American Chopper - Behind the scenes special! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 19th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

American Chopper - Behind the scenes special!

Well, if you ever wanted to know what goes on behind the cameras at OCC, you can find out Monday night (11.21.05) at 10 p.m. on Discovery. I saw the Sony Z1 being used a few times as well as the larger broadcast cameras. Discovery repeats its programming later in the evening if you miss the first run.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, it looks as though this show is shot primarily with the Panasonic Varicam. The Sony Z1 was used extensively for the cast to shoot alot of this special. When the Varicam footage was intercut with the HDV, I couldn't see much if any difference. That's good news for HDV owners!

Last edited by James Emory; November 22nd, 2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM   #3
Major Player

I must admit that to my eye, the footage from the Z1 intercut VERY well. The biggest difference wasn't the 'image quality', it was 'operator skill'...especially in the handheld-ness of the Z1. Heck, they even showed a side-by-side off the Panny footage with the Z1 footage during the Steadycam 'riding' segment to show the difference (smooth vs bumpy).

But of course, we were watching the SD version, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised the footage intercut so well. The show should air in HD tomorrow night (at least, in my area, it replays on wednesdays on Discovery HD Theater) which I'm anxious to watch. It's possible that the HD version will show an 'image quality' difference that wasn't noticable in the SD version.

Oh, and BTW...I loved the episode. The behind-the-scenes stuff really was quite neat to a newbie video-geek like me. :-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Duane please update up tomorrow on what the show looks like in HD. I don't geet HD boradcasts so I am interested to know.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Hello,

I saw the show also, and have to agree, at least when watching the SD version of the show, the Z1 footage was very, very close to the big shoulder held broadcast cameras they were using.. very very impressive.. i cannot wait until they air the HD version of this episode..That should be quite interesting.. Anyone know when it airs ??

Mike m.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

American Chopper Promo Outtakes

What do all of you that have seen the show think of that little episode in the hall at Pilgrim Post with the XP acting like he was mad that he didn't know they would be shooting in their building and then in his office? Here are a few outtakes of the knuckleheads producing some Discovery promos.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/am.../outtakes.html

Last edited by James Emory; November 22nd, 2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Major Player

It was a cool episode. Interesting to see what cameras they use, editing system, etc..
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Castillo
Duane please update up tomorrow on what the show looks like in HD. I don't geet HD boradcasts so I am interested to know.
I definately will...but it doesn't look like it's going to be this week. :-( I just checked the listings and it looks like tomorrow's episode will be "Junior's Dream Bike 2" (the green spider web bike), so it may be another week -- or longer -- before the HD version airs. I don't know because my listing for DiscoveryHD only goes 1 week in advance.

Mike Moncrief - check out www.TitanTV.com for listings in your area and your HD service. There's a niftly little check box to look for HD programming only.

As for the XP...looked like he'd watched a few too many Paul Sr. temper tantrums. ;-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I looked for an SD reair date on Discovery and didn't see one through the entire month of December.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm pulling this thread out of the dumpster becuase I just saw the American Chopper behind the scenes show in HD a few days ago. I just wanted to say the Sony HDV cam seemed to have less noise in spots than the big expensive cameras they use to produce the show. I actually preferred the Sony image to the other cameras.

Anyone else see this recently in HD? I have a Canon A1 but this makes me feel good about my footage.

-Jonathan
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I saw most of the HD version. I recorded it so I should go watch the rest of it. The V1 did look almost the same as the Varicams.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work