The Signal Teaser (shot XL-H1 + mini 35) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Trustee

The Signal Teaser (shot XL-H1 + mini 35)

This is the movie we shot in January, the movie is almost done with CC and ready for distribution, I've been sitting on the trailer for a couple of months but got the go ahead to show it off. This is compressed to a dv quality due to space limitations, I'll try and see if I can get my hands on an HD version.

http://homepage.mac.com/edgefox/iMovieTheater13.html

enjoy.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Nick,

That's a wild trailer... Love the noir lighting and it has an authetic gritty feel.

I found the trailer a tad gory for my personal taste, but that's just me (I might have to skip lunch now).

Great work!
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #3
New Boot

I think I shat myself.

Top notch!!! Would like to know your involvment (camera, editor, etc etc.) An just tid bits about the production & if this will be screened anywhere. Would love to catch this.
Eli R Cantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Yeah in looking at the teaser again, I think the gore may be slightly misleading as they're not really pushing that angle so much anymore.

I'm not sure what the distribution setup is, I think there is a DVD distribution more or less locked in, but are looking for theatrical and/or tv distribution. I participated mostly on the camera end of things, but set in on some color correction in leau of the D.P. It was an interesting project and I think that it's got some real potential. I think there is an official website but I'm not sure what it is, I'll try to find out the directors check that pretty regularly and they cna answer more questions then I can.
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Nick, do you work with Jacob G.? Tell him I said hi.

Trailer looks great.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Gentry? yeah totally, he was director number two on this project (there are three spots each with a different director) he also shot a lot of it. I'll tell him you said what's up.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #7
Trustee

A trailer full of buckets of splattered blood and battering people's heads with fire extinguishers puts me off wanting see the entire movie...

I think it needs to be edited to cut out some of the almost overwhelming violent scenes, especially if the actual movie itself is trying to tell a particular story.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Tony, Well said.

I've personally felt that implied violence is far scarier then actual violence.

I believe the trailer was cut this way simply because at the time that was the only footage they had brought in. I think maybe it's perhaps a little too long for a teaser and too gory for a trailer (at least to get to the real idea of what the movie is about) If they decide to cut a real trailer (they're almost finally locked with the movie) then I'll be sure to post that one.

That being said the movie does have it's fair share of blood and guts and smashing and shooting, so perhaps it isn't exactly the type of movie you'd be interested in. Also realize that in the states, for some reason we find the sight of a womens breast far more offensive then someone's head getting smashed in. So perhaps it's different appeals for different societies?
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #9
Tourist

Can you post some lens info?

Nick can you post some info on a couple of shots? I am about to shoot a short this weekend with the mini35 and am a little concerned about the stop loss with the adapter.

There is two shot at about 30s into the clip. Two guys, lot of top light coming down on them as if a skylight is overhead. What kind of stop were you working with here and what kind of lamps did you have to light that?

There is also a close up at about 55s of a girl with a strong kino looking fixture blowing out in the backgroud. Can you give me an idea on how you lit this and a stop for that shot?

As for the camera/adapter configuration, did you lock the camera's iris at any particular setting, and meter at any particular setting for ratios? Or were you lighting by monitor and adjusting things as you go.

Thanks much, footage looks great!
Davon Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The song made it great!
Very well edited trailer! Nice audio, too.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hot trailer - Have you got the web address yet?

I'd like to see more.
James Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #12
New Boot

wow. nice work.
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

nice trailer. How do you achieve that effect where the black guy is running towards the camera with what looks like a chandleer? its a very cool effect.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey andy, that was done with a faster shutter speed 1/125, and a little bit of handheld camera shake.
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Hey andy, that was done with a faster shutter speed 1/125, and a little bit of handheld camera shake.
Thanks for the reply, i will have to try that looks very very cool. Any chance you could create a small movie with different effects, showing whats possible with this camera? and possibly telling us how to do it??

not much to ask eh lol.

Thanks again.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders