Sanyo HD1 weird CCD problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD1 weird CCD problem

I was probably one of the first to buy the HD1 when it hit the streets in Hong Kong (2 weeks prior to Japan release). Makes me wonder if I got an "early" batch as I have following problem:

In dim light, the video in the viewfinder as well as in recorded footage is different on the left and right side of the image. While the left side retains more contrast and vibrance, the right side looks washed out.

This problem only happens in video recording mode, not in still image mode and divides the screen 50-50.

After talking to Sanyo HK about this they will replace the main PCB, lens assembly etc...

I was just wondering if anybody else has observed similar problems...
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Can't say I have, nope.
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Major Player

The dreaded SSE that the JVC 100 experienced????
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Sounds like split-screen to me, a la HD100. I was an early adopter of the HD10 three years ago and regretted it within a month. Now, I always test, test, test, then read reviews.

That's why I love the Z1.

heath
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like you are shooting video of a TV screen with the shutter greater than 1/60th or 1/50th, if 50Hz is your country's thang.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

After shooting video all day, I had a problem once with two consecutive still shots being split vertically and generally weird looking. It has never happened again and I have used the camera quite a lot.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Split screen...

Thanks, I'll do some further research on that.

Problem is at least repeatable and the Sanyo service center will replace all relevent parts within 3-4 hours. Can't complain there - plus I got 18 months warranty (probably for that reason).

Otherwise I love the camera and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Much easier to schlepp around than my DVX100.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nope, never shot a TV screen (only have LCD TVs:)

I know what you mean but that is not it. I only shoot outdoors and indoors and first sa the problem in a mixed light night sequence.

It is most prominent in a dim room with a low-contrast surface (such as a uni-color carpet or a wall).

Gut feel is like different amplification of the CCD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
Sounds like you are shooting video of a TV screen with the shutter greater than 1/60th or 1/50th, if 50Hz is your country's thang.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

After reading up on this history...

That sounds EXACTLY like what I am experiencing. I'll forward those descriptions to the service technician as I could not have put it in better words.

I only spend the weekend in HK so I need to prepare this repair-job as well as possible.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden
The dreaded SSE that the JVC 100 experienced????
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen
After shooting video all day, I had a problem once with two consecutive still shots being split vertically and generally weird looking. It has never happened again and I have used the camera quite a lot.
I have had this happen on my old Kodak digital camera... I suspect it's more a result of card corruption. In my case, I'd dropped my card when ejecting it; about 5 images were damaged if memory serves. Surprisingly, one of the images contained parts of the others!
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:52 AM   #11
Tourist

Same split screen and washed out video in normal light.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem too and it's getting worse. I had bought my camera from ebay (which was shipped from HK). Daniel, I will be traveling to HK very soon and I noticed that you mentioned that sanyo will replace the PCB within 3-4 hours. Can you give me the contact information for Sanyo in HK? Also, what kind of documentation will they need to fix the camera?

BTW, have you fixed your camera yet? What was your experience?

Other than this weird CCD problem, I love the camera! ;)

Anyone had the same problem and did you get it fixed anywhere outside of Hong Kong? Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sanyo Hong Kong...

Ken, I have e-mailed you all the contact details.

Good luck with your repair, I am counting 3 verified cases of SSE so far: 2 are my old and "new after repair"...and yours. All bought in HK...

As I mentioned to you, Sanyo HK has shipped my camera's insides to Japan for further testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wee
I'm experiencing the exact same problem too and it's getting worse. I had bought my camera from ebay (which was shipped from HK). Daniel, I will be traveling to HK very soon and I noticed that you mentioned that sanyo will replace the PCB within 3-4 hours. Can you give me the contact information for Sanyo in HK? Also, what kind of documentation will they need to fix the camera?

BTW, have you fixed your camera yet? What was your experience?

Other than this weird CCD problem, I love the camera! ;)

Anyone had the same problem and did you get it fixed anywhere outside of Hong Kong? Thanks!
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #13
Tourist

Hello,
I just recently purchased the HD1 from eBay like you Ken. Mine shipped from HK as well. I noticed the same problem with my camera within 1-2 hours of use. In certain situations the screen is split down the center in color tone. Whenever I shine the camera into light it seems to go away.

I was wondering if you could let me know how your repair went and also send me the contact information for the HK service department. I love the camera, but this issue really bugs me.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:20 AM   #14
New Boot

Lucky Me

I just got my HD1A, and I appear to be the lucky winner of a split screen version. Anyone get any closure on this? I'm going to try to return it. The place I got it from (WildDigital) is closed tomorrow... d'oh!
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM   #15
New Boot

My camera does it too

I believe it is a design defect (I have a USA version). It really really bothers me. Your only solution is to make sure your white balance settings are set accurately for your situation and that you never record higher than 100 ISO. The camera actually records brighter than the preview indicates. I would love to find out what the deal is with this, but I am just going to have to use this camera and eat the cost when a better unit becomes available. At that point we will probably use this for an everyday carrying around camera to catch spur of the moment type things.

If I were you, unless you really need to have a camera now I would return it. If you need to keep the camera for some reason, recording iso 50 or 100, even in low light, will control the fuzziness and mostly take care of the split screen problem. Always turn on all the lights indoors and do what you can to get the light level as high as possible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)