Pp2 - ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pp2 - ?

Anybody locate any decent reviews of this yet? I browsed Adobe's forums but they are a chaotic mess. I'm just wondering if PP2 is worth rushing out and upgrading to or if I can stand to wait a few months and finish my project first :)
Alec Lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

finish your project first..thats what i'm doing....i would never swtich nle's even if its the same company..... if your stuff is working well...keep at it...
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I probably will - mostly because I'm using some heavy Magic Bullet looks in this one and I don't know if PP2 supports it or not.

I do, however, hope that they actually have implemented decent 24p into it.
Alec Lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Major Player

they better, they need to fix the whole 24p and 60i on the same timeline too..cuz thats a major issue
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I wrote an overview for the COW. Check it out: http://www.creativecow.net
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #6
Major Player

nice..thanx for the article..
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Major Player

I downloaded the PPRO upgrade last night.. My first impressions were not much different all the same effects with exception to the new color correction.

Then I loaded some clips, the conforming is much faster for .mp3 and .avi with audio instead of conforming it just runs a generating peaks routine. Which is pretty fast.

Export Clip Notes is pretty cool. The output to DVD I like it's great for exporting rough cuts and has the ability to build menus and choose your transcoding selections. No dolby though, it would have been nice to at least have the AC3 feature from Encore in it. While it has surcode still it's limited to 3 uses and then requires more $$$ to activate like normal.

Titler is much better in my opinion, ability to have multiple titles open in the titler as seperate tabbed windows, that's a big upgrade for me.

The best think I like about it is multicam editing. It's a little cumbersome to use, but once you do it and understand the setup it's cake. The $200 upgrade in my opinion is worth it alone for the multicam editing.

Basically you create a sequence and drop in up to 4 video tracks V1-V4. Highlight all your tracks and right-click and click on Syncronize. Then choose your sync point (4 options; Start of Clips, End of Clips, Timecode or Manual Marker)

Then create a new sequence and drag your first sequence into the new one. Click on Multi-Cam and then in the Program window open the Multicam Window. 4 tracks load into the QUAD window with 1 output window. Tap that RECORD button and hit play. Then just click the window out of the 4 you want to use as it plays through. DARN sweet in my opinion especially for us multicam wedding ceremony folks.. Once your complete your sequence updates with all your cuts and you can transitions and anything else you want at this point it's just your normal timeline with all your cuts. You can also choose to use 1 audio track all the way through or use the audio from each video layer.

While there is more presets for different formats, etc..etc.. I don't have a use for them so I haven't used them. If you have PhotoShop CS2 already with Bridge this upgrade will upgrade your bridge to the current version. So you don't need Production Studio to use Bridge, however Dynamic Link (sp?) you need Production studio.

Rendering seems a bit faster than 1.5, but the jury is still out it could have been mental horsepower..:) I'll probably buy production studio when Matrox gives the greenlight for use with the RT.X100.

Just my 2 cents..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Wrangler

Looks like Adobe hasn't updated their licensing page to include the new versions yet. For those who already have the Adobe Production Studio, can you tell us if the license still allows one primary and one backup computer (eg, home and work, or desktop and laptop) as the previous licenses have?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Major Player

It doesn't appear soo.. Considering they have a link for their activations now.. And also with PPRO 2 I noticed something last night I didn't notice with 1.5 you can now under Help TRANSFER your activation so you can uninstall PPRO 2 and reinstall it on another computer should you buy a new system.
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Wrangler

Hey Pat, thanks, good to hear about the ease of transferring activation to a new computer.

Activation is a mechanism to enforce compliance with the license agreement. What I was really after was what is written in the actual license agreement for the new software. If the license allows a primary and a secondary (e.g. laptop, or home) installation, then the activation on a secondary computer shouldn't be a problem.

I'm jealous...eager to get the new Adobe software, too...but may wait till I get around to building a new uber-computer to tame large HD projects.

EDIT: Ok, I'm out of the closet...I'm so weird that I actually sometimes reads the license agreements, and worse, the product manuals! Here's a link to the Photoshop CS2 License Agreement:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/...ombinedCS2.pdf

What I'm referring to is para 2.4 "Portable or Home Computer Use." Hoping that doesn't change!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

just a thought here. .

wonder how it would perform with an SLI Dual GFX card configuration..
hmm... the mind boggles...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Hey Pat, thanks, good to hear about the ease of transferring activation to a new computer.

Activation is a mechanism to enforce compliance with the license agreement. What I was really after was what is written in the actual license agreement for the new software. If the license allows a primary and a secondary (e.g. laptop, or home) installation, then the activation on a secondary computer shouldn't be a problem.

I'm jealous...eager to get the new Adobe software, too...but may wait till I get around to building a new uber-computer to tame large HD projects.

EDIT: Ok, I'm out of the closet...I'm so weird that I actually sometimes reads the license agreements, and worse, the product manuals! Here's a link to the Photoshop CS2 License Agreement:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/...ombinedCS2.pdf

What I'm referring to is para 2.4 "Portable or Home Computer Use." Hoping that doesn't change!
Peter I checked my EULA on PPRO 2. It's there the two machine clause. You just are supposed to run them at the same time. So you can install it on two machines.
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Rextilleon

There is a review and an interview with the project manager over at digitalvideoediting.com I tried to download my upgrade today but on both occassions their were corrupt files when unzipping. I will get the disk next week. It looks like a really nice upgrade. I particularly like the pdf note feature----makes sending rough stuff to clients very easy.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mintzer
There is a review and an interview with the project manager over at digitalvideoediting.com I tried to download my upgrade today but on both occassions their were corrupt files when unzipping. I will get the disk next week. It looks like a really nice upgrade. I particularly like the pdf note feature----makes sending rough stuff to clients very easy.
Hrm sorry to hear about the download troubles, I was luckily enough to do it the minute they posted the order links, so I guess I lucked out. Clip notes is pretty cool.. I was playing with that earlier today.. What's really cool is you can FTP the video to a server and the PDF will link to it.. Unless it's like a short video with low encoding then you can just embed and email..
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #15
Inner Circle

PP 2.0- Free trial put me in Uninstall limbo

I have had trouble with free trial. I ordered upgrade version, but got anxious to see how it works, so I downloaded free trial version too. It loaded first time okay, but there was not preset for HDV ??. So I decided to uninstall. It would not uninstall properly. So I tried reinstalling over the old installation. It went through the process, but when I start up, it give me a screen that says the version isn't registered, and it won't start up. So now I can't uninstall, or use the trial version. Worse, when I first installed the trial version it said I must uninstall it before installing my paid for version.

Now what ? Anybody ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite