Bottom Loading Solution! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 7th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Jeff, quick question. Are there threaded holes on the bottom of your adapter, for mounting a quick release plate (Bogen 3272) for my Bogen tripod?
There are threaded holes, they are the exact same thread as what is already on the HC1 / A1. Any tripod or component that fits the camera should also fit this adapter. Is that the kind of thread that you need?
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
There are threaded holes, they are the exact same thread as what is already on the HC1 / A1. Any tripod or component that fits the camera should also fit this adapter. Is that the kind of thread that you need?
That is perfect. I was just wondering siince using a quick release assembly is imperative. Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. I will probably order one off of ebay from you. I don't have an A1 yet, but that will be my next major purchase. A1 first, then FX1 or Z1.
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I had Jeff's tripod adapter shipped to my parent's house and I picked it up from there yesterday. I pulled it out of the packing material and my first words were WOW. From looking at the pictures on here I wasn't sure what I was going to get but I figured $20 was worth the risk. I thought it might be an aluminum plate with the sides bent down, or maybe some piece of metal originally used for some other application and then rigged to fit the camcorder.

In reality this thing is a solid piece of aluminum machined to the exact contours of the underside of the HC1. This is very high quality work. It doesn't look home made at all. It fits pretty solidly to the underside of the camcorder. I'd like a snugger fit, but I don't see how would be possible. I blame that on the camcorder design and not the adapter. The provided screw was too long to use. It bottomed out in the hole and the adapter was still loose. I had a shorter screw on hand so that wasn't a big problem. I'm sure that will be corrected in future shipments.

People with fat fingers might have a hard time using this. I can no longer release the battery by sliding my finger along the release. I now have to use my fingernail to push the tab in and then slide the battery out. The little doors for the IO connections fall flat and flush to the plate and require a fingernail as well to close. Those are just minor annoyances that I'm sure I'll forget about in a month's time.

I'm very impressed with this thing and I really think it'll make my life a lot easier. Rebalancing my glidecam will be a challenge now that my quick release adapter is off to the side, but when isn't balancing a glidecam a challenge? At least now I won't have to rebalance it between tapes.

I highly recommend picking one of these up.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #49
Major Player

Rick, thank you for your impressions, I like knowing that I'm on the right track, and what I might improve.

Yeah, it's a custom design just for the HC1/A1 series camcorders.

For what it's worth, due to other feedback, my second run of parts have a nice notch that improves access to the battery release. If you think it is bothersome, I am willing to exchange it for the cost of shipping. That second run is currently what is selling on eBay.

Though there is some improvement, I did not change much about the little side doors though, I just used my fingernails. It didn't occur to me to space that out or put an access pocket below them, I also wanted to protect the doors from breaking as well from being exposed.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; December 11th, 2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old December 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I appreciate the return offer but I don't think the battery release will be much of an issue for me. I just looked at the I/O doors and you're right: the adapter now eliminates the possibility of them being accidentally forced open too far. Closing won't be much of an issue either. I have a video job at the end of the week and I'll probably have some field impressions to write about then.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #51
Tourist

botton loading

Hi Jeff,
where can I get the tripod adapter?
Rene Caminada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Caminada
Hi Jeff,
where can I get the tripod adapter?
Look on ebay:

look here. If the aution is over then click on the link for "View seller other items".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-f...QQcmdZViewItem
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #53
Tourist

tripod adapter

Thank you Michael
I bought it
Ren้
Rene Caminada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #54
Major Player

Jeff, I'm wondering if you've managed to test the panning yet or come up with a way around that instead of offsetting the camera? I'd be interested in buying one from you, but for now that's my only concern. And also whether it would work on my Velbon tripod. The plate is 2" wide, or 2.4" with the slotting part underneath.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #55
Major Player

Well I ordered one yesterday off eBay.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas
Jeff, I'm wondering if you've managed to test the panning yet or come up with a way around that instead of offsetting the camera? I'd be interested in buying one from you, but for now that's my only concern. And also whether it would work on my Velbon tripod. The plate is 2" wide, or 2.4" with the slotting part underneath.
There will be no noticeable difference in panning due to the offset.
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #57
Major Player

Actually, yeah, thinking about it there probably wouldn't be any real difference. So I guess my only concern now would be whether my tripod plate is too wide or not.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas
Jeff, I'm wondering if you've managed to test the panning yet or come up with a way around that instead of offsetting the camera? I'd be interested in buying one from you, but for now that's my only concern.
While my gut impression is that it's not significant, I still want to try this out and post footage. My HC1 is still in for repairs due to accidental damage so I probably won't see it until early January. On a 45 degree sweep from the side to the front, the focal length would only change about 3/8". It might make a noticible difference if you have an object in view less than a foot away.

I could make an adapter that simply jacks the camera up about 2", but that would make a pretty significant tilt error instead.

Quote:
And also whether it would work on my Velbon tripod. The plate is 2" wide, or 2.4" with the slotting part underneath.
The distance from the mounting screw to the right edge of the head needs to be less than 2.2" / 5.5cm, this includes the handle, bubble level, etc. if it is less than 2" from the top of the head.
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
Well I ordered one yesterday off eBay.
I should note that I appreciate everyone's support, thank you.
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
The distance from the mounting screw to the right edge of the head needs to be less than 2.2" / 5.5cm, this includes the handle, bubble level, etc. if it is less than 2" from the top of the head.
Actually, I measured it and that distance is pretty much spot on 2.2" / 5.5cm. Although there is another issue I've learnt of. I'm looking at eventually buying a 35mm lens adapter for the HC1 to allow me to shoot with more of a shallow depth of field. The one I'll most probably go for requires the screw holes to be centred in order line up the camera with the lens support base. Here's the website for that: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.kinney/sg35.htm The guy can create one with a 37mm thread for HC1's.

Other than that, I think your unit appears to be a great solution and looks good too.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series