to it, pan fluidly, etc.

So I basically just need some reccomendations at a fair price. I'm not very sure as to what I need/want right now, so I'm open to any suggestions. If you think there's any info I should know about tripods/video heads, such as physics, weight/balance issues, etc. please let me know!

Thanks a lot,

~Clint Grant~
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

alright, I just found out the manfrotto 316 costs nearly $1000. Forgeat that one.
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm thinking anout getting the manfrotto 3046 tripod, with the 501 head. Is there anything wrong with this setup? Thanks,

~Clint Grant~
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Grant
I'm thinking anout getting the manfrotto 3046 tripod, with the 501 head. Is there anything wrong with this setup? Thanks,

~Clint Grant~
Clint,

You finally got your XL1s huh? I checked the items you listed, and it seems to be mismatched. I believe the tripod is rated for 26 pounds and as far as weight rating, that is overkill for the XL1s. I would go for a lighted tripod and a better head. I know that money is an issue, but I would recommend at least the 503 head, which is another $100.00 or so more than the 501.

I am getting ready to sell a brand new 501, and I'm telling you that it is because the differance between the 503 and the 501 is that much. I had a 503 and needed another, so bought a 501. Not nearly the same. If you really want a 501, I'll sell you mine.

Good luck.

Mike
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Major Player

I just ordered a 503 head as part of a kit 403/351MVB2K (I think). 503 head, decnet legs, mid-level spreader, 75mm ball and bag for under $500. I felt the 503 was worth the extra money. I may have a used 3046 (legs only) available if anyone interested. And Mike, I would be interested in your 501 to put on my monopod. Please email me a price.
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks

okay, your advice on the 503 head over the 501 is great. However, would the 3046 legs be overkill even if I were using an 8ft. crane on it? Thanks a lot,
~Clint Grant~
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
okay, your advice on the 503 head over the 501 is great. However, would the 3046 legs be overkill even if I were using an 8ft. crane on it? Thanks a lot,
~Clint Grant~

Missed the crane part, maybe better with the 3046 then. Just get the 503 over the 501. The extra $110.00 is well spent.

Mike
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

alright, thanks. I checked a bit, but could only see a difference in load capacity between 501 and 503. What exactly is the difference between 501 and 503? Thank you very much,

~Clint Grant~
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Major Player

I second the 503 option! The 501 "sticks" sometimes at the beggining of a pan. Not very useful! The 503 is WELL worth the extra $100.

I tend to like having a tripod devoted to crane work. This leaves your "cinema" tripod free so you don't have to break down the crane just to get at your tripod for other shots. In my book I show you how to butch up a $80 surveyor's tripod to hold a crane. If the crane is a small one, you might not even have to alter at all. Eventhough I have a couple of wood sticks, I tend to use a surveyor's tripod quite a lot for regular DV work. Another upside is you save enough money on the tripod to get a much better fluid head.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
alright, thanks. I checked a bit, but could only see a difference in load capacity between 501 and 503. What exactly is the difference between 501 and 503? Thank you very much,

~Clint Grant~
The difference is that:

1. The 503 is a true fluid head, meaning that the plates don't touch each other, and there a viscous, meaning thick, liquid between them. They are sealed and will last a long time. The 501 is I guess you could say, just two plates that have some lubricant between them. It is pretty good once you have started moving and the liquid spreads and becomes more even, but can kind of stick on that first initial move because the plates have settled together. Also, the 503 has better or more fine control over the resistance.

2. The 503 has an internal spring balancer. That is the farther you tilt the camera forward or back, the more the springs compensate for the weight offset. Your camera and the gear you have attached to it weight a certain amount. When the camera is level or pointed straight ahead, it is pretty much neutral and there is little difference in weight forward to rear. As you tilt the camera forward for instance, the majority of the camera weight moves forward. To keep it from just falling forward, you have to add move resistance to the head just to keep it from falling all the way to the front. If you have a 10 lb camera, and tilt it forward 90 degrees, like shooting straight down at something, the full 10 lbs is hanging on the tilt resistance. At 45 degrees, I’m not going to try to do the math, but you may have 5 lbs hanging on the tilt resistance. Just to keep everything from falling forward, you are going to have to lock the tilt mechanism. No more being able to tilt it again until you unlock it. The 503 has the springs, as I mentioned, which I think have 5 lbs of resistance gradually applied. This compensates for the weight transfer and evens it out.

If there is a store somewhere near you, take your camera and try it out. Or maybe find a friend who has one. For your outfit, I think most everyone would agree that the 503 is the minimum.

Sorry to be so wordy. I hope that this helps.

I wanted to add that a lot depends on the weight of the camera. I believe you bought an XL1s, which is going to weight near 10 lbs mounted with options. That is about what my XL1s is with mic, varizoom monitor-hood-battery and such added. If I were to put my JY-HD10U on the 501, it would not make near as much difference. It is a very lite camera, and would need little weight compensation. I may just keep my 501 to use with it. Sorry Bob, I think that is what I will do. Have three tripods anyway. I'll just buy another 503--Damn-more money.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; August 17th, 2005 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added moire.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks everyone, all point well taken. I think I'm going to go for the 503. Thanks for stopping me from making a possible mistake.

~Clint Grant~
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Great choice Clint, best of luck to you.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads