Freelance Rates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Freelance Rates?

I am just wondering if you ever hire a freelance videographer or freelance editor to do some work for you during peak seasons? I am wondering what the going rates are and how you find them?
Todd Westacott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Many options here:

Try placing an ad on craigslist.org or mandy.com. I believe both sites are free to place ads.

Make sure you meet these people in person first before sending them to work with your clients....for obvious reasons.
Also, make sure you see some of their work and "listen" to their work as well ie the audio....and not the music they put in their demo reel.

As for rates. This all depends on how long you need the cam op and what you are charging the client for your package.

My company pays 250.00 to 300.00 for all day shoots as cam ops w/ camera & sticks only. We supply sound gear. This rate is for a package that is 2k is price.

I know of some reputable companies here in LA that pay cam ops only 100.00 to 150.00 for all day atleast 8 hr shoots, thats too low in my opinion.

I'd rather pay a decent day rate and keep a cam op happy to shoot for you.

As for editing rates.....this is a tuff one. I do not sub editing work but if I did I would pay them for completed work and NOT by the hour.
There's a lot of editors out there that are sllllooooowwwwwww!!!!! and if youre paying hourly, you could end up in the negative. Again...check their previous work.

I would also check some references on the help....since its YOUR name they will be representing.

WHen I places ads for help...I always write something like this in the ad:
when replying to this ad, make sure to put "wedding videographer needed" in the subject line as this is a simple test to make sure you are paying attention to what I wrote.

Point is, you'd be surprised at how many replies I got back without them following this simple step. If they do not pay attention to your ad...how will they liten to your instructions in the field. It sounds sorta stupid but paying attention to details is extremely important....to me anyway, and problably to most as well.

Also...make sure to ask your help if they really enjoy shooting weddings...if there only doing it for the extra money.....that is the kind of help I would do without.

good luck.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Major Player

We pay $200 to $300 based on experience and equipment being used. I find it amazing how camera operators think they are worth more. Most shoots last 5 to 6 hours. That's between 40 and 50 per hour, is that not enough?
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I've paid between $10-$20 an hr, and that is using my equipment. I'd pay better, but good help is so hard to find.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player

That's a fair rate you pay Jon, I dont understand why anyone would complain about it. I would even think rates in your region are different than California....meaning less but i am guessing?

Camera ops are worth more depending on gear, experience and all that......plus one must consider that they are shooting for a wedding....and not for Network TV. If I needed a guy with a dsr570 package for a corporate shoot...well, he or she will make a better day rate but consider he has a cam package worth 10's of thousands of dollars

I've placed ads and posted our day rates and got emails from people chuckling at a 300.00 day rate to shoot a wedding as basically "B" camera.
It amazes me.....and most of these guys who essentially laughed at the rate or replied with their own imaginary rate work very little in the real world as a camera ops.....many do short films or very low budget films.......and low budget films pay squat/very little if anything.

Needless to say, I would never hire someone who squaked at a 200-300 rate to shoot a wedding.

They can stay home on a sat or sun and watch football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon East
We pay $200 to $300 based on experience and equipment being used. I find it amazing how camera operators think they are worth more. Most shoots last 5 to 6 hours. That's between 40 and 50 per hour, is that not enough?
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Keith, If you ever need help I'm in Boynton Beach. I have 16 years experience in the industry. Everything from local to national tv.
E-mail me at mark@sharkvp.com. if you ever need help on something.

Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Thanks Mark, I always look here for help first. I've really been slacking since 2004, but definately looking to picking up more work soon.

You want to talk about torture? I know my new HD100 is on a truck, and it will be here today! Everytime I hear something go by, it sounds just like a UPS truck pulling up... I'm looking out the window like every 30 seconds! Arrrrgh!
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Geez guys, your mechanic makes $60 - $80 per hour!
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

That is true, Jim. But he also has his own tools, and years of experience. But I have also found decent guys, just a bit inexperienced, and willing to learn. They work with me, use my gear, and I show them what I want.
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Major Player

huh???? what mechanic is making 60.00 to 80.00 per hour???

so, what mechanic do you know that is making over 100,000.00 per year, that is airline pilot pay or close to it?

that is way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery
Geez guys, your mechanic makes $60 - $80 per hour!
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Capt. Quirk

"huh???? what mechanic is making 60.00 to 80.00 per hour???"

The mechanic that maintains Jim's Lamberghini ;)
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #12
Major Player

even lamborgini mechanics do not make that kind of money.

awww....I know how they make 100k per year, telling the little ol' lady who goes in for an oil change that her transmission needs new high performance thruster valve injector bearings so her engine doesn't blow up and burn her to a crisp;)

all kidding aside.....nice site you have jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
"huh???? what mechanic is making 60.00 to 80.00 per hour???"

The mechanic that maintains Jim's Lamberghini ;)
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #13
Major Player

To give you all an accurate quote, my neighbor is a chief mechanic and makes $30-$35 per hour. That's $60,000+ a year. So if you're getting $50 -$60 an hour shooting you're doing alright.
Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Wait a minute...I just had MY high performance thruster valve injector bearings replaced and I had my muffler bearing greased too! You mean i didn't really need to do that????? ;-()

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Joe.....and I went and changed it! You didn't by chance book a trip did you? We have plenty of openings, but they are filling up fast. Well actually we are open from now till........... Ah come on a book a trip.

http://www.sfgmedia.com/video/leadin.mov I can get you on TV.

You mean you guys don't pay your garage that? I better move off the beach.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques