FCP/HD100 - one clip at the time - workaround? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 9th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP/HD100 - one clip at the time - workaround?

Is there a workaround for this issue in FCP? I have tried adjusting my dropped timecode settings in User Prefs and so far "Warn after capture" seems to atleast retain the clip, while "Make new clip" loses the previous clips completely. But still, have to go clip by clip.

I seem to remember similar behavior with my FX-1 right after it came out, but that problem seems to have been worked out.

kaspar
Kaspar Stromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Wrangler

Kaspar,

Can you please give us more info. What format did you shoot (720P30 HDV or DV) and what capture setting are you using (DV NTSC/PAL, HDV 720P or AIC 720P) ???
What position was your TC GEN switch in on the camera? (REC or REGEN ?)
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sure, I'm capturing NTSC HDV 720/30P, TC GEN set to REC. I use the Tape Header feature as well to start each tape at 0. I am using the default HDV720/30P Easy Setup.

I saw this problem described in a previous post ( http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=fcp+drop ) with no resolution offered.

kaspar
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You can't capture across clip boundaries with the JVC in FCP. Page 13 of this Apple document: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Fin..._5.0_lbn_z.pdf

Make new clip should work. Did you upgrade FCP to the latest version (5.0.4)? What does it mean when you say that it looses the previous clip?
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have 5.0.4 and what appears to happen is:

"On Make New Clip" setting displays a “scanning for media” message in the capture window between clips and at end of tape. If capture is stopped while the "scanning" message is being displayed FCP forgets everything it has captured up to that point. (no clips are created). So if I start a tape and let it run past the end of the last clip nothing gets captured.

Both "Abort" and "Warn after capture" settings give me a “stream problem” pop-up message when the it reaches a timecode break and capture stops. A clip is created in the browser. I then have to start capture again. So a tape with multiple clips becomes a real hassle to capture.
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Stromme
So if I start a tape and let it run past the end of the last clip nothing gets captured.
Then don't let the capture run past the end of the last clip. Use log clip and specify an in- and out-point.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite