HD Link Vs. Adobe Plug-in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Link Vs. Adobe Plug-in

I'm trying to get sense of what my laptop (Sager 4790, P4 3.2/HT desktop CPU, 1 gig of Ram & ATI 9700 card, 7200 rpm hdd), will perform like using PPro 1.5 and the standard HDV plug-in. Being as the plug-in is not available in the demo version of PPro 1.5, I tried HDLink to import the footage. The playback in the PPro timeline is stuttery, useless. Is the use of HD Link a valid way to check the performance of my computer if I'm looking at getting the standard plug-in? Unfortunately, while I can gleefully test the full Aspect application via demo, it might be some time before I can purchase it so I'm looking at the free plug-in and my performance with only that currently.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Unfortunately that will not be a good indicator of speed. While the files created by HDLink are compatible with Premiere 1.5 (as they with most PC tools) there is no playback accelerator (with 1.5.1 you get about 2X, with Aspect HD you get about 6-7X.)
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. I have appreciated your ongoing personal committment to the video community a lot. I do wish that the current PPro demo would include the plug-in, as it's the only option for some who can't afford the full Aspect package and it's important to see how good performance is. I don't know if it is at your end or Adobe's that there is a restriction from using this with the demo but it gets dicey when you can only buy blind.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is under Adobe's control for their demo version. However, going with the standard Premiere alone my not be a cost saving, as I assume you want to get the most value out of you new HDV camera. As you don't have Premiere already, you have have a software purchase ahead of you. The Adobe Video Collection (standard) is $999. Aspect HD with the full Adobe Video Collection costs the same. That is the least expensive way to get a full suite of tools and performance for HDV. If you purchased Premiere alone you are looking at $699, you don't get the performance, quality or support for features on the newer HDV cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase