DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Every FCP user should read this book

For anyone using FCP I highly recommend reading this book. It outlines everything you need to know about setups, optimization and some "hidden" tweaks even the guys at Apple Pro Support didn't know about.

"Optimizing your Final Cut Pro System", Apple Pro Training Series; Cullen, Geller, Roberts, Wilt.

This book is a must-have if you're serious about getting the most of the hardware/software combination.
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Robert,

Where to get that book? also, some friends told me to make my timeline in FCP 29.97 when shooting at 24fps on the Canon XL2 so that I can export to dvd. Is this the case? I shouldn't make the timeline 24fps? I'm new to FCP, just about to purchase it, so I'm not knowledgable about this.

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

You can get the book at any large bookseller (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc).

As far as the timeline goes specifically shooting with XL2 footage, I would suggest using the standard DV presets in Final Cut. Since you don't own a copy yet (and I'm assuming haven't used it yet) giving instruction won't make much sense, but getting that book will absolutely answer all your setup questions.

I taught myself FCP and DVD SP 3 last year using books similar to the one mentioned above which come with DVD tutorials. If you're the type that can learn in a self-paced environment you'd do well doing the same.

Go check out your local bookstore, there are plenty of DIY how-to books on FCP 5, DVD SP, Motion, etc.
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Lucinda,

I haven't burned a dvd yet to 24p but if you export through compressor you can choose 23.98 (I think) and 24p...

Plus my editing system is in another state and I haven't even upgraded from 4.5 to 5 yet...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi,

I see that the book is sold everywhere just about. I'll get a copy. Yes, I'm like you: I've taught myself just about everything either thru dvd's, books and friends....and of course this forum! thanks so much.
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #6

Thanks Robert

Robert, thanks for the recommendation! I had not seen this book yet. I'm looking forward to getting it just in time for the weekend. I bought it along with a few other FCP books just now in Amazon and it sure is cool knowing some of the DVinfo.net members are book authors as well! Just another factor that illustrates the quality of information in this forum.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite