Transferring P2 Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transferring P2 Files

I'm trying to transfer P2 files via USB to my computer. I installed the driver, got into PC mode, but as far as copying the files to computer, do I copy both the audio and video folders? Do I need to keep them in those folders? Anything else I need to copy? I'm going to use Raylight to edit in Vegas.

Can I copy files to my computer via Firewire or do I have to use USB?

Thanks for any help.
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

And I must be doing something wrong, because it took 30 min to transfer 5 min of video files. I just copied the video folder from my P2 card in my camcorder to my computer via USB.
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Copy the CONTENTS folder and the LASTCLIP.TXT folder. Reason being, the video and audio take up probably 98% of the space on the card, with the rest of the stuff taking up a tiny amount of space. So you might as well copy it all and keep it all, because someday you may move to the Mac or to Canopus EDIUS or some other MXF-aware application and you may want to import your footage into that application. If you only save bits & pieces, you may be shortchanging your future options.

And yes, you must have done something wrong. I'd bet you either plugged into a USB 1 port, or into a hub or something that's been slowed down by a USB 1 device. If you plug straight into a USB 2 port you should get transfer speeds of around 1GB per minute.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Kino-Eye

P2 transfer benchmarks (informal)

Here's are some ballpark transfer times based on real world testing, your actual times may vary:

BENCHMARK 1: Transfer 4 GB P2 card from camera to Mac: 4 min., 49 sec.

BENCHMARK 2: Transfer 4 GB P2 card to P2 Store: 6 min., 24 sec.

BENCHMARK 3: Trasfer Single Partition from P2 Store to Mac: 5 min., 7 sec.

BENCHMARK DETAILS: Test 1: 4 GB P2 (full card, various length clips, 3.51 GB total), Power Macintosh G5, FireWire 400 cable connected to front FireWire connector, media copied to internal SATA drive; Test 2: 4 GB P2 (full card, various length clips, 3.51 GB total), Load into P2 Store (verification on); Test 3; Trasfer single partition (3.51 GB contents of a full 4 GB P2 card) from P2 Store to Power Macintosh G5 via USB 2.0 cable. NOTE: My PC was not available at the time I did the tests, so I've not benchmarked USB 2.0 transfers to a PC, however, I don't expect the times would be that far off.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay, thanks. I went ahead and copied everything over.
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders