New JVC Hard Disk HD Camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old October 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

New JVC Hard Disk HD Camcorder

At the Tokyo CEATEC show, JVC presented a new Everio model. It looks very much like an HD1. Pix is at: http://www.avmagazine.it/news/videocamere/430.html

The 80GB disk stores 1280x720 MPEG-2 HD -- not HDV -- although I'm sure it is 19Mbps camcorder. That would be about 8 hours of HD video.

It offers a 10X zoom, f1.8 lens.

Hopefully, it will offer the HD1's single CCD because of its proven ability to deliver great (i.e., non DV look) color. Of course, one also hopes sensitivity is increased and chroma noise is lower!

And, it better have a way to lock the shutter-speed at both 1/30th and 1/60th even though I'm sure -- like the Sony HC1 -- it will likely remain a shutter-priority camcorder. (Perhaps, some kind of motion smoothing filter function will be incorporated?)

Given our experience with the HD1 -- which was introduced at CEATEC -- it began shipping in March/April.
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Sweet little camera, but the HD100 has tought us to wait until we see the image before we accept a budget HD product from JVC. Surely it will also exihit SSE, aparrently JVC have claimed 'this is the cost of HD"...
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Is their any confirmation that its not HDV? I think I read somewhere that equipment’s can only display the HDV logo IF it can record and playback HDV using a tape system, thus HDV recording directly to hard drive may mean that it can not be classified as HDV. Isn’t HD-MPEG2 the same then as HDV (in essence)

Anhar
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Any more on this little item Steve? I sure hope it offers a primary colour filter sensor that can compete with the HC1, lack of progressive is one of the few things holding me back from buying the HC1?

I wonder, how is the HD100 doing compared to the A1 for latitude and noise?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Not sure any more that this report in French was translated right. If it has a DV tape drive it can be HDV. If not it can't.

But, that's about the logo. Clearly it can be "HDV compatible" and go on a disk.

The term "proHDV" lets JVC do want it wants. The Consumer group could use "proHDV" "hddHDV" and do what it wants.

By the way, when I sold a product called "4HDV" I got a very nice letter from JVC saying "please change the name" because "HDV" could not be attached to any other name because it was copyright. I changed the name, but the fact was their USA copyright was several months after I copyrighted "4HDV."

But, way back then I did get a note from a JVC friend that said it looked like 24p was possible. So expect this and the Motion filter. But I expect no change in the CCD -- which is fine because I like it's color.
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Not sure any more that this report in French was translated right.
Thanks Steve

I know what you mean, but that camera pictured still hasn't come out. If they are recording to disk I wish they would upgrade to at least 35Mb/s.

Quote:
But, way back then I did get a note from a JVC friend that said it looked like 24p was possible. So expect this and the Motion filter. But I expect no change in the CCD -- which is fine because I like it's color.
Reports of green match flames in the dark, and other things, is what I was thinking of. In alternative imaging we found that bayer filtered raw cameras offers significant improvements. Complementary colour filters seem to produce less colour and detail accuracy. Also, mixing primary and colour filters might not be such a good idea for increasing gain, as complementary and primary (and the white tiles) have different percentages of transparency, producing different saturation and noise to gain ratios. I think this may also explain the limitations of the HD10. You could get similar results and even better performance from bayer technology, so I hope they do one.
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Steve, have you heard of anything further, in the background, about this camera?
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
Steve, have you heard of anything further, in the background, about this camera?
Nothing!

Some feel this wasn't really an HD camcorder. If you look closely, at the image: http://www.avmagazine.it/news/videocamere/430.html

you'll see it says "Hard Disk Camcorder."

Yet, it sure looks like the front-end of an HD1. And, nothing like it has yet been released by JVC. Moreover, it doesn't say "DV" either.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Not sure any more that this report in French was translated right.
French? Italian you mean... (sorry for going off-topic.. ;-) )
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

For some reason this thread was in the HD100 forum. I've moved it to General HD Acquisition for now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Nothing!
Yet, it sure looks like the front-end of an HD1. And, nothing like it has yet been released by JVC. Moreover, it doesn't say "DV" either.
Also the handle on the side looks similar to a rotatable one on the HD1. I think I know what game JVC is playing now, to present HD models with Pro like styling.

There is additional information that they intend a HD Everio:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=21
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series