DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Dropped Frame while Printing to Video

I keep getting a dropped frame error at the exact same place in my timeline while using FCP's print to video option. In the timeline the video is going from DV to HDV. Could this have something to do with it?

Also, I wanted to know if exporting video with compressor multiple times before outputting it to tape would degrade the quality?

Here is an example of my workflow:
1) Import HDV video.
2) Drop HDV video into DV timeline.
3) Edit shots, color correct, etc. Render
4) Export as DV. (I do this for archiving purposes)
5) Bring new DV into timeline. Add additional video and export as DV.
6) Drop the finished project into a DV timeline and print to video. (The reason I have to do this is because it seems to be the only way to keep from dropping frames. Otherwise I would just print to video from step 5)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Nathan VanHoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Nathan and welcome to DVinfo! I've moved your post to the FCP HDV forum where it should get a better response. I haven't worked enough with HDV to give you a definitive answer, but print to video problems are very common in FCP. Unfortunately, that function seems very picky and seems more prone to dropped frames than capturing.

For starters, you should have all your media files (FCP scratch disk setting) on a separate drive, and that drive should be formatted with disk journaling turned off. If disk journaling is turned on then it seems to slow things down to the point that frames are dropped.

In the end you may find that you need to export your video to a file first, then print that file to video unfortunately. I've had a number of problems printing to video using standard DV, even with my media on a fast internal SATA drive....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Do an audio mixdown (Sequence -> Render Only -> Mixdown) prior to Print To Video.
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestion guys!
Nathan VanHoose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite