v/s Canon XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

v/s Canon XLH1

Now that it does HD-SDI... what is the difference between HD200/250 and XL-H1?

720p vs 1080i
both do 24p (24f)
both HDV
both have HD-SDI
both interchangeble lenses
6GOP/12GOP vs 15 GOP
$8K vs $9K

what else is the difference?
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

At NAB today, a JVC rep said that for 60p, they will be using a 12 frame GOP to fit the data in the same 19Mb/sec. Not sure about other modes.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
Now that it does HD-SDI... what is the difference between HD200/250 and XL-H1?

720p vs 1080i
both do 24p (24f)
both HDV
both have HD-SDI
both interchangeble lenses
6GOP/12GOP vs 15 GOP
$8K vs $9K

what else is the difference?
Len's options at this point (I'd think) as well as 24p. Also on the workflow side the JVC workflow includes a dedicated deck and the ProHD product line is growing. There are quite a few things that make ProHD attractive over and above the camera itself.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
At NAB today, a JVC rep said that for 60p, they will be using a 12 frame GOP to fit the data in the same 19Mb/sec. Not sure about other modes.
You'd think they would utilize the full 25Mb/sec.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; April 25th, 2006 at 06:27 AM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Dedicated deck?

Has anyone heard what the "dedicated deck" story is for 60p? Has one been announced -- or at least hinted at?

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
Has anyone heard what the "dedicated deck" story is for 60p? Has one been announced -- or at least hinted at?

Tip
You'll be interested to find out that I've been dumping 60p sequences to the HD-100 for some time. It dumps down at 59.94 and captures right back at 59.94 although I have not seen the HDV60p on my screen as Tim Dashwood did. Nevertheless it has been working. This makes me think the existing deck would work.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It has a 60p light on it. So yes I belive it should. The only catch is no SDI and (i could misunderstand this) but I think the component can only do SD video.

As excited as I am about my jvc imvestment I'm kinda disappointed about the canon. I"ve always loved the canon's back to the A-1 digital and to have no future announcement of 60p, no deck and a high price tag. I'm really disappointed....I've been looking for an excuse to switch or invest in a h1 for interlace shoots but I am so happy with jvc 720p I don't see buying one in the future.

I really like the design and feel of the h1/xl-1 but if the guts inside don't have what I need it's of no real use but a toy. I hope they come out with a 720p model to compete.
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #8
JVC America

GYHD250 vs XLH1

Hi Ram,

The GY-HD250 has some major advantage over the XLH1. Here are a few:

HD-SDI out, WITH imbedded audio

Lenses - 2 lens choices available now, and 6 by the end of this year. At NAB, we are announcing 3 new Fujinon lenses, and one new Canon lens. Plus, we have all of hose adaptors available: 1/2" bayonet, 2/3" bayonet, 35mm prime, and 16mm price.

Image inversion - to correct for use of film lenses that invert the image.

TRUE Progressive scan, at your choice of frame rates: 24, 25, 30, 50, and 60

True, broadcast type studio package option, with a camera "sled housing", studio viewfinder, rack-mount CCU

There are more advantages, but these are some of the major ones.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

will the lenses and adaptors for hd250 also work with the hd100?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #10
JVC America

Lens Mounts

Yes, the lens mounts on the GYHD100, GYHD200, and GYHD250 are all the same.
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
and one new Canon lens
Wow, I didn't expect Canon just help out the HD100 just yet, sort of works against their own little cam in a way.

Any way to find out more about these lens options? Just curious on what they are and where the price will land.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
You'd think they would utilize the full 25Mb/sec.
Unfortunately, they did specifically say that it would be 19mb/sec, 12-frame GOP for the 60p. Don't know...but perhaps they are constrained by an HDV standard that says 720p=19mb/sec and 1080i=25mb/sec? Just a guess. Any HDV standards experts know about that?

I'm sure they're doing their best to optimize the codec but since 60p would be used for high-motion images, I guess when the camera hits the streets we'll have to see how the longer GOP really does with that much data.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #13
New Boot

Carl-
We're about to replace our studio cameras and I had a couple of questions about the studio housing. Since we'll be iso'ing each camera via hard drive, can the camera be mounted in the housing with the hard drive attached to the back of the camera? The JVC drawing of the housing and HD250 shows a large 4X3 CRT viewfinder mounted on top which would throw off the center of gravity and require a beefier tripod head, can that be replaced with a 16X9 LCD? What about the CCU, does it have an HD-SDI input? Thanks.
Bob Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #14
JVC America

60p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Unfortunately, they did specifically say that it would be 19mb/sec, 12-frame GOP for the 60p. Don't know...but perhaps they are constrained by an HDV standard that says 720p=19mb/sec and 1080i=25mb/sec? Just a guess. Any HDV standards experts know about that?

I'm sure they're doing their best to optimize the codec but since 60p would be used for high-motion images, I guess when the camera hits the streets we'll have to see how the longer GOP really does with that much data.
Keeping within the 19 mb/sec HDV1 standard was a planned decision.
Since the introduction of the GYHD100U, we started hearing from some prominent customers that they loved the camera, but they wanted to also have a 60P mode. And, they wanted this feature without an increase in bandwidth. Our "magical" MPEG engineers have done just that. The GYHD200 and GYHD250 cameras will employ a new MPEG encoder chip that can now encode the HD signal into a MPEG-2 Transport stream at 720P/60, in the same 19.2 mb/sec bandwidth. This is a major achievement for our factory, and we are very excited about it.

In our booth here at NAB, we have sample HDSDI footage running through this new encoder circuit, and then being decoded back to HDSDI. The orgional HDSDI and the encoded/decoded HDSDI are then connected to two side-by-side DTV1710CGU HD monitors. And the results are pretty amazing. You can't see the difference between the raw HDSDI and the encoded/decoded signal. Some HDVinfo.net members have seen this demonstration, and I believe can verify this. This new encoder chip will be used in the GY-HD200U and GY-HD250U.

This new encoder will also be used in a stand-alone Encoder/Decoder, called the SA-DV50U. This box will have HDSDI, Analog HD, and HDV input, and it will output HDSDI, Analog HD, and HDV
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #15
JVC America

Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fierce
Carl-
We're about to replace our studio cameras and I had a couple of questions about the studio housing. Since we'll be iso'ing each camera via hard drive, can the camera be mounted in the housing with the hard drive attached to the back of the camera? The JVC drawing of the housing and HD250 shows a large 4X3 CRT viewfinder mounted on top which would throw off the center of gravity and require a beefier tripod head, can that be replaced with a 16X9 LCD? What about the CCU, does it have an HD-SDI input? Thanks.

Bob,

The final design of the housing has not been set yet. I will remind our factory engineers to remember the DRHD100 in their housing design.

The Viewfinder may be a LCD unit. I would be surprised if it's a CRT unit.

The CCU that will be used at this time is existing Standard Def. RM-P210U. This unit has SD outputs only. So, a separate BNC coax cable will need to be connected to the camera head for HD or SD SDI. So, to each camera site you would run a 26 pin CCU cable, and a coax cable if SDI or HDSDI are needed.

Future products or accessories may incorporate the SDI/HDSDI signal into a single cable solution, but not right away.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems