HD10u and Letus35 test footage downloads at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD10u and Letus35 test footage downloads

Here is some footage using the JVC HD10U camera and a Letus35 adapter. I used a nikon 100mm 2.8 lens for all shots. There are about 6 movie downloads on the link.. 6 in WMV format and 6 in Divx... All shots shot in 720p 30p and color corected in vegas.....

I just shot these for tests. I really did not prep for anything. I just turned the camera on and shot to test color rendition and depth of field...

Let me know what you think of the clips....

I like the one that says trees and the SF walk....

san francisco Walk 720P divx

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...eae70d81ad6f1b

letus35a test divx

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...1887af3d205cdb

trees 720p HD Divx

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...ccc6009d86fe22

Paul drumming HD 720P Divx

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...b53b9fbd4eccfc

sfwalk wmv9 file

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...3f2f4bb70093ca

park720p WMV

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...57e1dba72aef08

no color correction birds 720p wmv

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...1bdb03dbdeef36

no color correction paul 720p wmv

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...f5aa2320475bba
Erick von Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Wow, I am dying to check these out, but the links are a no-go for me. Help, I wannna check it out!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Too difficult to download...

I'd sure like to see 'em though!
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Trustee

I seem to have been able to DL a few of them. Will keep trying.
Looks great. Can you tell us more about the Letus35 adapter and nikon 100mm 2.8 lens?
How hard was it to adapt, what are the highs and lows of that setup in your opinion. What is the cost?
Thanks
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a ton for posting these! I just acquired an HD1 and am looking at getting a Letus35 for it as well, so these were extremely welcome.

I'm noticing a lot of vignetting, especially on the SF clips. Is there any way you can reduce that? Like zooming in more or something? Because I'd consider that an unacceptable level of vignetting for what I'm going to be doing, so if it can't be corrected I'll have to find a different 35mm adapter.

(What's the technical term for these things (like the Letus35, Mini35, Micro35, etc.) anyway?)

Last edited by Joel Kreisel; January 4th, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Joel Kreisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Major Player

There seems to be a big resolution drop using this adaptor. Are you sure it was setup ok? It looked like SD res, or lower.
Remind me, is the Letus the one with the GG mounted on flexi rods, with the pager motor on the GG ? Or is it a fixed GG ?

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Regarding the website you're using to store your files it's really obnoxious. One has to go through 3 pages with timed delays just to download one damn file! I can understand a page with adverts but this is ridiculous. Oh, and it's slow too.

Also, it hung half the way through so I couldn't really see the video.

Sorry for the rant, but just warning other peepers that it's going to be a painful experience...
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Resolution drop

Remember this footage has been compressed from the original file which is over 200 mb's to over a gigabyte per file.... The new files are very very compressed.. The resolution is about 80 percent lost.. the clips are just for the depth of field tests.. So you can see what can be ontained with the 35mm lens adapter.... Anytime you shrink a file from hundreds of megabuytes to 6 to 20 mb's there is going to be image resolution lost...

The links do kind of suck.. But hey it's free and I was getting 50k per second downloads from them.. So It may depend on your conection as well.... Plus I checked the stats and there are over 1000 downloads so far so it seems to be working for most people....

I have these links posted on three other sites.. I just wanted to help people see the shallow depth of field they can obtain. The resolution it with the Letus is very small and actually helps take away the video look and give it a more film like appearance...
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That still doesn't answer the issue of the vignetting though. Have you tried to correct it? It's pretty severe.
Joel Kreisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #10
Trustee

Glad you came back Erick. Any chance you could answer any of my origional questions?
As for the web site, free or not, it sucks! After dozens of attemps I did manage to get a few clips, but the majority of my attemeps would stop at %80 and I would be forced to cancel and try again. So I think that 1000's DL stst might be misleading.
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Trustee

*Bump*
Erick?
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Vignetting Issue

The vignetting is not in the original footage.... But as soon as I adjust the color channels to fix the crappy color of an HDV one chip camera.. The sides darken to give that vignetting look.. It only happened in a few of the clips.. I have no idea what causes this. but in the origianl footage it has no vignetting at all.....
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Website..

If anyone else is having severe issues with the download site let me know.... I have not had any issues from it yet.. It is a free website that lets you post anything up to 150 mb's for free... If anyone knows a great hosting site with unlimited badwidth downloads for a good price let me know....

I am getting ready to shoot a short with the redrock micro and letus35 side by side.. I will probably start shooting at the end of febuary.. I will post it once it is complete.....

I just downloaded all the clips and they all downloaded fine..... So I don't know what the issue could be.. The download peaked at 177kbs and then settled down to about 20kbs... So it is not bad for a free site....
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey Erick. Wellcome back. Can you let us know the price of your setup, minus lens?
"But as soon as I adjust the color channels to fix the crappy color of an HDV one chip camera.. "
Funny, but for many the colour rendition of the cam are one of the best features. Me included.

"The sides darken to give that vignetting look.. It only happened in a few of the clips.. I have no idea what causes this. but in the origianl footage it has no vignetting at all....."

Well CC isn't going to cause that effect unless it was already there. Period. The CC is just showing it. I would recommend a slight zoom to cancel the effect completely. Keep us posted on your further tests.
Good luck & good shooting.
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #15
Regular Crew

setup price

I don't know what setup price you are referring to.. But I will just list the cost of the stuff i ahve..

letus35a 350.00 shipping included.. Pay the extra 50.00 for the metal mount..
JVC HD10u 1500.00 off of Ebay...
Craigs list and ebay for most of the lenses.. 16mm,50mm, 105mm, 135mm 2.8 aperature for all... Did not pay over 75.00 for any of them...

I got most of my new lighting kit in today.. So I can do some better indoor tests once the third box arrives...

I also have an HD monitor for the field now so I do not have to rely on the lcd screen anymore.. So I can get a more accurate image.... In the next week or so I will post some new ones...
Erick von Schulz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods