GYHD101E and BM HD extreme, cheapest HD recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 18th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GYHD101E and BM HD extreme, cheapest HD recording

Hi, just wonder anyone had try to use component output to link with Blackmagic HD extreme, that';s a card can capture 4:2:2 10bits and below 1000USD, i dont know how much is a PC for this, but guess below 1K USD.

so if works this is cheaper than and HD tape deck.
and better 4:2:2 at 1280 x 720/ 1920x1080'

i like 4:4:4 but the cost of multibridge or HD link is too much

Jy
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I got the HD Pro card by mistake, and now I can't even hook up to it. It was a great price on ebay though, I think I paid $750 for it.
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Wrangler

John,

When the HD100 is live, it can skip the mpeg encoder and output 4:2:2 from the analog component outputs. However, when playing back from tape, the signal has already been compressed into mpeg2 at 4:2:0, so the component outs wouldn't have a huge advantage. Also, you wouldn't be able to grab TC from the camera.

The BR-HD50 deck, on the other hand, because it has RS-422 control allows full offline/online workflows. Offline in DV or JPEG, then batch conform uncompressed HD. The deck even has a half-decent upconverter to 1080i, which would be a real timesaver for some.
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

TApe deck is $$, pc is cheap i guess

Hi,
my intention is not to use tape deck and replace with a pc and HD extreme card, as if u compare the tape format vs 4:2:2 capture in 1280x720 it's almost no tape deck can really capture in this format.

hopefully a shrink down pc and power pack can make it portable to use along with camera on the field.

Harddisk is cheap and the only draw back is not industrial standard. most production houses has deck.
but i intention is CHEAP! just like what i did to DV, capture live to hard disk.

JY
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Major Player

I agree,
cheaper and you can use Cineform or Sheer codec (lossless)...
http://www.bitjazz.com/
Now all we need is a portable solution...A laptop that took these cards with a 7200 drive would be fast enough for Sheer
and you could just transfer footage to an external drive as it fills up...
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
I agree,
cheaper and you can use Cineform or Sheer codec (lossless)...
http://www.bitjazz.com/
Now all we need is a portable solution...A laptop that took these cards with a 7200 drive would be fast enough for Sheer
and you could just transfer footage to an external drive as it fills up...
I think a good option would be the right components for capturing put into one of those small computer cases used at network parties. It seems you would only need a power supply, motherboard, hard drive(s) and capture card. I guess some sort of screen, mouse and keyboard would be needed.

I don't know, but something should be able to be setup on a little cart that would be a lot cheaper than a laptop and would capture a lot more footabe.

If it had a pull out hard drive bay, the hard drive could be changed on the job and then just put into the editing computer.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Jack, can you elaborate...
The closest thing I have been able to find is something like this:
http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Models.aspx
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

barebone ! yeah

I agree barebone is very good to carryaround, i used to have one and the VGA has TV out too, so i just plug in power and small keybd /mouse capture analog and DV.

Keybd /mouse is possible to use a small one or LCD with touch screen

Power is a problem for shooting on the run , but i guess this will overcome by inverter or car battery.

i m more on shooting film for this system so no matter what i need power for light, montior or coffee maker.

no expereince with BM HD extreme, could anyone tell me the spec for PC?
like 4GHZ duo core with 1 GB ram and what about HD? sata or what?

HD extreme is all in one so i cna save a lot to buy converter like multibrdge exterme. and 4:2:2 is not perfect but good enough compare to tape medium
and i do chroma smoothing to 4:4:4 anyways.

thanks
JY
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Major Player

however,
A blackmagic card (x 4) wont fit in that machine (x 1)
Aaarg
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems