Letus35 Flip w/ HC1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35 Flip w/ HC1?

Has anyone tested this combination?
Any image issues?
Footage?

Thanks.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=149990
Kevin Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

http://rpster.shutterfly.com/action/...=1138149861909
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

check my sig kevin.
so far the only problem that ive had is the ghost image, which isnt really a problem since it only happens in certain situations. no dust either.
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

the clip looks impressive .. has lot of super8, but low DOF and more resolution - what Glass did you use ? And what Gain / Aperture - how many light loss ?
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

No vignetting?
It's hard for me to compare that footage to mine. Would you say its gives a sharper picture than the Letus35 original?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=149990
Kevin Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

@R.P. Cuenco
I like to build the same rig with an A1 and the Letus Flip - is it possible to change tapes (bottom loading *sic*) when the HC1 is mounted on the cavision ?
Do you have a recommendation where to get the cavision system for a good price ?
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

for bottom loading, i got that shim that that one guy is selling (dont remember, he's here on dvinfo, check the hc1 section)
also, i just got my rods straight from cavision, as they set the price. plus its two day shipping.

im not sure if its sharper than the letus35a, i assume its the same gg and optics, minus the mirrors. then again, quyen is always making it better.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

*deleted* double post
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

RP - Thanks for the images. Like others, I'm interested in a Letus35A with an A1U setup. I have a couple other questions:

For your rod system - is that just the standard Cavision Rod Support System for MiniDV? How is the rod system connected to the Letus35 (it looks like there is a mount on the Letus, but I can't really see in the picture).

Also, not sure if you'd know this as you have the flip model, but would the adjustable front bracket on the rod system work with the regular Letus35? The flip seems to be offset much lower.

Finally, you mentioned you have the shim for the bottom-loading work around for the HC1/A1U. It's not in your pictures though. Can you be using the shim, with the Letus35 and the rod system?

Thanks in advance.

- Stevan
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevan Arychuk
For your rod system - is that just the standard Cavision Rod Support System for MiniDV? How is the rod system connected to the Letus35 (it looks like there is a mount on the Letus, but I can't really see in the picture).
Yes it is the standard rod supports with the lens support bracket. Specify this when you order it.

Quote:
Also, not sure if you'd know this as you have the flip model, but would the adjustable front bracket on the rod system work with the regular Letus35? The flip seems to be offset much lower.
The flip is offset by about 1.25". for any rods accessories (i.e. matteboxes & follow focus) one must obtain the correct spacing between the optical axis (center of lens) to the center of the rods. i think it's 85mm. that means boosting your camera high enough so the offset is at the correct height. the letus35 flip will also have to be put on some sort of shim since the support bracket that comes with the cavision isn't tall enough.

on a regular letus35a, you wont have to boost the camera as high, but you will still require a shim for the adapter.

Quote:
Finally, you mentioned you have the shim for the bottom-loading work around for the HC1/A1U. It's not in your pictures though. Can you be using the shim, with the Letus35 and the rod system?

Thanks in advance.

- Stevan
that was before i got the bottom-loading shim. and yes, it works beautifully with the cavision rods.
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #11
New Boot

vibrating noise? and where can I buy?

Hey all... finally I have found this thread :)

I've been looking for samples of the letus on an HC1 to see how it looks... and from the sample clips looks good, but because of the audio track on the one (sf_demo), I was not able to hear the actual footage, which leads me to this question: How noisy is the Letus when it's turned on? Like, do you need to be right near it to hear it, or can you hear it runing from 5ft away in a quiet room?

Also, is the Letus sold anywhere, or is it a DIY project? Because I haven't been able to find out where you buy one, or if there is an official website?

thanks,

jg
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gerber
How noisy is the Letus when it's turned on? Like, do you need to be right near it to hear it, or can you hear it runing from 5ft away in a quiet room?

Also, is the Letus sold anywhere, or is it a DIY project? Because I haven't been able to find out where you buy one, or if there is an official website?
The letus is not too noisy. It's pretty silent actually, BUT being next to the camera and the camera's mic, its sound is recorded and it can ruin your material. So you better use an external mic, you shouldn't get the noise then.

The letus is made by Quyen Le, a poster in this forums. Here's the website: http://letus35.com/
Mike Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #13
New Boot

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if there are any examples/test footage out there that shows an example of the Letus 35 turned on, and using an external mic (but having the external mic 'close' to the camera?)

Reason I ask, is because I was thinking of the potential for using an external mic on the HC1's hotshoe, -or- by just keeping one on myself, but either way the mic would be within a couple of feet from the adapter/camera.

And before I get the old "if you making a film, you should be doing audio seperate anyways...etc...", the reason I was thinking of using one of these adapters, was for once and a while for family stuff... so that in the end, it would replicate the look and feel of the old family films on 8mm.

thanks again,

jg
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:32 AM   #14
Major Player

I am also interested in samples with audio.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #15
Regular Crew

@R.P. Cuenco

can you remember the HC-1 settings (gain and aperture) for your Letus 35 flipped footage ? How many Light loss your rig has ?

thanks!
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods