XL2 question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM   #1
New Boot

XL2 question?

Is it common to hear a clicking noise when I switch from off to manual? The noise sounds like it comes from the area where we connect the lens to the body. The reason I am asking is because this is my first xl series camera and was unsure what kind of noise are bad of good. So please if you have any insite on this it would help me stop worring.

--jose
Jose Fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Major Player

it seems that some XL2's click at start up and some don't mine does and has for a good 9 months or so without any negative reprocussions so i wouldn't worry too much, if you look into the lens you can see an element vibrate during the click, strange but like i said nobody has had any ill come from it so i wouldn't worry

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

All XL2 cameras with the 20x auto lens attached will click upon power-up. This is perfectly normal. It's just a self-test, an initialization procedure that the lens goes through. For a real treat, watch the objective end of the lens right at start-up. You'll see the OIS mechanism flutter a little bit during that self-test process.

This has been a frequently asked question, so I guess I should put it on our XL2 pages.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Jose and Jon,

The focus and zoom are controled by a servo motor inside the lens. When power is applied, they need to find "Home" before they know where they are and where to go when you use them. They move to a preset location for each, a "test" point, then go to a pre-determined "Home" or start point, and are then ready to use. Just takes a second or so.

The noise is normal, unless it is really excessive.

Hope that this helps.

Mike
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks; you can tell I just bought it. I am babying it too much. Thanks everyone for your help and insight. Once I take it on a real shoot all these worries will go away.
Jose Fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Fonseca
Thanks; you can tell I just bought it. I am babying it too much. Thanks everyone for your help and insight. Once I take it on a real shoot all these worries will go away.
Jose

I certainly understand that! I got mine about five days ago, and have had company the whole time, so have not even put a tape in it. Just made sure everything was in the box and put the lens on the body and the viewfinder and mic and made sure it fired up. Really like the new viewfinder! My first brand new camera and I will be listening and watching for everything!!!!!!!!! Seems like if it is used I just pop a tape in and go for it, but not this one. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Good luck!

Mike
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Jose

I certainly understand that! I got mine about five days ago, and have had company the whole time, so have not even put a tape in it.
Mike, how could you possibly sit on your new XL2 for five days because of company??? Man, I would've snuck out, gone crazy, or gone outside for a smoke break just to play with it. (I would've had to start smoking, tho...) You must have an incredible amount of patience...
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:50 PM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah, Mike, you're a better man than me. The ol' rule of three days for friends, family, and fish...and you waited 5 days! If my dear sweet mother had been visiting the day my XL2 arrived, she would have had to patiently wait while I fawned over my XL2 (I'm sure my wife would be happy to corroborate that!). Probably be the same when the H1 shows up at my door.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Yeah, Mike, you're a better man than me. The ol' rule of three days for friends, family, and fish...and you waited 5 days! If my dear sweet mother had been visiting the day my XL2 arrived, she would have had to patiently wait while I fawned over my XL2 (I'm sure my wife would be happy to corroborate that!). Probably be the same when the H1 shows up at my door.
Ooooh, H1.

I will say this, the day after my friend arrived, we sat at my house all day until the UPS man arrived. I was not leaving until it arrived and it was unpacked and checked. Off course the day my friend arrived I also got sick, and still am. I think I am just being punished for getting another camera. Pass the Nyquil and send the cameras!!!!!!!!! Oh, and the cleanex.

Mike
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
, we sat at my house all day until the UPS man arrived.
Oh Man! That made me laugh...because I sooooooo remember the day my XL2 arrived. I had spent the previous few days tracking the package online....then, on the big day...well, lets just say that I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. A tight fit for some vehicles, so the larger ones just drive to the end when they have to turn around to exit the neighborhood....most notably would be the roofing contractor, the school bus, and the neighbor with the diesel pickup....all driving slowly by my house to flip a u-turn...ALL OF THEM SOUNDED LIKE A UPS TRUCK THAT DAY!!!.

I didn't realize how badly I was 'in the zone' that day until my 1 1/2 year old imitated me by casually pacing by the front door with her hands behind her back, and periodically stopping, facing the door, and placing her face against it. She didn't realize I was looking through the peephole, and she was too short to see through it herself, so she would put her face against the door for a second or two....then keep pacing...because that's what I had been doing all day long. It cracked me up.
-Jon
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:01 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Jonathan,

Great story!.:) For me it was school buses, and one knock on the door that turned out to be my new phone books.

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:09 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
, and one knock on the door that turned out to be my new phone books.

Mike
You must have jumped through the roof on that one.
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders