lumiere 2.0 with gy-hd100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 10th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #1
Major Player

lumiere 2.0 with gy-hd100

I was just wondering how lumiere hd actually converts the hd100 signal, does it have its own codec for 720/24p? im talking about the lumiere 2.0hd version and does anybody have this set up? a gy-hd100 and lumiere 2.0 with fcp 4.5 or 5. please get back to me, because i am about invest in both very soon and would like abit of assistance. also with the pulldown? should i have that off?
Jemore Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

v2.0 hasn't been released yet. Go to www.lumiereHD.com and click on support and then go into forums to keep up on its status.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Major Player

"lumière HD 2.0 is priced at $179.00 and will be available in July 2005, or will be a free upgrade for current owners of Lumière HD."

its been released, isnt there a guy from lumiere that regularly visits this site? any feed back from him?
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

That press release is old. It hasn't been released. Frederic told me last week that there is no firm ETA on the final release, but they will be releasing a beta soon. I'm not sure if it will be private of public beta. You'll have to keep an eye on the LumiereHD forums on their website.
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
That press release is old. It hasn't been released. Frederic told me last week that there is no firm ETA on the final release, but they will be releasing a beta soon. I'm not sure if it will be private of public beta. You'll have to keep an eye on the LumiereHD forums on their website.
Anyone know of any updates on FCP5 for HD100U 24p?
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Major Player

its good to know that the whole community is on this site, from the developers to the people who give feedback to r&d to the end user.
thanks for the time, i hope frederick can give us some lo down to when the whole beta thing will come in.
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #7
Wrangler

Days away from a beta release

We are days away from a beta release which will support the 24p and the 25p of the HD100.

It's a tricky format but we're getting there.

Frederic
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Haubrich
We are days away from a beta release which will support the 24p and the 25p of the HD100.

It's a tricky format but we're getting there.

Frederic
That is REALLY great news =)
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Frederic would the beta be for only the people that have bought the previous software or is it an open beta?
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Wrangler

The new beta with HD100 support has been released. v1.6b2

It also supports the BR-HD50 deck.

http://www.lumierehd.com/
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The new beta with HD100 support has been released. v1.6b2

It also supports the BR-HD50 deck.

http://www.lumierehd.com/
YEAAAAAH!!!

I don't know how I did it, but I actually captured my 24p footage and began to edit in FCP5....!!!!! Hurrah! Watch out folks... =)

Last edited by Brian Duke; October 19th, 2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #12
Major Player

Tim,

What I don't get is how you transfer ytour final cut to DVD or HDV tape after you finish and keep the quality HDV. It seems like the footage is being transferred compressed, thus losing the high end quality.

Duke
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Tim,

What I don't get is how you transfer ytour final cut to DVD or HDV tape after you finish and keep the quality HDV. It seems like the footage is being transferred compressed, thus losing the high end quality.

Duke
You would have to make a HD-DVD or blueRay to maintain the quality on a DVD format (or Windows Media 9.) Of course, the burners or players are not on the market yet, but DVD Studio Pro 4 will author an HD format DVD for you!

As for output back to HDV tape, if you didn't do any "processing" to the image (colour correction, effects, etc.,) then in theory you should be able to output back to tape without recompression artifacts. However, that seems impractical and improbable, so there isn't really any good way around it, except to work in a lossless codec, and then downconvert back to HDV.

Personally, I would consider HDV and aquisition format only... immediately convert it to an intermediate codec to work with, and then never go back.
For archiving, just use DVD-ROM and export a "Quicktime Movie," using current settings, and make it self-contained. DO NOT recompress frames.
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #14
Major Player

Any idea when support for re-compression and going back to the camera or HDV deck with the 24p HDV will be supported?

Also, I understand from JVC that 24p is not supported natively by DVHS devices, only 30p, so will we have to convert 24p to 30p to make it possible to back it up, or play it on DVHS machines? It seems weird that JVC would make an HDV camera that is incompatible with it's own devices, after all, wasn't the original idea that HDV is a consumer HD video format that would be used to play your home videos on consumer playback devices?

Thanks,

Paul
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mogg
Any idea when support for re-compression and going back to the camera or HDV deck with the 24p HDV will be supported?

Also, I understand from JVC that 24p is not supported natively by DVHS devices, only 30p, so will we have to convert 24p to 30p to make it possible to back it up, or play it on DVHS machines? It seems weird that JVC would make an HDV camera that is incompatible with it's own devices, after all, wasn't the original idea that HDV is a consumer HD video format that would be used to play your home videos on consumer playback devices?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul,

We should be able to offer 'back to HDV' in native 24p in no time.

Frederic
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems