Filmmaking DVDs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old October 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Wrangler

Filmmaking DVDs?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any practical filmmaking DVDs?

I finally got through Hollywood Camera Work, and I'm looking for more filmmaking stuff to get into my brain. Fight Scenes for Motion Pictures looks very interesting, and I'm waiting for it in the mail.

P.S. Visions of Light is interesting, but I'm looking for something more practical.
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hello Michael,

Would you recommend either of these DVDs ? I'm particularly interested in your mention of the Fight Scenes for motion pictures. I do weekly work of martial arts sparring, but very little of that, other than injuries, is convincing in a theatrical sense.
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
Would you recommend either of these DVDs?
I highly recommend the Hollywood Camera Work DVDs. I think it's the must have DVD set for filmmakers. After this, you can throw out your Filmmaking: Shot by Shot book. It's time & money well spent.

* I haven't gotten to the Fight Scenes DVD yet, but I'll post a small review when I'm done.
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Major Player

If you type in that you are from DVXuser you get a 150.00 discount. Or at least that was available a few weeks back. If it's gone, maybe we can persuade Chris to talk nice and sweet to them to get us DVinfo discount?
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #5
Wrangler

A similar post for DVDs on Camera Technique
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I can also recommend Hollywood Camera Work DVDs... they are quite ugly (poser characters, etc), but there is soo many (very, very useful) information there. Excellent. A must...
I don't know about "fight scenes"...
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Major Player

you may have already seen this somewhere but it looks pretty good.
http://www.dvcreators.net/products/
This is another neat link to a cyber college (totally free) and you don't even have to register. You just read the material on the webpages for each subject module and then take a multiple choice test on the material. Then move on to the next subject. Kinda neat really!!! Select where it says "TV production in English" and scroll to a subject you want to read and test on .
http://www.cybercollege.com/indexall.htm
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
If you type in that you are from DVXuser you get a 150.00 discount. Or at least that was available a few weeks back. If it's gone, maybe we can persuade Chris to talk nice and sweet to them to get us DVinfo discount?
dvxuser.com said their discount ended october 23rd, and they said to use coupon code "Highend3D". ordered last night and got the set for $299 + shipping ($191 off!). just after watching the first sample clip i was completely sold. i haven't heard nothing but good things about this set, plus you can't pass up on this deal. can't wait to absorb the knowledge. cheers.

Last edited by Neil Camero; November 12th, 2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Wrangler

The Fight Scenes for Motion Pictures DVD is also good. It's mainly an introduction to doing martial art stunts on camera, with a focus on keeping everyone safe while making the fight scenes believable.

When you're done, you will have some good basic knowledge on how to make your own Jackie Chan / Kung Fu movies safely and effectively. And while you're not going to make the next "Crouching Tiger" with this DVD, it is a good way to start. If you already know a martial art, this DVD will be very valuable for applying your skills to the camera.

One nice thing is that you can adapt the techniques to all kinds of special effects where people get hit, slapped, thrown, fall etc. and not necessarily in a fight scene. The first thing I did was get some skateboarders and we did a skateboard brawl/slapstick short with the info from the DVD. And though it was an amateur production, the stunts came out looking very good - and painful.

It's a short video and very specific, but I think it's worth the $20 to learn how to do effective on camera stunts. Martial artists will find that the info on the DVD will give them a good framework for taking their skills on camera.

For those of you who also got or are getting the Hollywood Camera Work DVDs, you can consider the Fight Scenes DVD a small but very useful addendum to the massive encyclopedia of the Hollywood Camera Work DVDs.
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Kodak Cinematography Masterclass X8 VHS

just picked this up off ebay - anyone seen/tried?

Will post an update once i've watched..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quinn,

" Kodak Cinematography, Filmmaking, Lighting 8 Videos "

How was this series ?

Thanks,

Gints
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:30 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any practical filmmaking DVDs?

I finally got through Hollywood Camera Work, and I'm looking for more filmmaking stuff to get into my brain. Fight Scenes for Motion Pictures looks very interesting, and I'm waiting for it in the mail.

P.S. Visions of Light is interesting, but I'm looking for something more practical.
How did "Fight Scenes for Motion Pictures" turn out ?

I've rented "Visions of Light" from blockbuster on-line.
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM   #13
Wrangler

Gints, see post #9 in this thread.
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks for the review, Mike. I forgot that I asked you about this a while ago. Though, I ordered the DVD yesterday.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Mike,

I ordered "Fight Scenes" , but the order was cancelled due to lack of supply. Would you be up for selling me your DVD ?

Gints

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It