30 fps to 25 fps problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Tourist

30 fps to 25 fps problems

I am sure that this has been dealt with before. I use a Z1 for underwater video and would prefer to film at 60i, but I have a lot of customers who need PAL DVD's at 25fps. The change from 30 fps to 25 fps causes jerky movement unless I use frame blending in Premiere Pro which reduces the sharpness. Are there any better suggestions?
Russell Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't use Premiere, but I think you need some other software to convert NTSC to PAL. Also realize that the PAL frame size is larger (720x576 vs NTSC 720x480) so you are bound to get some softness.

DVfilm Atlantis is one way to do the conversion:

http://dvfilm.com/atlantis/index.htm

And I think DVfilm Maker will also convert in the NTSC > PAL direction:

http://dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm

There are free trial versions that you can check out. I don't use PC's, but seems to me I've read that Vegas can do these conversions as well. But since you have a Z1 it seems like you might just want to shoot 50i and then you could convert to 24P for the NTSC version using something Like DVFilm Maker. Or for that matter, my understanding is that just about all DVD Players that are sold in PAL countries can also convert NTSC on the fly.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I don't use Premiere, but I think you need some other software to convert NTSC to PAL. Also realize that the PAL frame size is larger (720x576 vs NTSC 720x480) so you are bound to get some softness.

DVfilm Atlantis is one way to do the conversion:

http://dvfilm.com/atlantis/index.htm

And I think DVfilm Maker will also convert in the NTSC > PAL direction:

http://dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm

There are free trial versions that you can check out. I don't use PC's, but seems to me I've read that Vegas can do these conversions as well. But since you have a Z1 it seems like you might just want to shoot 50i and then you could convert to 24P for the NTSC version using something Like DVFilm Maker. Or for that matter, my understanding is that just about all DVD Players that are sold in PAL countries can also convert NTSC on the fly.
There's also Twixtor for Premiere Pro. It's supposed to be the "bee's knees" for frame rate conversion. If you don't have ConnectHD, it'd be more than worth while getting... any frame conversion would be best done as uncompressed CFHD 1440x1080 1.333 PAR avi, before rendering to 720x576 PAL to keep the quality as high as possible.

For those with Vegas, the abilities to transcode HDV of various frame rates has apparently been improved in version 6, and tools such as Gearshift are available to 'automate' frame rate conversions using proxies to maintain quality and speed the editing process.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions