The HD100 on location in Madagascar - my experience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The HD100 on location in Madagascar - my experience

Several people have written me wanting to know more about my experience with the HD100 during a grueling two week shoot in Madagascar last October. Unfortunately, I have not had time to write it up, but Studio Monthly's Beth Merchant did a nice job summarizing the experience in the current issue.

The article is available on-line at: http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ssue/5887.html

What the article does not mention (because it happened after the interview) is that the camera had to go back to the factory for extensive repairs afterwards. This is not surprising considering that the camera was literally (and unintentionally) underwater more than once - with nothing but a rain cover for protection. But, in any case, you may want to think twice before you run off and try the same thing!
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Awesome story Andrew, your experience with the camera is just classic. I love the Gorilla glue. When can we expect to see the show?
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Air Date

Great Job Andrew, I got to tip my hat for you, I read the article the other day, very great job. When will it be on the air? Other threads said it would air this Sunday 8th @ 10:00am, is this true. Please let me know , I am eager to view your footage.

So you shot it in 720p HDV 30fps right? why not 24p, just a question, curiouse of your descion... thanks for taking the time to post a thread Andrew.

Manny Rodriguez
Manny Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
...why not 24p, just a question, curiouse of your descion...
Likely so he could edit!

Andrew, in the text of the article, you talk about how durable you thought the camera is. In contrast, for some reason over the months I've had mine, I feel a need to baby it...unlike say, an LTR or a BVW-400. I guess I tend to think the lightweight DV transport is easy to mess up.

After all the bouncing around on the shoot, did you have any trouble getting tapes to digitize due to tracking errors/recording head misalignment?
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Likely so he could edit!
Hi Nate,

Yes, that's exactly why. I had a delivery deadline to deal with and there was no reason not to shoot 30p for my two clients. The filmout was an afterthought and done as a test. It was MOS, so there were no consequences of slowing the footage down - just like shooting film at 30fps.

Quote:
Andrew, in the text of the article, you talk about how durable you thought the camera is. In contrast, for some reason over the months I've had mine, I feel a need to baby it...unlike say, an LTR or a BVW-400. I guess I tend to think the lightweight DV transport is easy to mess up.
I don't have that much experience with Betacams, but I would definately not say that the camera is durable like an LTR. Nore was I expecting it to be, given that is has much more plastic than an LTR. I was just amazed that it held up as well as it did.

It is also worth pointing out that while this was a very abusive shooting experience, I have only used the camera a handfull of days since then, so your own experiences may be more telling.

Quote:
After all the bouncing around on the shoot, did you have any trouble getting tapes to digitize due to tracking errors/recording head misalignment?
I had no such problems, but I did often get the "Heads need to be cleaned" warning, which was very unnerving - although none of the footage turned out to have problems. In any case, I'm anxious to switch over to hard disk recording asap.
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Tapes

what type of type did you use?

when will it air?
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Tapes

Hi Manny,

I used Sony PHDVM-63DM. They're the most expensive ones on the market (about $18). I guess I was attempting to buy peace of mind.

In about 18 hours of shooting I had about a half dozen "incidents." All but one of these turned out to be the tracking errors David Leitner spoke of in the article - not real dropouts. One was a real humdinger - and it was on the very first tape!
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I know there was a post on the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ, out there but can't find it, you ever used these? As per a JVC rep. @ the Los Angeles Dv Expo, they told me to stick with either the Sony 63min pro, Or the Panasonic 63min pro, just stick with one brand, incase of emergency stick your head cleaner and swap the other brand, but they insisted I stick with one. It's pretty hard to decide on what type of tapes to use when you have the end user giving their beleives and expiriences on these products. thanks for your info..

Manny
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
As per a JVC rep. @ the Los Angeles Dv Expo, they told me to stick with either the Sony 63min pro...
They did??? I like those and have been using them with Sony gear but I am reluctant to use them with the JVC. So far nobody was able to really explain the difference between the 'wet' lubricated SONY and 'dry' Panasonic/JVC, etc. tapes.
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young
Several people have written me wanting to know more about my experience with the HD100 during a grueling two week shoot in Madagascar last October. Unfortunately, I have not had time to write it up, but Studio Monthly's Beth Merchant did a nice job summarizing the experience in the current issue.

The article is available on-line at: http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ssue/5887.html

What the article does not mention (because it happened after the interview) is that the camera had to go back to the factory for extensive repairs afterwards. This is not surprising considering that the camera was literally (and unintentionally) underwater more than once - with nothing but a rain cover for protection. But, in any case, you may want to think twice before you run off and try the same thing!
Hi Andrew,

Is it you that's coming to Columbia College on Feb 2?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Hi Andrew,

Is it you that's coming to Columbia College on Feb 2?
Yes, Stephen. I'll be showing the 35mm filmout. I think I'll be doing the same in LA on Jan. 31st, but it's not in stone yet. I'll keep you all posted.
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young
Yes, Stephen. I'll be showing the 35mm filmout. I think I'll be doing the same in LA on Jan. 31st, but it's not in stone yet. I'll keep you all posted.
Good stuff Andrew. Can't wait to see how yours turned out. Our group is working on an HD-100 film out for a follow up event. I'll be there and am looking forward to it.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #13
Wrangler

Looking forward to the LA screening Andrew--did you get to do that second pass on the filmout you were hoping to?
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Charles,

Hoping to in the next few weeks. Your mini35 test should be in the mix as well.
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Regular Crew

HD100 footage on PBS this Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
When can we expect to see the show?
Hi Michael,

From what I can tell, the first installment will go out this Sunday (Jan 8) on PBS, as a part of National Geographic's Wild Chronicles series. I saw 10am on the web but check local listings. (Ahem... not exactly prime time). The second installment is due to follow a week later. This is a news magazine show, so the segments are fairly short.

For those interested, I shot this material at 720p30, edited at 720p30 on FCP, then downconverted to DV 4x3 on FCP (also did pan & scan on FCP). It was then output to DVCAM for delivery to NGT.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems