Apple developing "instant on" computers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Wrangler

Apple developing "instant on" computers?

Some interesting speculation here:

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mf...gvisit=y&npu=y

Quote:
Let's take a step back and*look again at the big NAND flash deal that Apple signed with Toshiba, Samsung, and a new joint venture between Intel and Micron Technologies.
_________

Robson is the name -- Latin for "really boring name" -- that Intel has given its upcoming technology to integrate NAND flash into computers. It will load important chunks of the operating system into flash memory, where it remains*even when the machine is powered down.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Trustee

This would seem to play well with the near liquidation of the stock of mac mini's. People aren't nearly as upset about getting soon to be outdated technology if they get more then what they paid for. This seems like the mac mini will be the one more thing of mac world in january. The ibooks will recieve the intel processors as many have already reported leaks about, but one more thing we updated the mini, here it is with "instant on" technology, it's the perfect item for your TV set finally you can use your computer and tv at once.

Seems like an integrated TV box would make for a great add on to the video ipod. I think I already harped on this in a previous post but you get the picture. Gotta love that company. (maybe not all aspects of it, but come on it's pretty cool)
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Gotta love that company. (maybe not all aspects of it, but come on it's pretty cool)
Shareholders have a lot to love :-) Take a look at this chart comparing their stock to Dell, Gateway and HP/Compaq (with Microsoft thrown in for fun):

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s...q%2Cgtw%2Cmsft

And their small market share in PC's is exactly what makes them so promising... LOTS of room left to grow.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Shareholders have a lot to love :-) Take a look at this chart comparing their stock to Dell, Gateway and HP/Compaq (with Microsoft thrown in for fun):

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s...q%2Cgtw%2Cmsft

And their small market share in PC's is exactly what makes them so promising... LOTS of room left to grow.
Yes, as a stockholder I am absolutely salivating at this point. Was also nice to see Oprah Winfrey give the whole audience video ipods as part of her annual 'favorite things' episode, calling them, "The must have item for Christmas this year."

Over 1 million videos downloaded in just under 20 days pretty much says it all.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Was also nice to see Oprah Winfrey give the whole audience video ipods
...But they were probably hoping for new cars instead ;-)
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:20 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Apple should've gone with AMD. Next thing you'll know is that Microsoft will buy more Apple shares. That's no good. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:56 AM   #7
Trustee

OT: I bought shares in march and am up 50% in six months, the only thing I regret is that I didn't have more money to put into the company (and that I didn't put anything in sooner). That being said I predict record earnings this quarter (like every quarter before it) followed by a mass sell off after the report is released, followed by a huge jump after macworld in january.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:15 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
Next thing you'll know is that Microsoft will buy more Apple shares.
Well, remember back around 1997 when Bill Gates appeared on the big video screen at MacWorld and Steve Jobs thanked him "saving the company." Microsoft bought $150M of Apple stock back then. Adjusting for splits, I think that investment is now worth over $2 billion!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51