capturing a solar eclipse on the Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #1
New Boot

capturing a solar eclipse on the Z1

In the next few weeks I will have the oppurtunity to capture a solar eclipse (with about 90% visibility) on the Z1. I am curious, will i need any specific lenses to capture this properly? What would be the best way to shoot this?
Mathew Lipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Lipman
In the next few weeks I will have the oppurtunity to capture a solar eclipse (with about 90% visibility) on the Z1. I am curious, will i need any specific lenses to capture this properly? What would be the best way to shoot this?
You will need a solar filter to reduce the amount of light to a level that won't damage your camera's optics (google "solar filter 72mm" for tomething like http://www.highpointscientific.com/s...Category=6674). A supplemental telephoto might be desirable to increase the solar image size, but I would look at some published eclipse photos to see what field of view I wanted to capture the effects you see around the Sun at full eclipse.

Some people use a high density welders mask filter for viewing the Sun. For a special event such as this I'd want a filter designed for solar viewing.

Safety lectures sure to follow.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Absolutely, for sure, DO NOT aim the naked lens at the sun.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

You might also want to read about telephoto adaptor lenses in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58525
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #5
New Boot

i do own the 2x 72 mm telephoto lens, it isnt very good (there is always a black ring around the picture at close range with it on), would it be compatible with a solar filter?
Mathew Lipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Lipman
i do own the 2x 72 mm telephoto lens, it isnt very good (there is always a black ring around the picture at close range with it on), would it be compatible with a solar filter?
Sounds like you're getting some vignetting. That might not be so noticeable during the eclipse, although it would likely be made worse with the solar filter.
Perhaps there is a 4x4 solar filter available for a matte box.

You could get a good idea of the field of view and the vignetting effect by shooting the full moon.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

You can make a quick filter by burning a candle under a piece of glass.

The smoke will make the glass dark, but you will be able to see the eclipse, just be careful as the black coating will rub off easily.

You might even want to try this on a clear protective filter that you don't care about, coat the inside and you got yourself a quick solar filter!

-p
Pete Tews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Perhaps some window tint film? ND gel for lights? Large peice of welders glass? How about the protective curtain used in welding bays? Get a chunk of that stuff and colour correct in post for the green cast.

You should be able to get your mitts on several countermeasures prior to your departure.

I sure like the McGyver-ness of the candle on the UV filter mentioned above...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1