DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP hangs when capturing to firewire HD

I'm unable to capture video to a new La Cie 250G external FW400 HD (7200,8M). FCP 4.0 hangs every time. Capturing to one of my internal IDE drives isn't a problem. I'm on a Dual 1 Ghz PowerPC G4, 1.5 GB SDRAM, running OS 10.3.9.

The external HD is connected to one of the two standard FW ports. Would a FW card solve the problem? Do I have to upgrade FCP and does that promise to fix anything?

Thanks.
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Stephen, and welcome to DVinfo. AFAIK, the upgrade to FCP 4.5 is free and can be downloaded from Apple's site. I'd do that for starters.

What version of Quicktime are you running? QT 7 does not work with FCP 4.x. See if either of these help:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....81&postcount=2
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49838

You should not have a problem using an external capture drive, generally speaking. BUT there do seem to be firewire issues with Canon camcorders, and interestingly there also seem to be a number of reports of LaCie issues. OTOH, a lot of people don't have problems with these. Yes, a firewire card might solve the problem, but try some the suggestions above first.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm on QT 6.4 and a JVC camcorder as a deck. Because capturing to the IDE drives is fine, I'd suspect there's a problem with the rate of transfer to the FW HD. That's why I'd consider a FW card.

Of course, I can simply capture to my internal drives and move files later. But I'd prefer to use the external as a dedicated capture drive.
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Wrangler

Well I find it odd that FCP hangs (crashes?) when you try to capture. Normally those firewire problems result in dropped frames during capture and playback, but not crashes. What happens if you move some files to the external drive, set it as your scratch disk, and then do some editing. Does that work OK? If so then there's probably some other issue.

IMO, 10.3.9 is not Apple's finest version of OSX. It has a bunch of stuff added to make it more compatible with QT 7 and other 10.4 components - maybe not a good idea for an old piece of software like FCP 4.

Did your try updating to FCP 4.5? I'd do that for starters, and apply the "pro app" patches to it as well. I think the software update panel in System Preferences will do this for you although you will probably have to run it more than one time. Otherwise try these links:

FCP 4.5: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...lcutprohd.html

Pro App update for 10.3.9: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...acosx1039.html

Over the summer I did quite a lot of video editing in South America on my G4 Powerbook with external drives using 10.3.9 and FCP 4.5. I never had any issues capturing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite