Z1U gets better images than FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 8th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Z1U gets better images than FX1?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed many times already, but I couldn't find it in a quick scan of this board (I probably didn't look hard enough).

I was told in another thread that the Z1U has better image quality than the Z1U. (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52359) I have the FX1 and plan on getting the Z1U in the future, but in my experience, they perform very similarly in HDV mode (DV vs. DVCAM may be a different story).

I know the Z1 has black stretch, the extra cinematone (both of which I envy), and additional color tweaking features. Aside from these, what is the main difference in terms of image quality?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Chad, look here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49002

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Major Player

All things being equal, the Z1 and the FX1 should produce the same quality footage (visually anyway).

The differences (black stretch, cinegamma etc) will allow you more control which may mean you can improve the images by tailoring them to your tastes/needs, and means, in expert hands the Z1 can perform better, but out of the box, the lens, CCD and codec are the same.

Also, I get the impression that the thread you link to refers to audio via the Z1U would be better than audio in the FX1 via an XLR adaptor, which would make sense, though it is an assumption I can't test.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Dylan.
Having just had edited two tv docs that I shot on both the FX1 and Z1 (BBC and S4C), I can say that there's no difference in the audio quality between the two cameras - and certainly no difference visually since they were both set up the same as regards Picture Preference.
As a tribute to the quality available from these cameras, I was pleased to hear that the editor on one programme - not knowing how the pictures were acquired - made the comment in the facilities house that it was the best DV material he'd ever seen...

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Go Cycle

I own the FX-1. My buddy owns the Z-1. I can assure you there is NO difference in picture quality. However, the Z-1 can be tweaked via the menu settings that do not exist in the FX-1 menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
I'm sorry if this has been discussed many times already, but I couldn't find it in a quick scan of this board (I probably didn't look hard enough).

I was told in another thread that the Z1U has better image quality than the Z1U. (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52359) I have the FX1 and plan on getting the Z1U in the future, but in my experience, they perform very similarly in HDV mode (DV vs. DVCAM may be a different story).

I know the Z1 has black stretch, the extra cinematone (both of which I envy), and additional color tweaking features. Aside from these, what is the main difference in terms of image quality?
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
Dylan.
Having just had edited two tv docs that I shot on both the FX1 and Z1 (BBC and S4C), I can say that there's no difference in the audio quality between the two cameras - and certainly no difference visually since they were both set up the same as regards Picture Preference.
As a tribute to the quality available from these cameras, I was pleased to hear that the editor on one programme - not knowing how the pictures were acquired - made the comment in the facilities house that it was the best DV material he'd ever seen...

Robin.
Robin, very interesting. May I ask how the audio was got into the FX1? Was it a modified unit, along the lines of the BBC's VX2000s?
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Dylan

Robin will confirm this but I believe he uses a similar set up to myself... XLR adapter (Beachtek, or equivilant unit etc) and an Audio Technica 897 microphone.. I use the AT on camera with a Creative video mic mount adapted to my camera, or on a boom, which ever suits my shooting situation.

I also use the Senheisser G2 radio lav mics when needed...

I can't comment on the difference with the Z1 audio, but this works very well for me, giving me good clean audio.

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Trustee

Dylan,
I use the Beachtek box.
The sound recordist just plugs his mixer into it and away to go.
He was using a number of mics, from his Sennheiser 416 to radio mics.
One of the docs is due to be shown next week I think on BBC Wales.
When I get the exact time and date, I'll let you know - you should be able to watch (and listen) on Sky...

Regards,

Robin
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Trustee

Dylan,

The doc I shot with the FX1 as well as the Z1 is called
"Opera Playhouse",in the "On Show" series and is on this Sunday on BBC One Wales, at 2255.
You should easily find it on Sky (if you have Sky that is ;-) )

Robin
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Actually I don't even have a TV licence as I don't watch broadcast TV, but if I can get it recorded for me, I'd like to be able to show my students as an example of a professional production shot with the same or similar model of cameras.

Great, now I can prove to my Boss that noodling around on Internet discussion boards in work hours IS a valid form of research!
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Just thought of a load of extra question,Robin, if you have time...

Did you shoot DV or HD?

If you shot in HDV, did you edit at HD res or downconvert?

If you downcoverted, did you do it in camera, with an HDV bridge or hardware card, or in software?

If you edited in HD, did you edit HDV native or using an HD intermediate (or uncompressed or some such)
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #12
Trustee

Dylan

We shot in SD.

Robin.
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:49 AM   #13
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
Dylan

We shot in SD.

Robin.
Why?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:11 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Why?

Grazie
Because that's what the client wanted as an acquisition format. If it had been my own production I'd most probably shot HDV as archive and edited in SD, but someone else was paying so........

Robin
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:32 AM   #15
Old Boot

Thanks Robin. Guess there must still be a need for SD. Any idea why they wanted it in SD? Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1