Clean the heads on a brand new camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Clean the heads on a brand new camera?

Greetings,
I know i read this somewhere on here before, but I couldn't find it again. Is it recommended to clean the heads on a brand new camera out of the box? Does it make a difference or is it simply precautionary? I'm about to buy a GL2 and I have a Panasonic head cleaner already. Thanks.
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Highly recommended... I would also shoot at least an hour of stuff you dont mind losing... I generally just black out a tape with a new camera...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Major Player

I believe the best policy is to clean delicate video heads only when they show signs of needing it. Worn heads is the most common problem with camcorders and unnecessary cleaning cycles can speed up the process. It's not a bad idea to record some non-essential material on a new camcorder, just to test it out, before going after something important.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Highly reccomended. Sometimes it says to do so right there in the manual. I did a test tape with an XL2 right out of the box and it had drops, cleaned it, no problem since.

Sure, extra cleaning might cause undue wear. OTOH I'd prefer a total head failure to loosing a day's shoot because I didn't clean after the Nth tape.

New heads for a GL2 = ~$600 parts and labor
Getting a couple dozen people to work in your movie for free on a rainy Saturday = priceless
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Major Player

On the Panasonic GS line, we have had numerous reports of clogged heads right out of the box or within the first week. Not sure why it is that way, but it is. Give em a cleaning.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I have always advocated running a head cleaning cassette in any new camera, first thing right out of the box.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I have always advocated running a head cleaning cassette in any new camera, first thing right out of the box.
Can't hurt at all. Outgassing and the like could affect the heads. I like what Ash suggests: a throwaway tape to test things. Just do it. Test various settings, filters and the like, then if the tape is so-so, put it in your scrap bin. Nothing lost, everything gained.

Then stick to the mono-brand theory. Nothing but (x) tapes for my machine!
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Major Player

My Z1 (and the Pro HDV tape that comes with it) is not even a week old but almost everything that I've captured has had some problem with it.

There are strange black and brown bars that appear over part of the image.

Just small bars and they're only there for a few frames but I am assuming they're caused by dirt.

Anyone else seen these sort of things?

I'll run the head cleaning tape and see what happens.
John Hewat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line