Bought a RODE videomic! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Bought a RODE videomic!

Will prolly be getting another for my other camera. It's very nice.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Glad you like it. The first thing I did when I got one was to point it at the ground and rub my foot on the hardwood floor. Holy sensitivity. I could hear the fine rocks crunching (need to sweep in here). I then went around the office and pointed it at different sounds such as a loud video RAID array then pointed it off axis to see how much it rejects at 45 and 90 degrees. Pretty impressive even indoors. I think it's a sweet spot at $149 and is a much better buy than the $199 Sennheiser MKE300 hotshoe camcorder mic or any of the less expensive Sony accessory mics, plus it has the shockmount which the others do not - very cool. Oh, and the accessories...the front page of RODE's site says Dec for the boom poles...can't wait for a $99 boom pole.
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just got a Rode videomic too... two days ago. I had it overnight expressed since the Sennheiser MKE 300 I bought six weeks ago left me in a bind by starting to cut out the second time I used it and is back on its way to Sennheiser for warranty repair/replacement. I must say, I am VERY disappointed in the MKE 300, AND very disappointed that when I was ordering a camera and related gear from a prominent supplier two months ago, the salesperson suggested the Sennheiser after I said I was trying to make up my mind between the MKE 300 and the Rode. I've spent the last two days using the Rode, and I'm thrilled with it. One drawback is that it does interfere with access to handle controls. One obvious (and supremely simple) design improvement the Rode demonstrates over the MKE 300 is in the reinforced L-shaped mini plug. Seems like a no brainer. I've never heard of Australian design exceeding German design, but it certainly appears so in this case.
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I told you! :)

For any remaining disbelievers, go to the video folder in the On Line Archive on my website and watch the mp4 video about the VideoMic.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm curious. I primarily do narrative short films, and sometimes I require a boompole and extension. How far can you get the Rode Videomic away from the camera before the hiss becomes too bad? I'm assuming that since it's unbalanced that it'll be tricky, but sometimes my shots are too far for a mike stationed on the camera to pick up. I've heard mp3s of the Rode videomic (and is it indeed nice), but I haven't heard any where it's on a boompole.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6
DVCreators.Net

10' Max on the 1/8" miniplug extension cable made by RODE - don't try to use a Radio Shack 1/8" miniplug extension cable, that's what I tried initially and it doesn't work anywhere near as good as the RODE VC1.

With the RODE VXLR adapter you can go a great distance. But then you'll need a BeachTek if your camera doesn't have XLR. I tried a 20' XLR extension cable along with the RODE VXLR into a mixer and it came out perfectly clean.
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kirkpatrick
I'm curious. I primarily do narrative short films, and sometimes I require a boompole and extension. How far can you get the Rode Videomic away from the camera before the hiss becomes too bad? I'm assuming that since it's unbalanced that it'll be tricky, but sometimes my shots are too far for a mike stationed on the camera to pick up. I've heard mp3s of the Rode videomic (and is it indeed nice), but I haven't heard any where it's on a boompole.
Stick with the 2 meter cord Rode sells. You'll be fine.

As to placement, as with any shotgun, you want to be as close as possible, just out of the frame and ideally not more than 2-3 feet from the source. That's for soundstage or outside work. No shotgun deos particularly well indoors.

PS my mp4 of the VideoMic is on my site in the online archives in the video folder.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Ty, I looked for the review of the 2020 (that someone
said was on your site) but I couldn't find it.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
Ty, I looked for the review of the 2020 (that someone
said was on your site) but I couldn't find it.

Main Page>On Line Archives>Video Folder....oh, I forgot! I also have a brief clip of the Schoeps CMIT.

You need a player that can play an MP4 video.

Ty Ford
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #10
Trustee

I was looking under Mic Reviews for the 2020.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
I was looking under Mic Reviews for the 2020.

When I got the XL2 camera, I thought, Hmmmm, see the mic, hear the mic, cool!

Ty
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #12
New Boot

Before I bought my Videomic from B&H I e-mailed RODE folks and asked if a 25 foot extension was reasonable to use because this was needed for my current project as I will not get a Beachtek yet. They said it should work fine. Well, I can report that the 25 foot cord for the Videomic works perfectly and the sound is perfect and in my situation there has been no interference of any kind. I detect no difference in quality whether the mic is on my GS400 or at the end of a 25 foot miniplug cord. Therefor, why limit yourself to a 10 foot cord?
Raimo Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Dude,

Get one as long as you want.

Ty Ford
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Repo
Before I bought my Videomic from B&H I e-mailed RODE folks and asked if a 25 foot extension was reasonable to use because this was needed for my current project as I will not get a Beachtek yet. They said it should work fine. Well, I can report that the 25 foot cord for the Videomic works perfectly and the sound is perfect and in my situation there has been no interference of any kind. I detect no difference in quality whether the mic is on my GS400 or at the end of a 25 foot miniplug cord. Therefor, why limit yourself to a 10 foot cord?

Raimo,
Although you may not be able to hear the difference, and indeed, the cable *may* for some reason be of high enough quality to prevent audible interference, high impedence cables can't go beyond about 3.5-4 meters without experiencing loss due to interference.
This is why Rode' themselves don't sell a cable longer than 3m in length.
Remember always that just because you're not hearing interference or other audio issues doesn't mean others can't. It could well be your monitoring system also isn't permitting you to hear it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #15
Trustee

What causes the "interference"? AC electricity?
Radio waves? Cell phones?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio