Inexpensive softbox for Lowell DP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 24th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Inexpensive softbox for Lowell DP?

looking for an inexpensive softbox/speedring for my Lowell DP light. Any Suggestions? (at least 24" or 32")

specifically -- which ones are compatible?

Thanks --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

James,
Chimera, Photoflex and the Riffa light are all GREAT products. They are built to last, and cost a nice piece of change. If you can find them used on ebay, they are still a great buy.

Short of that, they DYNAPHOS brand sold by Amvona is the better version of the cheap knock-offs. BUT they don't sell it with a speed ring that will fit the Lowel DP lights.

The trick is getting the speedring that fits. I bought a chimera speedring off of ebay, specifically FOR the lowell DP light. Great deal, got it for 60 dollars. Trouble is, it only fits ONE of my DP's. I have three. Two of the newer ones with the detachable power cords, and one older one with the hard wired power cord... that's the one it fits. Seems there is a tiny bit of difference in the circumference of the housings. The newer ones are just a hair larger. (Of course, I suppose it's possible I got an off sized ring)

The box is well made and fits in the chimera speed ring just fine. BUT it is heavy. Too heavy for the lowel friction head to hold the box in place. (It wil SLOOOWLY tilt down towards the ground) I find that by clipping a sand bag to the back of the light, to counter ballance the front heavy light box, it works out just fine.

Just some advice going in.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Richard --

Thanks for the feedback, suggestions...

Yeah, I have the newer one with the detachable chord -- humm.

Love Chimera, they're great and would love to own one, but hoped to find something a tad less expensive. Have checked ebay already --

Anyone else out there own a newer DP for which you've found a moderate priced softbox? I guess the mystery is -- which speed ring works with the DP?

Anyone?

Thanks --
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Okay, found a speed ring for the DP light at B & H (by photoflex):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=321306

$69.95

and the softbox...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

$173.80!!

Ouch... for some cloth ;-)

Gotta be a slightly less expensive alternative -- No?

Considering the Chimera is $305.00 for the same size -- maybe I won't find cheaper?

Help!
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

James,

That's a good price on the speed ring. Like I said, the softboxes from Amvona.com are a good bargain for the price point when you pick them up at auction. I got the 36x36 with the 'accessory kit' (circle mask, square mask, and 'egg crate') for 35 dollars plus shipping and handling. You just have to watch the auctions, and make sure you are bidding on the right size. The box fits the chimera speedring, and I am very very pleased with it. For the price point, the fabric is great, the rods fit into full sleeves, there are heat flaps on all four sides... it's pretty well made.

I DID have a problem with the shipment. It arrived, with a torn corner of the box, and all of the rods were missing. I emailed them about it, and they sent replacement rods straight away. So that's a testament to their service, if not to their packaging and FedEx. They also take a while to ship. Figure two weeks to recieve it.
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again Richard --

Been looking at the Dynaphos, (and can/want to nab one on ebay now) but concerned about the speed ring not fitting as you mentioned. Do you think the photoflex speed ring would work with the Dynaphos softbox (it's less expensive than the Chimera)? Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm not sure if all speed rings can accept any softbox...

Thanks for all your help...
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

James,

Two elements to be concerned with. The INNER diameter of the speed ring, which of course is covered by the fact that the Photoflex says it's for the Lowel DP. (Mind you, the chimera I bought was for the Dp too...)

The other element is the 'outer' diameter of the speed ring. The holes that the rods mount into on the speed ring have a bit of 'play' to them. That is they are actually wider than the rods themselves. This is necessary to allow you to flex the rods into the holes. Some boxes are square -say, 24x24 and others are rectangular - say 24x32. In EITHER case, the rods are going into the same set of holes on the rings. The holes are simply spaced equidistant on the ring.

Because the rods flex, there is a certain ammount of leeway in the fit to the box and ring. How much between the particular speed ring you buy and the box??? No idea. I bought the box, assuming that it would fit on the ring, and it did just fine. I can't guarantee it will fit on the photoflex ring... but I'd be confortable guessing it will.

The kit I bought from Amvona also came with a speed ring, though I assume it fits their particular brand of FLash or continuous light. It would never fit on a Lowel DP or Omni or Tota, all of which I have in my kit. So you WILL have to get a DP specific speedring from either chimera or photoflex or someone else.
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Richard --

Very clear now thanks -- going to go with the Dynaphos box and...hopefully the photoflex will work. If not -- I'll go with the Chimera.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

James,

A final note. If you can find a heavy duty swivel mount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DW0Gtz5Xz7!-263455065?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=138156&is=REG&addedTroughValue=140665_REG&addedTroughType=accessor y_detail

That will take the weight off the light mount, and place it on the center of balance around the speed ring. A much better and elegant solution than hanging a counterweight off the back of the DP light.
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Richard –

Thanks again very much for the help. My Dynaphos softbox arrived today – very nice actually. Not quite a Chimera (harder to take the rods out once assembled among other things), but very good.

I’m off tomorrow to B & H to pick up a speed ring (the one that came with it definitely doesn’t work) – and the swivel mount – thanks for the tip.
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #11
Inner Circle

James,

Glad you liked it. I do think it's good value for the money. I ordered a softbox from a different vendor before the dynaphos, and was not very impressed with it. IT only cost twenty dollars, and was barely worth that. Though the speed ring that came with it will fit my OMNI lights, so I figure it was worth that much alone, to be able to put the Dynaphos on the omni or the DP.

There's no question that a CHIMERA is a better product, and worth every penny, and I'll probably pony up for one in the coming year, but I needed the Dynaphos and got a great auction price, and I'm happy to have it in the Grip kit.
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Richard --

Actually, I’m very impressed with the Dynaphos soft box with the Photoflex speed ring (which fits great by the way). Not quite as elegant or ergonomic a solution as Chimera – but for a fraction of the cost it’s VERY usable and certainly meets the level of professional gear.

The swivel mount is a MUST. The softbox is definitely way too heavy for the DP light – like you said, it just slowly heads south. I tightened the adjustment bolt on the DP (as to stabilize it) to where it would take the Hulk to get it loose again. Adjusting the tilt with the swivel mount after that is a breeze – and it holds it dead in place.

Thanks again for the great tips –
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #13
Inner Circle

James.

FYI, somebody sold their USED Dynaphos softboxes on ebay yesterday, for over 75 dollars, which is a lot more than I paid for mine new!

Yeah, like I said, if you pick them up at a low price on the auctions, they are a real steal.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management