hd camera which one at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

hd camera which one

Shooting mainly outdoors which big HD camera would be the best? I have looked very hard at the Ikegami HD edit cam simply due to the fact we run Avid and this camera has the hdnx codec like Avid. But also what about RED, F900, Viper? With the editing setup we have what would be the best camera for us. This camera would be used for broadcast and be edited with adrenaline. We have several Z1's right now but broadcasters wont take it in its native form(HDV) and the audio qualities are less superior than the older DSR390's we ran back in the day. We could broadcast HD right now and surely the audio quality is better than a Z1's. What route would you take HD wise? Money is always a concern but just for the heck of it lets say its not, What HD camera with Avid? Thanks
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #2

FW950. Can't beat it at this point.

As far as HDV audio, if you can hear the difference between HDV compressed audio and the very noisy DSR 390 PCM audio, then there is something significantly wrong with how you're recording it. Seriously. HDV audio is only problematic when it's not fed enough level, or if you're recording extreme dynamics such as symphonic works or a very intimate acoustic set in a noisy room where even the ear has a problem with signal to noise. Proper mic techniques obviate that problem.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the help man, I have sat in at NAB at every class you have and just after the last one I got my Z1 rigged out like yours with the red rock and changed from lectro lavs to trams took allot of your advice and the help has been huge. The best advice was changing from the ME66 to a hypercardoid mic for inside audio work. Awsome difference. As for Z1 audio, as you know the more you lower your trim say to -12 even with a hot mic like a ME66 you can turn your audio level dial to 10 on the camera and if someone is whispering it barely bumps the audio bars. So you have to raise your trim in the camera then you get allot of preamp noise. Thats why I was saying the DSR was better, you could whisper and with that camera you could make even a whisper blown out. In other words you had more range with audio levels. Love my Z1 though wouldnt trade it for a thing, maybe a 950. Thanks again for allowing us to pick your brain, priceless.
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Also, where could i find some good info on the 950. Thanks again.
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey
Shooting mainly outdoors which big HD camera would be the best?
If you can afford to wait a few months, the Grass Valley Infinity may have a very great deal to recommend it.

http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/pr...ity/camcorder/
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Major Player

who makes it and is it a xd cam hd camera and how much and is it ready for shipping or still being dreamed about

torreyandlisa@netzero.com
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey C. Harris
who makes it and is it a xd cam hd camera and how much and is it ready for shipping or still being dreamed about

torreyandlisa@netzero.com
The Sony XDCAM HD is here, shipping now. The Grass Valley Infinity should be shipping shortly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition