What all speakers are needed for surround monitoring? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 30th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #1

What all speakers are needed for surround monitoring?

I've got 2 ps8 event speakers. Nice speakers. What all do I need to complete my speaker quota for surround sound? Please give details. Rather technically inept. How about for 5.1 then 6.1 then 7.1. Thanks.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #2

The M-Audio LX4 2.1 System with the LX4 5.1 Expander System is an excellent place to start.

For "details," try doing a web search. That's the best way to learn.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #3

Or, 3 more PS8's, although that's a lot for surround unless you've got a reasonably big room.
Plus you need a sub, which is the .1 in 5.1

Then you need a sound card that can manage a minimum of 6 outputs. I'd definitely not be worrying about 6.1 or 7.1 at this time.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #4

Thanks guys, anyone else? Anyone? Buler? Buler?
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Spot is on.
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Maher
I've got 2 ps8 event speakers. Nice speakers. What all do I need to complete my speaker quota for surround sound? Please give details. Rather technically inept. How about for 5.1 then 6.1 then 7.1. Thanks.
Well, I have heard it said that, ideally, you want all your
speakers to be the same model.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

any recommendations for a 5.1 speaker set that's under $200?

I'm in a small edit suite, and I don't need to blast the sound. If I get a system with hundreds of watts, I'll only be turning the volume up to "3" !

I'd just like a set with good fidelity.

for instance, the Logitech X-530 Computer Speakers $60 (from B&H)
shouldn't 70 watts be plenty?

or what about Logitech Z-5450 Digital wireless 5.1 Speaker System
$225.21 (from amazon.com)

any interference problems using wireless speakers?

Thanks for your help ~
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #8

First off, the lower the volume, the less likely you can get any sort of an accurate mix. And, the lower the level, the more important the quality of the system becomes.
Having said that...a budget system such as the logitech is designed for playback of processed media, it isn't designed for critical monitoring. The lowest cost 5.1 system I've seen is the M-audio LX series, and it's a bit more than 200.00 with 5 enclosures.

While budget and max levels are important considerations, if you're doing work for anyone but your own home theatre, it's also incumbent that you provide the best product you can afford to. Monitors are the most critical component to that endeavor (with regards to audio)

I've never used wireless speaks, so don't know if interference would be a problem or not, maybe someone else can comment.
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #9
Major Player

are you saying a Logitech system isn't good for video editing because it boosts certain frequences to make movies and gaming more exciting?

Or are the speakers not clear/responsive enough to hear fine detail ?

My ears aren't what they used to be, so I wonder if I'd even hear the difference? (!)

I've editing projects just using small computer speakers - and they sound fine. Unless the audio is obviouly mis-mixed (background audio drowning out the dialog), I can't imagine that it would matter that much.

And, it's possible to mix on a hi-end system and have it turn out sounding bad on a basic tv sound system.

we used to have a pair of small speakers that we'd run the finished audio through to see how the average listener would hear it.

I don't think most viewers have elaborate sound systems set up with their video.

Thanks for you input ~
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The lowest cost 5.1 system I've seen is the M-audio LX series
I assume you're talking about the LX4 here?
Have you tried it in 5.1? What did you think?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson
are you saying a Logitech system isn't good for video editing because it boosts certain frequences to make movies and gaming more exciting?

Or are the speakers not clear/responsive enough to hear fine detail ?
yes, to all of the above.

Quote:
My ears aren't what they used to be, so I wonder if I'd even hear the difference? (!)~
Does this mean your client can't hear the difference?

Quote:
I've editing projects just using small computer speakers - and they sound fine. Unless the audio is obviouly mis-mixed (background audio drowning out the dialog), I can't imagine that it would matter that much.~
It matters a lot. However, in the previous paragraph you mention your ears aren't what they used to be. No one past the age of 35 has the same ears "they used to have" but that's no reason to not turn out the best product possible. Some people are really thrilled with the sound of their XYZ microphone from China or Indonesia, but even my old ears can sure hear the difference. Have you ever worked on a calibrated, properly placed set of monitors in a reasonably good room? It makes all the difference in the world.

Quote:
And, it's possible to mix on a hi-end system and have it turn out sounding bad on a basic tv sound system.

we used to have a pair of small speakers that we'd run the finished audio through to see how the average listener would hear it.~
Having only one monitoring system for a master is a bad idea. On the same front, do you have a 50$ television you use for color correction vs having an actual calibrated broadcast monitor? It's exactly the same discussion.

Quote:
I don't think most viewers have elaborate sound systems set up with their video.
~
I'd disagree with you on this last. Even if it were so, it wouldn't matter to me. I owe my clients the best, and that's why I have the reputation that I have in this industry. Dedication to the best I can provide. I use the best video monitor I can afford, calibrate it regularly, and do the same with my speaker monitors. Regardless of whether my client is aiming for an older, hearing-aid audience or a zoomin' hip youth audience.

All that said, are you looking for a justification to buy cheap speakers, or truly interested in great sound?
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #12
Major Player

If I can get a set of inexpensive speakers that give me 80%, as opposed to expensive speakers that give me 100%, I'll take the eighty.

everybody should want to do the best job they can for their clients, but I can't afford a $50k system right now.

So I'm simply asking if these speaker systems are "junk" or reasonable to work with. There might be a price point under which you just can't get speakers that are ANY good - tinny, bassy, distorted.

I've pretty much decided to get the Logitech wireless rear speaker system, because it fits my budget - and I don't think I or my clients will hear any difference.

Anyone think they're junk???
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Capt. Quirk

Robert has some valid points, as do Spot and the rest of the well equipped pros. Just exactly is the bottom of the line? Where do they stop being garbage, and start being affordable? The m-audio setup mentioned above, is about $450-500, depending on where you shop. What is the most affordable setup that doesn't totally suck?
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

probably 5.1 system for computers are ok for you.
Your choice will be driven by the type of input you need. Coax, optical, discreet (one plug per channel) , or PC (usually 3 minijack, front L/R, rear L/R, bass/LFE) and the manual settings you need (usually bass/volume and more).
I got several of them (my preferred is the Z640 from logitech) and all are fine but you need to hear them to choose.
building a system is easy but price will be considerably higher.
the best start would be to get a 5.1 amplifier and then add the speakers of your choice.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Trustee

I've seen a couple 5.1 systems at a
well-known big box retailer for $39.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio