Whats a used PAL pdx-10 worth, at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Whats a used PAL pdx-10 worth,

I have a friend who is interested in getting a 2nd hand pdx10 as he used one at university.

Whats the rough cost? i told him about 2k.

B.Sundry
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Where are you Brendan - there is a lot of difference between NZ$ and UKP.
The starting point for second hand gear is always half the price you could get it for new. Remember a big chunk of the new price was tax and guarantee cover, so that will be wiped for starters. Then if you know the PDX10's history (and you can read it has low hours on the head) then you can bump up. If you're buying blind you may well have to bump down.

But take half price as the starting point and remember that the new A1 is a lot less than 2k (UKP).

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Im in australia, so is my friend, A pdx seems more expenisive than an hc1 at the moment here.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Brendan, have you checked out www.globalmediapro.com in NZ?
Cheers, Ian
Ian Landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ian, those cameras seem many thousands cheaper, ie the fx1 is $3800 Aud and here it would be about 6k i think.
WHats the catch?

B. Sundry
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Sundry
Ian, those cameras seem many thousands cheaper, ie the fx1 is $3800 Aud and here it would be about 6k i think.
WHats the catch?

B. Sundry
I bought my PDX10p from them. They are incredibly reliable and trustworthy. From NZ to little Tassie in under 3 days. You do need to remeber that you will pay GST on that price with postage into Australia but it still works out mountains cheaper. Before I bought from them I did my research and found they had a good reputation. I'm a happy customer :)
Chris Thiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I haven't bought from them yet Brendan but I probably will in the near future. A friend of mine who has a pd10 recommended them to me. I have researched far and wide and they seem to be the best priced for Aussie buyers - even a fair bit cheaper than the ebay sellers.

Good luck, Ian
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thats great news guys, That dvx100 looks kinda tempting at 3800 plus gst and shipping.

Thanks again.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

There are a lot of tempting cam's there eh! It seems to read like the delivery is included in the price Brendan. An extra bonus! Something I haven,t verified with them as yet.

Ian
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

If you’re buying a new camcorder it makes sense to get one designed to shoot native widescreen. You can quickly tell if this is so by looking at the shape of its sidescreen. With these cameras less of the chip is used if you decide to shoot in the 4:3 mode, and I feel that degrading the 4:3 rather than the 16:9 is the best compromise.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
If you’re buying a new camcorder it makes sense to get one designed to shoot native widescreen. You can quickly tell if this is so by looking at the shape of its sidescreen. With these cameras less of the chip is used if you decide to shoot in the 4:3 mode, and I feel that degrading the 4:3 rather than the 16:9 is the best compromise.

tom.

Tom, but shooting in 4:3 with the PDX10 still gives more image resolution than, say, a PD150/170, correct? Or no?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Shooting with the PDX10 in the 4:3 mode gives better resolution than shooting in its 16:9 mode. But comparing the PDX10 to the PD170? Yes, I'd say that in 'ideal' conditions, in a well lit laboratory, on axis with a test chart, the PDX10 would win the resolution test.

But it has tiny 1/5" chips such that differential focus is near impossible. The chips exhibit horrible CCD smear in any high contrast situation and the camera is near useless in the gloom alongside a PD170. To me these are real-life shooting conditions and carry greater importance that all-out resolution.

In the days of open reel tape recorders advertisers laboured on the amazing frequency responses that their machines could faithfully capture, and the public began to think frequency response was the measurement of high fidelity. It was when they heard the wow and flutter and the hiss levels that they begun to suspect that hi-fi is a combination of a whole host of parameters.

So it is with camcorders Ronald.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion