Decent Teleconverter for Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 24th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Decent Teleconverter for Z1

I know that several people have asked this question before - and yes I have seen the previous threads about the Canon 1.4 - but I have to ask again. Has anyone found a half decent teleconverter for the Z1?

I don't think that 1.4X is anywhere near enough (I am looking for wildlife shots) as the Z1 has a very wide native lens. I know that Century make a 1.6X, but even that is a bit short of what is needed. I really feel that at least 2X is required or slightly more if possible. I have heard of the Raynox 2.2X from other threads, but as it is a native 37mm lens it vignettes terribly, even at full telephoto.

What I was thinking of was a Canon, Sony or even better Century lens that was 2X with a screw thread designed to fit another camera - I would guess with at least a minimum of 52mm lens fitting to prevent vignetting. I don't have one to try, but I am guessing that people who had VX2000's/PD150's might have purchased a 2.0X for these cameras (which had a 58mm thread) and this might just be about right. Sure it would vignette when pulled back to a wider angle - but I wouldn't be using it for wide angle! A 72 - 58mm step down ring is easily purchased.

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated.
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Ok so you know about the Canon C-8 1.4x.

do you know about the Canon C-8 1.6x?

...do you know it has 5 elements in four groups with spectra hard coating?
...do you know it has a filter thread of 72mm?
...do you know what a 72-67mm step ring can do?

Ok quiz is over ...

a Canon C-8 1.4x screwed into a Canon C-8 1.6x gives a very nice Canon super 6 element 2.24x which puts you into 120mm+ country

now ain't that a bitch...

have fun :)

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know that the Canon 1.6X had a 72mm thread - I thought that it was much smaller. It certainly might be worth considering - if I could get my hands on one.

I don't know about the idea of 2 teleconverters strapped together - I have to carry all of this gear many kilometers - so a one lens solution is a must. I am travelling to Antarctica in a coupe of months and will have to do a lot of difficult walking with all my camera gear and tripod on my back - so the less weight the better.

All the best, and once again thanks for the help.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
Ok so you know about the Canon C-8 1.4x.

do you know about the Canon C-8 1.6x?

...do you know it has 5 elements in four groups with spectra hard coating?
...do you know it has a filter thread of 72mm?
...do you know what a 72-67mm step ring can do?

Ok quiz is over ...

a Canon C-8 1.4x screwed into a Canon C-8 1.6x gives a very nice Canon super 6 element 2.24x which puts you into 120mm+ country

now ain't that a bitch...

have fun :)
john,

can you explain to me how you are getting the 1.4x and the 1.6x to work together?

i thought the 1.6x had a 48mm thread or something...

what do i need to get this done...

i already have the 1.4x lens with the proper ring adapter... so how do i get the 1.6x to work?

thanks

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Here you go

Camera > 72-58 > 58-48 > Canon 1.6x > 72-67 > Canon 1.4x

Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

just found a canon c8 1.6 second hand for 25 euros....just waiting for the 48mm ring to be able to try it out. Anyway...thnx for the tip. at such costs I feel much better then spending 1400 on a century.
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

after searching for a long time i found some metal step down rings to attach my C8 1.6. Very happy with it. If anyone knows a c8 1.4 for sale...let me know I am lookin for one.
John Jay ..you made my Day! THNX
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane snijders
after searching for a long time i found some metal step down rings to attach my C8 1.6. Very happy with it. If anyone knows a c8 1.4 for sale...let me know I am lookin for one.
John Jay ..you made my Day! THNX

Thanks Jane; glad I could help, good luck

Old October 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Jane,

Obviously you are getting no vignetting with the C8 1.6. That was my biggest worry with the 48mm rear lens - but it sounds like it is no problem at all from your reply. The 1.4x that John is using has a larger rear lens - so definitely does not vignette. This also gives me hope that both the Sony HG 58mm and the screw on Century 2X adaptors for the old PD170 will work as well as the Canons. The Canons of course are the right price!!!

I tried a 2x that I bought on the net. It was a piece of junk. Had a 72mm rear thread so I thought that I was on to something - but it turned out that it is not a 2x, but more like a 1.2x - and a very soft one at that. I think that I have learnt the hard way (but at least it didn't hurt the wallet too much) - trust only known lens manufacturers!
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

graeme,
I can use the c8 1.6 when zoomed in very satisfactory.
Ther is vignetting of course when you zoom out..............something that you also have when you spend 1400 euros on thye century teleconverter......
I love the depth of field with the c8 on my z1......
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #11
Wrangler

can someone who uses john jay's recipe for a teleconverter post some footage soon? i was just out today doing a wildlife comparison of the fx-1 (using only 12x zoom) with an XL2 with a 35mm telephoto lens, and the XL2 is still superior (in my opinion) for this task. i'd be really curious to know how this 1.4x/1.6x combo works. it would be so great if it can measure up to the XL2 in this regard because it is so much less equipment to carry.

thanks!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried the Century DS-20TC-58 2.0x Tele-Converter Lens-58mm (B&H # CEDS20TC58) (link here). Though this costs $400, it seems like a solution that would provide somthing close to John Jay's 1.4x + 1.6x with a single lens and a 58mm thread diameter.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Shawn,

I am with you on this one - thats also the question I would like answered. I believe that this is definitely the answer to the Z1 teleconverter question - but I am not willing to part with the money unless I know that it works. I can't get access to one to try it, as they are not easy to find in Australia - anyone in New York walking past B&H with their Z1?
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #14
Wrangler

shawn, you're reading my mind. i have the century 2x for my GL2 and want to try it with the fx-1, but i have to get the step ring first. i'll let you know how it goes. unless someone else beats me to it.....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
shawn, you're reading my mind. i have the century 2x for my GL2 and want to try it with the fx-1, but i have to get the step ring first. i'll let you know how it goes. unless someone else beats me to it.....
Meryem, It's wonderful that you're trying this and already have the Century 2x. If you can't find the step down ring, I think this one at B&H will do: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=98930&is=REG Can't way to hear your review!

It would be really great if there was a step ring that had a bayonet-twist mount attachment to the front of the FX1 (like most of the Century FX1 lenses) and then stepped down to 58mm - it sure would be a lot easier to work with it in the field.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1