Rode VideoMic + XLR as good as an XLR mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 6th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Rode VideoMic + XLR as good as an XLR mic?

If I was to get a rode videomic and get the xlr adapter for it would this make it as good as an xlr mic for booming?

Basically I don't understand if there are any benefits to having a mike that is xlr vs turning a mini plug into xlr.

The two setups I'm debating over is:
Rode Videomic + XLR adapter plug + XLR cable + boompole
or
Azden SGM-1X + XLR cable + boompole

and with an xlr adapter plug I can't figure out what would make a "true" xlr mic better can anyone help me decide which I should do?
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Using the Rode VM with a passive XLR adapter will not provide the benefits of a balanced XLR mic. However, a few folks have boomed this mic with an unshielded cable with no reported interference. I'd try it with just a 3.5mm extension cable. Your mileage may vary.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

My camera (dvx100a) has xlr inputs that I want to use, but I was wondering if the videomic is better than the sgm-1x, if it is I'd have to use the xlr adapter for it(plus xlr cables can be boomed way better than 3.5mm cables) and I need to know if it's just better to go with the azden sgm-1x.
The videomic seems like a better overall mic but unfortunately isn't xlr so I don't know what to do.
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't know about the Azdens but, if I were substituting another mic for the Videomic, I would pick either the AT897 or the RODE NTG-1 or 2. These mics all sound very similar.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Major Player

If I had the money for an at897 I would do it no questions asked, but I don't. What I wanna do is get the videomic + XLR adapter or the azden sgm-1x(both are the same price which is why I'm comparing them)
And then when necessary rent an MHK 416 for outdoors and scenes that require a much better mic.

What do you guys think of that?
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It's not at all clear why you want to use an XLR connected cable with the Rode mic. The Rode's output is a 3.5mm mini unbalanced. You can make a short adapter cable with an in-line female mini jack wired to an XLR so you can use a boom with an XLR cable going to the camera but doing so doesn't give you any benefits. Using the adapter unbalances the entire assembly and electrically it will act like a regular unbalanced cable with a mini jack at one end and a mini plug at the other. True, the XLR extension cable has two conductors plus shield instead of just one but the adapter means the 2nd conductor, normally used for the signal "cold" in an XLR cable, remains unused for all practical purposes. So you're going to the expense without deriving any benefit. The benefits of XLR and balanced cables requires more than just the wire - it also requires the proper balancing electronics at both ends and that means more than just the type of connector you use.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #7
DVCreators.Net

I just tried a test:

RODE Videomic w/ RODE VXLR 1/8" to XLR adapter $149+$19.99 = $168.99
Audio Technica AT-835B = $249 (street price)

Both fed into a mixer with 20' XLR cables - no distortion, hum or buzz on either - very clean. The Audio Technica sounded brighter in the highs and clearer initially, but totally lacked mid bass. The RODE VideoMic sounded warmer and fuller and contained detail in the mid-bass as well as punchier in the lows. I could EQ the Videomic to sound better than the AT-835b by just turning up the highs a tad. I could not get much mid back with EQ on the AT. It simply wasn't there.
The levels of the Videomic were much hotter, which means less work for a camera's noisy pre-amps if you're in the field and not using a mixer. I had to pump up the gain on the AT side to get it to equal the Videomic for the A/B comparisons.

RODE Videomic advantage:

1) Built in shock mount, camera mountable
2) Inexpensive windsock available for a reasonable $59
3) Inexpensive boom pole available for a reasonable $99
4) Extremely lightweight
5) $100 less expensive than AT-835b

Note : I sell both of these mics and am a big AT fan, but this one is no contest in terms of value.

2nd Note, our AT-835b is 3+ years old and has been used on over 50 projects. But always well cared for. The Videomic is essentially brand new.

3rd Note, did not use phantom power on the AT, it was self powered by its internal AA battery.

4th Note, Although both mics have a bass roll-off feature, it was not enabled on either mic.

http://www.dvcreators.net/products/videomic.html

Cheers,

Guy
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #8
Major Player

That's excellent Guy! That's what the problem was, sorry if I wasn't clear to everyone else.

The problem was I thought the videomic sounded better than the azden sgm-1x but the videomic wasn't xlr which I need for booming work and to go into my dvx. I was unsure if using a miniplug mic that was adapted to xlr was good enough or if I should just go with the azden but Guy Cochran has just proved that it is plenty good enough with no hum or distortion, this is great news to me!

Thanks for that comparison Guy!
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Videomic vs. Pro24

Guy,

Your comparison of the two mics is great. Have you ever compared the Rode Videomic with the Audio Technica Pro24? Any idea on which is better? I will be recording conversation as well as some music.

Thanx,
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #10
DVCreators.Net

Hi Ramdas,

I haven't tried the Pro24, but from the specs I don't think it's even in the same league as the Rode Videomic. If you have a minute and a hi speed connection, listen to the interview with RODE's CEO on this page http://rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=VideoMic
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdas Lamb
Guy,

Your comparison of the two mics is great. Have you ever compared the Rode Videomic with the Audio Technica Pro24? Any idea on which is better? I will be recording conversation as well as some music.

Thanx,
I have. The Rode wins.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio