HC1 or A1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM   #1
New Boot

HC1 or A1U?

Ok, my situation. I'm going to move into HDV. I've been trying to find the differences between the HC1 and the A1U. So far I've found these:

A1U comes with the XLR adapter/ the "black stretch" option and a shotgun mic. What other differences are there?

I really like the idea of having 2 balanced audio imputs, but I don't know if I want to spend the extra money for it.

If someone could just list any differences that I don't know about, that would help me decide.
Aric Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2
New Boot

Also, does anyone edit HDV in FCP 5 with an iMac G5? If so, tell me your experiences with it. Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Hendrix
Ok, my situation. I'm going to move into HDV. I've been trying to find the differences between the HC1 and the A1U. So far I've found these:

A1U comes with the XLR adapter/ the "black stretch" option and a shotgun mic. What other differences are there?

I really like the idea of having 2 balanced audio imputs, but I don't know if I want to spend the extra money for it.

If someone could just list any differences that I don't know about, that would help me decide.
May not be that much extra money. Sony is offering $500 rebate on A1U- You can net it at 1999 at B&H.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4
New Boot

Still $500 more. The HC1 goes for 1499 and B&H. $500 could buy a lot of accessories. :)
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Still $500 more. The HC1 goes for 1499 and B&H. $500 could buy a lot of accessories. :)

I have seen a lot of discussion on the difference between the two, and you seem to have them covered. And mic is not supposed to be that great on A-1, so that is not a benefit.

I've had to make the decision on two Sony purchases PD 150 or VX 2000 and
Z1 or FX1. I ended up with VX and FX1 for same reasons you cite..
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #6
New Boot

Anyone have any experience with this? http://www.beachtek.com/dxa2s.html

I know it's probably a lower end piece of hardware for this forum, but I figured I could get the HC1, then add this when I need the better audio option.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If you go with an HC1 and the BeachTek, you've closed about half the gap in price between the HC1 and A1U already, and then you need a microphone to plug into the Beachtek (the shotgun that comes with the A1U may not be a Sennheiser, but it's got to beat the mic in the HC1, so it is worth something).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

cine gamma
black stretch
underscan / bw - viewfinder
XLR
- go for A1.
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Major Player

A1

A1. You want the balanced XLR's.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:08 AM   #10
Regular Crew

For $500, you get:

XLR inputs on an amazing audio module (at least $250)
A pretty decent microphone ($200)
Better lens hood w/ auto lens cap ($70 for the A1's lens hood)
Traditional shoe adapter (priceless)
Black Stretch
DVCAM
Peaking
B/W EVF
Full scan mode
CinemaTones
CinemaFrames
Excellent timecoding
and much, much more...

There are over 40 features that the A1 has over the HC1, making $500 a small price to pay.

However, it all depends on your needs. What do you need the camcorder for? If all you're doing is family videos, save the money and buy some accessories. If you plan on doing some indie-filmmaking, I would definetly go for the A1 as XLR will be essential.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:45 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with this? http://www.beachtek.com/dxa2s.html

I know it's probably a lower end piece of hardware for this forum, but I figured I could get the HC1, then add this when I need the better audio option.
I use DXA-4 on my VX 2000 and my FX1, and it works fine.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Wrangler

I'd pick the A1U too, especially if you're considering the Beachtek. You'll have to un-screw the Beachtek from the HC1 everytime you change tapes. It's already a big hassle if you're using a tripod. Stretching your money a little now, can save you a lot of aggravation later.

An even bigger plus for me, the Sony A1U also has phantom power, which gives you more choices when selecting and using mics.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I use DXA-4 on my VX 2000 and my FX1, and it works fine.
I think i read someewhere that somebody said that the Beachtek modules were a problem with HC1 due to bottom-loading. May be true, may not.

Something to consider.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
I'd pick the A1U too, especially if you're considering the Beachtek. You'll have to un-screw the Beachtek from the HC1 everytime you change tapes. It's already a big hassle if you're using a tripod. Stretching your money a little now, can save you a lot of aggravation later.

An even bigger plus for me, the Sony A1U also has phantom power, which gives you more choices when selecting and using mics.
Sorry Mike - i hadnīt read your post when i posted about the bottom-loading thing !
I agree about the XLR module with phantom power - it keeps your options open for a much bigger selection of mics going forward.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM   #15
New Boot

Wow, awesome help! Thanks everyone. Couple of questions

Why is a B&W viewfinder better then a color one?

can someone explain full scan mode?

Thanks

Oh, I'd be using the camera for a wide range of projects from home use to lite wedding use to commercials for my church, ie skits and or topical illustrations. Thanks.
Aric Hendrix is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series