Let's talk about the "CONSOLE" program from Canon.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 18th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Let's talk about the "CONSOLE" program from Canon....

Ok...I'm excited again.
Canon has hit another homerun with me.

The CONSOLE program is like HDV Rack on steroids. Well...maybe not like that, but it's damn sure aweome for the Canon XL-H1...here we go:

I plan on getting CONNECT HD from CineForm for Sony Vegas. it was released last night and it FULLY SUPPORTS the Canon XL-H1 in ALL modes for capture. But before I get it, I decided to give this console stuff a try. I downloaded the trial from the Canon website to check it out.

If you put your XL-H1 on the EXT.CONT. setting on the dial, it renders the camera functions to your firewire connected laptop PC.

This program is SWEET! I mean besides the vectorscope and wave monitor it comes with, it does ALL SORTS of stuff:

- Captures DV files in AVI1, AVI2 & MXF type files
- Captures HDV files in MPEG2TS & MPG2ES type files (renames the extension *.mpeg)
- Changes camera modes (vcr or camera or SD card)
- Gives you Time Lapse function (both frame and Sequence) for those peoplke who wanna record a flower grow or sun go down or something. lol
- all custom presents are accessible, uploadable & downloadable.
- IT GIVES YOU TOTAL CONTROL OF ALMSOT EVERYTHING ON YOUR CAMERA!. I mean every single knob and control. AE Shift, Wht Bal, Iris, Shutter, Gain, etc... You can change the frame rate, aspect ratio, start colorbars, set the zoom speed and focus speed and control them both as well!

I mean, this thing may change the way Cinematographers deal with the camera. You can hire a "Camera Operator" to do the moevents of the camera, and the "DP" never needs to touch it. He/She can simply adjust EVERY CAMERA IMAGE SETTING from a laptop in the other room while capturing HIDEF footage to the harddrive simultaneoulsy with the MiniDV tape in the camera. The Camera Operator never has to touch the record button because your DP can speed the camera from the laptop. *smile* Pair this with a shot list open in another window that contains scene camera settings....you're DP can be Highly efficient. Especially if they are using the "SPLIT-SCREEN" function it has on a wide-screen laptop with SXGA resolution! Your image color settings would be a snap. this is AMAZING!!

But that's not all folks... it will capture channel 3 & 4 of your 4-channel audio as .wav files!!! So this means, you can use the camera Mic as a stereo reference mic on channel 1 & 2, and record XLR inputted Dialogue to channels 3 & 4 all at the same time if you wanted to.

It also has this "VARIATION" feature that will give you a layout of the current scene with snapshot thumbnail images to show you what each of the twenty three(23) preset image control settings would look like if you decided to choose it. Simply pick your favorite look and set it.

_____________ here's the awesome part _____________
just like the DV footage, 24f, 30f & 60i HDV footage can be captured directly to your computer.....and guess what.....the 24f and 30f HDV footage comes in as 24P & 30P!! for 24p HDV, the pulldown is already removed and everything! Something we were asking Sony to do for CF24 that they wouldn't do, Canon has done it no problem for XL-H1 users!

What am I saying, you ask?
I am saying...TODAY, RIGHT NOW, AS I TYPE THIS MESSAGE...I can go out and shoot a movie in 24p High Definition with my XL-H1, and come to the office and simply capture the raw .m2t HDV footage to my PC as 24p HDV files ready for editing with pulldown removed!!!! Or better yet, if I wanted to have a laptop on the set with me, I can capture it as I go!!!!

I did two tests of 24f footage. One in DV mode and one in HDV mode. I set the camera in DV mode and came back and sat at my laptop. In the console program, I set the frame rate to 24f and hit the record button and it began recording on the camera "AND" onto my laptop. I recorded a few seconds. I then walked across the room & switched the camera to High Definition(HDV) mode, then went back at the computer & checked to make sure the frame rate was 24f then captured a few seconds as HDV 24f.

I then opened up SONY VEGAS 5 (i dont have 6 yet) and used the "import media button". I navigated over to MY DOCUMENTS where the two 24f clips were captured and I highlighted each one individually. (In Sony Vegas, you can simply highlight the clips and it will give you the information about each clip) here's what Sony Vegas said.....
24f DV clip captured with CONSOLE:
File Type: Video For Windows
Audio: 48,000 Hz, 16Bit, Stereo
Video: 720x480x24, 23.976 fps
Streams: 2

24f HDV clip captured with CONSOLE:
File Type: MainConcept MPEG-2
Audio: 48,000 Hz, Stereo
Video: 1440x1080x32, 23.976 fps
Streams: 2

Now I don't know about you guys, but that's GOOD NEWS...it gets better:
I went ahead and imported the DV24p file and put it on a widescreen 24p timeline. All was perfect as expected and was treated as if I captured it from a Canon XL2 in 24p (2-3) mode...it was sweet 24p Digital Video perfectly progressive, not one sign of interlacing or jitter or anything.
THE BIG TEST: I then imported the HDV24p MPEG file (console automatically names the captured HDV files as .MPEG instead of .M2T) and set the timeline to match the file. Vvegas does this automatically using the MATCH MEDIA SETTINGS option. And guess what......
SAME GREAT RESULT! it was sweet 24p Digital Video perfectly progressive, not one sign of interlacing or jitter or anything. Only difference was...it was HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO BABY! Good Ole' HDV.

------ if that wasn't enough ------

the damn program prints your video BACK TO TAPE! *faint* And you can preview it being printed on the cameras View Finder.

How do you like them apples?? *smile*

Only thing I DO NOT KNOW is the price of this software.... Either way, I'm gonna still get the CONNECT HD program from CineForm, because they have one helluva sweet intermediate HD Codec!!

*gone*

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Shannon, thanks for the information. I should be able to test the same soon, but in the mean time would like to know couple things. First, my purpose is to put the camera on the head of the crane, and would be really surprised if one were able to set the neutral density with the console program. Second, does the Console program have any recording buffer? (If one hits record, does the program store the previous 5-30 seconds?) Finally, if you record all four audio channels, will the audio signal be compressed? Or, do you mean, you can record channels 1&2 on tape in the camera and separately channels 3&4 on the laptop, all uncompressed 16bit and 48kHz sampling rate?
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Well, I've griped to Canon before about their user-UNfriendly web site, and I guess it is time again. I signed up to be notified about release of the Console software even before the H1 hit the street, but Shannon's post is the first indication I had that it is available. I just went through the registration process twice, including turning off my anti-virus and firewall software, and only get the usual Canon download-window-tries-to-open-but-can't crap. (EDIT): Waited a while, tried again on another computer, and finally got the download. The ol' third time's a charm thing. Will load it later today and give it a whirl.

Wonder what it will cost? SHOULD be a nominal charge, but given they went to the trouble to put all kinds of restrictions on the trial version, makes me think it'll be expensive.

SECOND EDIT: Was able to load the trial software, but much like the sporadic problems I had with DVPC software for the XL2, it will simply NOT recognize the XL H1 as being present on the system despite trying it on Ext Control, VCR mode, and in Manual record mode. PPro capture window immediately shows the live image, so it isn't the computer or the camera. The problem is somewhere in the Canon software. And on two computers I've been unable to download the manual for the software (may not even be posted yet as there is no post date next to the link)...same window-closing problem as is usual with the Canon web site. The software LOOKS nice, but I can't use it yet. CanonUSA, this ain't the way to get me to open my wallet even further...
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen
Shannon, thanks for the information. I should be able to test the same soon, but in the mean time would like to know couple things. First, my purpose is to put the camera on the head of the crane, and would be really surprised if one were able to set the neutral density with the console program. Second, does the Console program have any recording buffer? (If one hits record, does the program store the previous 5-30 seconds?) Finally, if you record all four audio channels, will the audio signal be compressed? Or, do you mean, you can record channels 1&2 on tape in the camera and separately channels 3&4 on the laptop, all uncompressed 16bit and 48kHz sampling rate?
1. I just took a look and no....you can't control the ND filter that built in the lens. (that sucks)
2. again, no. CONSOLE does not have a recording buffer that I can see in this 1.0 version. HDVRACK has that cool feature (sucks again)
3. All audio signals will be compressed. Because you have to have the camera set to 4-channel recording to do this. If you have the camera on 2-channel recording but plug in audio via 3&4........wait a minute..... you know.... I have no idea. It MIGHT work...hell, that's someting I need to test. Put the camera on 2-channel to record its best audio on tape, but still plug in an external audio source to 3&4 and see if CONSOLE will record it. I highly doubt that will work, but maybe....Best guess is NO.

HEY PETE....
Make sure your camera has "DV CONTROL" turned on in the menu under SYSTEM. It won't work without it. And you're right about the price of this software. It better not be more then $50 bucks! I just dropped $9 grand on a damn handycam....they better not go taxing me for some software! *smile*

P.S.
Someone sent me an email asking about my firewire cable and how did I find one...I have a big senty-five foot(75') 4pin to 4pin firewire cable. I forgot where I bought it, but I paid $55 bucks for it last year somewhere on the internet. I used to use it for DV Rack on shoots. I would have my Sound Mixer monitor the laptop for me as we recorded a backup to it. It's super thick and is grey and works like a charm. Try Markertek.com(sp?) or something like that.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
HEY PETE....
Make sure your camera has "DV CONTROL" turned on in the menu under SYSTEM. It won't work without it.
Unfortunately, no dice. I've tried it on two very different computers in a number of different settings. Perhaps I have a unique problem or am missing something obvious, but since I have spent an entire morning working on this using two very different computers, I really gotta think the CONSOLE software has a problem, especially since it is clearly based on its glitchy DV-PC predecessor. What a waste of my Sunday morning.

Both the Virtual VCR and Canon video camera device drivers show up without error in the Windows Hardware settings, but the Console software simply will not recognize that a camera is attached. Other unhappiness:

- Cannot access the menus from Ext Control, so you have to go to a shooting mode to turn on DV Control, then back to Ext Control
- On my editing box (which would be my "studio monitor" if this #$@*! software would work), every time I try to open the Console software with the camera already switched on in Ext Control, I get a BSOD.
- Canon hasn't obtained Microsoft certification for the software (I can see why not!)

If you're lucky like Shannon and the trial version works for you, good deal. Otherwise, my recommendation for now is "NOT RECOMMENDED. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK."

I call upon Canon to take the following actions without delay:

- Make the software WORK reliably (I'll be e-mailing BSOD error codes to Canon and hope anyone else experiencing problems would do the same).
- Publically state the price of the software.
- Publically post the full documentation for the software (user manual!!!).
- Either obtain Microsoft Certification or fully warrant against loss to both hardware and Intellectual Property, to include data files already existing on a system damaged or corrupted by uncertified Canon software (I'll bet The Big Company will do neither -- very few would -- but a truly good corporate citizen offering a top-shelf product WOULD stand that firmly behind its stuff. We shall see).

Canon makes great cameras, and I've even been pretty happy with the software support of the Canon digital still cameras we own, but the Canon Video side of the house continues to look bad simply for poor web and software performance.
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Wrangler

Well Pete (and Shannon),

I registered also since the software is backwards compatible with the XL-2 supporting most functions. I haven't gotten any notification either about it being available.

As for price....you ain't going to like this, but I remember seeing on the website something in the $495.00 ballpark.

I was going to go look for where I saw that but the Canon website won't even come up right now. I'll keep checking. Meantime, if the one of you two could email me the package, I'd like to try it since it's a free demo version.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Wrangler

Greg,

Looks like the Canon web site is back up.

If it is another $500 for the software, I guess I'll just forget about it for the time being. Maybe I'd pay that if/when I have a truly critically pressing need for its unique features. For now, no way in he!!.
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Major Player

if it's $500 bucks....forget about it!

hell, if it's $100 bucks....forget about it!

and yes, in Ext. Cont. you cannot access the menu. I guess because it's expected that everything is controled via the software.

Either way, it's cool software.

oh well, i digress.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #9
New Boot

Never thought I'd say these words, But "it sucks having a Mac" It would be nice to have either DVRack or Canon's Console.
Kevin Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Live recording only!

I just realized CONSOLE is a live recording program, not a capturing program. It does not have tape transport buttons (play, ffw, record, stop, rwd). It will only record footage coming from CAMERA mode. It will not record footage already recorded on the tape. You can't even hit the PLAY button on the camera itself and let it record that way either. A HUGE LIMITATION i just found.

On the GOOD SIDE: the console program DOES in fact have a pre-record buffer that Lauri asked about. You can set it from 1 to 10 seconds in the preferences. *smile* I didn't see that before.

Here's the instructions manual everybody.....

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=12155

- ShannonRawls.com

Last edited by Shannon Rawls; December 19th, 2005 at 09:12 AM.
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Shannon!

If i try to download the manual it always tells me i have no permission ? Could someone please host it - or send it to me if i am the only one with this problem - Thanks Again!
Michael Karrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #12
Major Player

go here mike...

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=12155
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
On the GOOD SIDE: the console program DOES in fact have a pre-record buffer
That's good news! I've also heard the cost will be around 300$ to 400$.

BTW, the XL H1 PAL version should have arrived in the country today. Should get mine in a few days.

BTW2, I also had serious problems downloading the Console program. But once I set the "security level" of the browser to "low", then downloading went smoothly. Bit odd from Canon, should I say.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #14
Wrangler

Yes, as I noted yesterday, there isn't a date next to the link for the Console software User's Manual and the linked window just closes. I think they just haven't posted the manual. Also there is NO help menu at all in the trial version. The software itself is there (at least at the Canon USA site. I haven't checked the Europe site, which is entirely separate and generally better done, IMHO), but since they use pop-up windows for downloads, security software may block it.

Lauri, will be very interested to hear how your trial of the software goes. I do see a pre-buffer option in the record window but of course since the software won't recognize my camera I can't test it myself.

I did email Canon yesterday; awaiting a response.
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #15
Major Player

I am reading the manual now in PDF form. The link doesn't work for you guys?

- Shan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders