This XL-H1 camera does everything my Z1U camera does.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #16
Trustee

Actually it's called ProHD to differentiate from “normal” (or the first flavor) HDV, which is 1080i. ProHD also has different GOP, so I think JVC just didn’t want people to think it was the old HDV like in the Sony or Canon, but real progressive and more efficient HDV. In my opinion to say ProHD is HDV is like saying DVCPRO is DV. It is, but then again, it’s not.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #17
Major Player

The Sony goes to f11 before closing. The Canon goes to f9.5 before closing.

Canon says, and it's true, that to take full advantage of HDV and the lens (true of all lenses) it's better to shoot between t4 and t9 - and use ND externally if necessary - very good professional advice, actually..... so this isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned.

So...in my opinion, the Sony lens is better for moviemaking out the box.

I've been shooting a little with a friend's Sony. It takes nice pictures, actually, and Sony is noted for very few drop-outs - I have a DSR-300 (with, what else, a Canon lens) that I've shot a lot with for 8 years and I don't think I've had more than 2 or 3 drop-outs in all that time.

But, the XL's lens is far superior to the Sony's in a lot of ways. It's true it isn't very wide, but generally I tend to move closer in on things anyway, I don't like a loose frame (and if you look closly at feature films you'll see that is true for most cinematographers and directors).. I would rather have a lens that's designed for the majority of the stuff I shoot and not a compromise in order to accomodate the few times I need something wider.

This is my first post in this forum. FYI, I am a documentary filmmaker and have worked as a DP in 35 and 16 for over 30 years. In my opinion, the Canon ain't perfect, but it's the one I chose because it "feels" like a camera. I shot a doc last year with the 100A, and while I really did like the pictures it produced, the Panasonic camera felt cheesy to me. The lens clunks and the loose front element and the fit and finish of the camera turned me off. Just my opinion...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #18
New Boot

there isn't a deck on the market that will play 24F or 30F footage from the Canon.

Won't the Sony HVR-10MU work with the XLH1?

Joe
Joe Brockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #19
New Boot

[QUOTE=[there isn't a deck on the market that will play 24F or 30F footage from the Canon.]

Joe
Joe Brockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brockert
Only for 1080/60i. No Sony product will play 1080/24F or 1080/30F.

If you shoot 1080/24F or 1080/30F, the only product of any type on the market that can play it back is the XLH1 camera.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #21
New Boot

Thanks Barry. It was there all the time but I'm too much of a newbe to really see it unless it's pointed out.

Joe
Joe Brockert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders