Wiring Challenge - Keeping Channels Separate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 19th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wiring Challenge - Keeping Channels Separate

I have two sets of wireless transmitters and receivers (Sony UWP series). One set operates on channel 66 and the other on channel 62. I use them both at the same time with my VX2000. In order to do this I have a short Hosa cable that has two XLR ends This cable terminates in a single stereo mini plug that is plugs into the VX2000. The signal from one receiver goes to the left channel and the signal from the other receiver goes to the right channel. Each transmitter uses a cable with a mini male stereo plug at one end and an XLR on the other end (that XLR connects to the Hosa XLR).

The whole setup works fine but I would like to avoid the weight of the four XLR connectors.

I want to wire a cable that, at one end, has two mini male stereo plugs (one plug for each receiver) and at the other end a male stereo plug to plug into the camcorder. It will need to send the signal from one transmitter to the left channel and the signal from the other transmitter to the right channel.

Can anyone advise me how to wire this?

Thanks

Curt
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Fred Retread

The sections of the stereo mini plugs are called Tip, Ring and Sleeve (TRS).

In the receiver jacks, the signal is applied between tip and ring, and the sleeve is connected to receiver ground. On the cable side, the cable's shield is connected to the sleeve and its two conductor wires are connected to tip and ring.

You'll be converting to having the signal from each receiver applied between tip and sleeve. At the camera end, one receiver's signal will be applied between tip and sleeve and the other between ring and sleeve. That will feed the two channels in the cam.

Let's call the plug that goes into the VX the Cam plug, giving us plug sections called Tc, Rc and Sc. Call the other two plugs 1 and 2, so we have T1, R1, S1 and T2, R2, S2.

Connect:
T1 to Tc, R1 and S1 To Sc
T2 To Rc, R2 and S2 to Sc

This should duplicate what's being done in the Hosa splitter. You could confirm that with a multimeter or continuity tester.
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Fred, thanks for your thoughtful and articulate response.

It works great!

Curt
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:24 AM   #4
Trustee

That's exactly what I need for my vx2000 too. Thanks!
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio