Future upgrades / product development at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Future upgrades / product development

Does anyone know if Sanyo reps visit this forum? It would be nice to have a list of requested modifications for inclusion in new firmware or product revisions... but only if Sanyo will use the list. I personally have four things that come to mind. In order of importance, these are:

1. Correct the internal codec to kill those jaggies... they detract from this fabulous device. I'd move the quality rating for this camera up a full point if this software flaw was not present.

2. Trust us to upgrade firmware. I know we can download it (at least we could for the C series), and sure we can put it in if we don't adhere to our warrantee agreement, but that's not good enough. Sanyo forbids us from performing the upgrade ourselves. Most advanced devices include a manufacturer endorsed process by which clients can perform the upgrade without shipping the cam off... Sanyo should follow suit. I've been a tech for years; firmware upgrades don't have to be rocket science.

3. This camera is wonderful, but it's so boxy that it's awkward to hold. My old Sony felt like an extension of myself from day one because it fit so well into my hand; this feels like a foriegn object... it's just not ergonomically friendly. I would suggest that a pistol grip, with a molded rubberized front, would make this camera much more comfortable to hold and use. It might also prevent me from putting my hand over the IR sensor, which I find I'm always doing. I'll probably end up crafting something in the next few months.

4. A better condenser mic would be a nice stock option. I too am ordering the little T add-on mic... what a fabulous little device that looks to be. Perhaps Sanyo should offer these as an add-on option for this model.

I'm pleased to say that, aside from the codec issue, this camera is amazing. I do think that if the jaggies are eliminated, Sanyo will find the market for this device is exceptionally large. I'd also suggest that the jaggy issue is fixed fast, as the company should establish a strong leg up on its competition both by demonstrating its dedication to existing customers and by correcting the only significant flaw that detracts from mass adoption.
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wells
Does anyone know if Sanyo reps visit this forum?
I doubt it. Apparently Sanyo reps who have been demonstrating the HD1 at several exhibitions since the beginning of the year are not even aware of the jaggies issue ...
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Major Player

"I too am ordering the little T add-on mic"

..could you give me the make and model Chris? Thanks.
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here is a link to the mic I'm ordering... an SP-SPSM-13.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...tem/SP-SPSM-13

You can see a good-sized picture of it here:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/ma...SP-SPSM-13.jpg

If you aren't sure about the unit, take a look at the specs... not impressive when compared to studio mics, but astounding considering the price and small size.
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
1. Correct the internal codec to kill those jaggies... they detract from this fabulous device. I'd move the quality rating for this camera up a full point if this software flaw was not present.
I suspect the jaggies are the fault of the firmware scaler/resizer/stabilization. Remember that the camera starts with 5.1 megapixels! Nevertheless, the firmware should be fixed!
Quote:
2. Trust us to upgrade firmware.
Here-here! If the boot block of the firmware is designed properly, worst case, a botched update would be no worse than what we have now--a trip to the service center, if that!
Quote:
3. This camera is wonderful, but it's so boxy that it's awkward to hold. My old Sony felt like an extension of myself from day one because it fit so well into my hand; this feels like a foriegn object...
I've never owned a video camera but I've played with conventional camcorders--not enough to develop any preferences, I guess. The HD1 feels okay to me--not great, but I okay. I actually think the design of the HD1 encourages more stable grips than the hold-em up and out technique of a conventional camcorder with a strap. After seeing all the shaky clips posted online, I was very pleased with my first shoots! They only had enough shake to add that "live" look to them--not enough to bother me like some of the others (or some "artsy" films--indie or otherwise ;)).
Quote:
4. A better condenser mic would be a nice stock option. I too am ordering the little T add-on mic...
Please let us know if it picks up any zoom noise.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the mic link, Chris.

I must say, I find the HD1 very comfortable and safe to hold.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Someone who appears to be a Sanyo rep has posted on the forum at stevesdigicams.com and has been very helpful on questions of availability, noting which stores have received the HD1, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)