More on Using the Nikon Lenses and GYHD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More on Using the Nikon Lenses and GYHD100

The Jan issue of Digital Studios a Middle East Publication, has a write up on my use of the GYHD100 with Nikon lenses.
Below is the link.

http://www.itp.net/business/features...gory=broadcast
http://www.itp.com/magazines/current.php?magid=9

Yusuf
Yusuf Thakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Great article, Yusuf. Congratulations!
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf Thakur
The Jan issue of Digital Studios a Middle East Publication, has a write up on my use of the GYHD100 with Nikon lenses.
Below is the link.

http://www.itp.net/business/features...gory=broadcast
http://www.itp.com/magazines/current.php?magid=9

Yusuf
Yusuf,

Great article! Very informative. I woudl like to get from you the information on two things: the contact person in Germany for the Nikon addapter, and information as to where I can rent/buy your documentary. I am very happy to hear such great information about the camera and how well is serving to the filmaking community.

Thanks,

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Yusuf,

Terrific read and I'm happy to hear about your success.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #5
Major Player

More Info please...

Hi Yusuf - Great article... Have been thinking of buying the Nikon fit mount adapter from a company in the UK (les@lesbosher.co.uk) that has them in stock for £140.00 + vat - Can you tell me what benefits you have found by using the Nikon Lenses (we have a number of these 14mm - to 300mm) i.e - sharper? no CA? at what focal length do you begin to get better shallow DoF as compared to the stock JVC - when wanting to say soften the background when shooting a head & waist shot for example.

Many Thanks

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nikon Mount

The mount is avilable from Zoerk at www.Zoerk.com, send him an email and he should be able to help, Andrew Young also bought one from Zoerk on my advise and is happy with it too. Both the adapters made by Zoerk and Les( I belive) are mchanical adapters, so should have similar results, though I have only used the one by Zoerk. The adapter does NOT give you the same results as you would get from a 35mm lens on a 35mm Camera, we have had a previous forum where this was disscussed in detail, below are the links.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=Nikon+Mount
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

DOF/Nikon Lenses M2

We recently recived the M2 from redrock after 3 months, we are still testing it but thats the way to go if you want shallow depth of field and create a unique look. We are still testing and hopefully will post some results later.
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
We recently recived the M2 from redrock after 3 months, we are still testing it but thats the way to go if you want shallow depth of field and create a unique look. We are still testing and hopefully will post some results later.
Are you using it with the HD100 or a different camera?
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

On two Cameras

We have already tested it with DVX100 waiting for the shim kit which will ready today then we will test it on the HD100.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Contributor

Quote:
We have already tested it with DVX100 waiting for the shim kit which will ready today then we will test it on the HD100.
Yusuf I'd be interested to know if you can use your Nikon adapter with a stock nikon macro lens or a nikon lens with achromat to form a viable relay lens for your Redrock...

should give you a more compact system and a better image thatn the stock lens.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Interesting

Will try this out.

Yusuf
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Yusuf I'd be interested to know if you can use your Nikon adapter with a stock nikon macro lens or a nikon lens with achromat
Micro Nikkors are sharp lenses. That would be a great combo if it worked. Since you have to zoom in on the ground glass of these adapters quite a bit there's one 35mm lens focal length that is the most "right". That'll probably require a little experimentation to figure out.

Go Yusuf! :-)
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Yusuf.

Could you add more details about the difference between the use of the Zoerk adapter compared to the M2? I'm not familiar with these devices and I'd like to know what are you looking for with the M2 that you could not obtain otherwise (yes, I'm totally clueless :))

Thanks.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Difference

The basic diff is with the nikon mount, the feel is still video the dof is not shallow enough to create the so called film look. But its great for mounting long lenses please read the above links for more info. On the other hand M2
does create that shallow dof using 35mm lenses, there has been a lot of discussion on wide angle lenses for the GYHD100, we did a test of mounting a
17mm nikon lense via the M2, its one the widest view I have ever seen through a Video Camera Viewfinder.

Nikon Lens via the Zoerk mount, excellent for long lenses READ Wildlife/Sport
Nikon Lens via the M2 creates a unique look, the closest you can get to a film look
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
we did a test of mounting a
17mm nikon lense via the M2, its one the widest view I have ever seen through a Video Camera Viewfinder.
I guess it would look pretty wide with my Nikon 14mm lens too then ;-)
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems