Can the Sony FX1 do Time Lapse recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can the Sony FX1 do Time Lapse recording?

Hello

Please can someone advise me if the Sony FX1 can do Time Lapse recording? If not is there any device out there that I can buy to give it this ability?

Thanks for any help
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #2

With a LANC control, you can do timelapse with the FX1, yes. The cam itself cannot.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply

Where can I find out more info about LANC control? is this software or hardware? And with this can I have full control time lapse with the fx1?

Thanks
Old September 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

First you need to define what "time lapse" means to you. I have a VX-2000 and PDX-10 and they do something called "interval recording." This is somewhat crude in that the minium setting shoots something like 1/2 second of video every 30 seconds. That would give good results when you want to speed things up by a factor of 1000x (like watching a full day in less than a minute) but it doesn't look good for shorter events like a sunset or the movement of clouds in the sky.

For those kinds of things lasting an hour or less, any camera will give you good time lapse results. Just tape normally and speed up in post. It has the disadvantage of requiring you to capture the full tape, but you'll get smooth motion.

I don't know about high definition software, but if you want to shoot in SD mode then there's software which will capture time lapse over firewire as well - see BTV Pro for the Mac. I think the FX1 may shut down automatically if a tape isn't running however, so that might be a problem.

Where can you find out about LANC control? I just typed "LANC time lapse" into Google and got many pages of results...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi

I want to record 24/48 hours maybe even up to one week over time lapse recording. Yes I did a search on LANC time lapse, but the same as you I got many pages up so that’s what im trying to find out what is LANC? Is this software hardware or another term for time lapse recording?

Thanks
Old September 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Wrangler

LANC is simply a serial protocol whereby devices can commnunicate with camcorders. It is most frequently used for things like zoom and focus controllers that mount on a tripod handle, such as these:

http://www.varizoom.com/lenscontrols.php

Here's some info on the protocol itself:

http://www.boehmel.de/lanc.htm
Old September 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links.

So as far as you know there is no device out there that can somehow connect the FX1 and give it the ability to do time lapse recording apart from software? But if you do it over fire wire then you are stuck with how far the lead can go as it needs to be connected to the computer? or your going to be running into the $$$$ for some fire wire portable device correct?

Thanks
Old September 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
So as far as you know there is no device out there that can somehow connect the FX1 and give it the ability to do time lapse
No... that was my point about the Google search. It turned up a bunch of things, but of course you need to read their specs and see if they meet your needs; I have never used any of these personally.
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #9
New Boot

have a look here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/i...p/t-33925.html

you should be able to try such a controller in a store ...
Armin Obersteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #10
Major Player

you will need to have something 'gaffered'

heres a link to help you get started

http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1