New Music Video Shot on FX1e at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Music Video Shot on FX1e

Hi Guys, Just completed another video, which again, i shot on my FX1e. This time, i used a Kona LH card, and captured DVCPRO-HD directly from the component outputs on the camera. One reason for this is that we did have to do several Chromakey shots using a greenscreen, and found the HDV format to be unsuitable.

The quality difference between the DVCPRO HD footage, and the native HDV capture's we did prior to the shoot was remarkable, especially, the lack of compression artifacts and blocking. Most noticable for me was the abillity to really push the colors around a great deal in post... this time using shake, to grade the finished video. The DVCPRO-HD format basically had far greater color information, and made this process simpler and more enjoyable, and i think the results are pretty good.

I will get some full resolution stills up as soon as possible for you guys to see.

On another note, please don't email me about making you a 35mm adapter, i get many emails every day requesting this, and this is simply not something I am able to do at the moment, sorry.

Please feel free to ask any questions or leave feedback, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, Nick

www.pixelloft.com/akala.htm
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey the use of capturing off the components really show, you pulled off some really good key there, I'm impressed, the colours do look alot "cleaner" thats not a surprise, when you work at 4:2:2 colours can really be pushed without fear of snaping it.

Good work Nicholas !

Anhar Hussain Miah
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Capture DVCPRO HD directly from Sony Camera, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
i used a Kona LH card, and captured DVCPRO-HD directly from the component outputs on the camera.
Does this mean you took SD signals from the FX1 into Component in on the Kona Card? There aren't any HD Component out signals on the FX1 are there? If you did take HD component from the Sony you would have had to convert into DVCPRO HD on the Kona side not "captured DVCPRO-HD directly from the component outputs on the camera" which is what you said. Sony doesn't output DVCPRO HD.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Major Player

That was an awesome video! Great track too. I'd buy it. Very professional, great production values, great lighting, seriously it looks like it cost £30,000. Will chat to you soon Nicholas.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Yasser and Anhar, I really pleased you liked it.

Hi Douglas, thanks for your post, I think you sound somewhat confused, so ill try and explain it a bit better. The FX1 had 1080i component analog outputs. I had assumed that everyone new (and i am sure that most people do know) that you can't possibly transmit a digital DVCPRO-HD encoded signal via and analog connection. The signal is, like all analog connections not encoded, which is not to say that it wasn't encoded prior to conversion to analog.
I did in fact capture DVCPRO-HD (Whereby the G5 and Kona card was my capture and encoding device), directly from the uncompressed component outputs on the Fx1. The obvious reason for doing so was to use the far higher quality DVCPRO-HD codec instead of the typical HDV MPG one.

I hope this clears things up for you, and thanks for your questions and comments,

Regards, Nick
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Major Player

JUst wondering when your tapping directly into the HD source, and then encode to dvcpro-hd, what sort of chroma resolution are you getting? and how much space per minute is dvcpro-hd taking up on your HDD?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Why not keep it uncompressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
I did in fact capture DVCPRO-HD (Whereby the G5 and Kona card was my capture and encoding device), directly from the uncompressed component outputs on the Fx1. The obvious reason for doing so was to use the far higher quality DVCPRO-HD codec instead of the typical HDV MPG one.
Have you found a capture card that lets you input 1080i component analog and outputs 8-bit HD SDI to the timeline? What I wanted to do from a workflow perspective was edit uncompressed 8-bit HD SDI then burn straight to WMVHD from the timeline PP2. Thereby maintaining as much of the quality as possible.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Nick,

I looked at the video. Very cool. Also looked at some of your other videos. Very much like the look you manage to get.

I saw some of the stills and see you're using a a DIY 35mm adapter. Which monitor are you using? (the one on top of the camera.) Does it allow critical focus and color or do you have another monitor for that?

Rick
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #9

Excellent, excellent colors and content, Nick. The Sony HDV tour significantly showed off from your 3Flex piece, coming from a Qualia on the master you sent. This one is terrific work as well.
Love that uncompressed output!
Which 35mm adapter are you using?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #10
New Boot

Excellent

Wow, i just can tell.. wooooooow... tha lighting, the main idea, the shots are great... I wish some day I can do anything alike. Congratulations!

I would love to see pictures fo your backstage. How you get the upright position dancers? what is the trick? After effects? Greenscreen? an inverted room?

Great JOB!
http://estamosenvideo.com/yasik
Carlos Yasik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #11
New Boot

Simply amazing! great job! the artist is pretty good too.
Philip Thangsombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #12
Major Player

Not my style of music, but I really enjoyed this video. Great work
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #13
Regular Crew

hey guys, thanks for all of your posts, i'm really pleased that the feedback is so good... you never can be sure.

Yasser, i would imagine the chroma resolution is 4:2:2, and the datarate of 1080i 50i DVCPRO-HD is 17.26Mbytes/sec i believe.

Douglas Call, the capture card is the Kona LH for the Mac or PC. This has analog inputs and will capture on a mac with a host of different codecs (including 10bit uncompresed HD), and on a PC, with a raid, it will capture uncompressed HD if you have the money. The best option if you can afford it is to capture to the sheer video codec, which will half the bandwidth and datarate requirements, however the codec is totally lossless. Uncompressed capture at half the cost!

Hi Rick, I will be uploading some behind the scenes stills over the next couple of weeks. I do all the focus pulling myseld, and i use either the lcd mounted on the hotshoe, or the on camera lcd. Get a bit of eye strain, but what the hell. A remote controlled Follow focus is on my christmas prezzie list, but its a long time till christmas :) I use an 800 line sony PVM14L3 Broadcast Finishing Monitor on shoots, for checking exposure, lighting, and focus on locked off shots etc.

Douglas Spotted Eagle, thankyou for using the 3lflex vid on the tour, i'm pleased it has been successful. i am using my own design of 35mm adapter, which i believe is slightly different to alot of the designs around here. (i think there is an old post on here about how it is built)

Thanks Carlos, well there were a couple of tricks, one of which was a giant greenscreen, and the other was an upside down set, which myself, my AD, my girlfriend, and a set builder constructed painstaikingly over christmas, in the freezing cold. (wasn't fun)

Thanks to all you guys, Im glad you like it, and i hope this has addressed all your questions.

Cheers, Nick
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #14
New Boot

I would like u to see what i've tried to do...

Im editing a video in after effects that I shot my self for a female group, I used mainly green screen, I would like u to tell me what u think of it (Production, not the music nor the girls, lol)

Am I getting closer for professional resultS???

www.estamosenvideo.com/movies/sweet_intro.mov

Thanks in advance

PS. Im becoming a fan of your work!
http://estamosenvideo.com/yasik
Carlos Yasik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Nicholas
Really really good. Were the singers/band lip synching/playing to their recorded master? I have no clue about music video's obviously......but how long/how many takes did it involve to get this done.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1